Join Early Retirement Today

Re: New Car Jones
Old 01-09-2006, 02:52 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you're looking for something to keep you from buying a new car now, try thinking about what you can get in the future if you wait. I find that every few years a vehicle comes out that I would love to buy. I drove a '92 Honda Civic Si until 2004. During the time I owned that car I lusted after the following cars:

Mitsubishi Eclipse
Mazda MX-6
Nissan Z
Accord hatchback
Lexus SC400
The new Civic Si
Honda Insight

These are all cars that I at one time or another gave some thought to buying because they seemed cooler or better than my '92 Civic Si. But you know what, looking back on it now it's clear that none would have worked out any better for me and except for temporary newness factor none would have given me much joy.

I'm very happy with the Prius that I purchased in 2004 and glad I waited... it's exactly the vehicle I will want to take me another decade, and it wasn't available until just then.

And I'm financially independent at 35 in part because of decisions like that.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Ditto what everyone else has said.*

I totally know how you feel wanting people to talk you out of something that intellectually you know isn't smart, but you're having trouble resisting anyway.* This is a very good sign that your brain is in control (even if just barely, and temporarily!).*

Here's what I've done in the past, and it has worked well:* Don't rule the purchase out -- just resolve to put it out of your mind completely for, say, six months or a year.* I'm not saying that you're forever barred from buying this car.* I'm just saying you're not allowed to think about it for the next year or so.*

If you get it out of your head for a good long time, you may realize it's not as great as you thought.* Or you may change your mind and decide you just don't need it as much as you thought.* Or maybe something even better comes along, in which case you're glad you didn't buy now.* Typically, this is how my mind changes when I wait, and so I'm very often glad I waited.

Or, after putting your car fantasy on a shelf for a while, you may dust it off in a year and find that it's still every bit as desirable as it is today.* Then you can go ahead and buy it and really feel extra confident that you did the right thing.

In sum: simply waiting works wonders.* And it's easy.

P.S.* I'm a strong believer in buying lightly used cars.* I know there are different schools of thought on this, but I really think you're more likely to get a better deal by waiting till the car you want is available used.
SLC Tortfeasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:56 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sheryl, I say get the car if you want it. You are a professional; surely you can afford to drive whatever you want. Carpe diem, Babe.

And Japanese cars hardly depreciate. If you bargain hard, you are hardly out anything for driving a new model.

I bought an Integra GSR new in 2001. It was June, and the new line was coming in.(The Integra was being replaced by the RSX) When it was totaled a few months ago, I got $16,400 -about $4000 less than I paid over 4 years ago. So I had a very nice new car for $1000 per year, and I am really glad.

I bought a new Subaru Impreza Wagon- I considered the WRX, but figured I would just ruin my insurance rates with speeding tickets, so I took the base. But it is quite luxurious, AWD, all kinds of goodies including a sub-woofer, 4 wheel discs, ABS, air bags on the air bags-- and it cost me under $19,000 out the door- and as you know, in Washington that includes a hefty sales tax.

My car is 100% made in Japan. I would be OK with paying an extra $2000 for this feature alone- but it cost me nothing.

Ha
Old 01-10-2006, 12:34 AM   #24
Dryer sheet wannabe

My 1st car was also a 1976 Chev. Vega. LIME GREEN.
I bought it used in 1977, as it was 6mo. old and had
5900mi on it. I paid $2100 for it and drove it for 5yrs,
then sold it to my brother. I only sold it because of the
rust factor(of which they were known). It was only one
of two cars that looked good in LIME GREEN, the other
being the 71-72 Cutless. I think you always remember
your 1st.
CZAR 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:03 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
My car is 100% made in Japan. I would be OK with paying an extra $2000 for this feature alone- but it cost me nothing.

Ha
You sure about that, Ha? My 2003 Legacy was put together in Indiana.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:39 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, but they were Japanese Hoosiers...* :

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:59 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireme
I find that every few years a vehicle comes out that I would love to buy.* *I drove a '92 Honda Civic Si until 2004.* During the time I owned that car I lusted after the following cars:

Mitsubishi Eclipse
Mazda MX-6
Nissan Z
Accord hatchback
Lexus SC400
The new Civic Si
Honda Insight

These are all cars that I at one time or another gave some thought to buying because they seemed cooler or better than my '92 Civic Si.* But you know what, looking back on it now it's clear that none would have worked out any better for me and except for temporary newness factor none would have given me much joy.
I am totally with this person.* There's always something out there that really grabs us!* Sherryl - we also have a RAV (a 2001) and I saw a picture of the new, bigger one, and YES, it looks great!!* But you do have to wonder if something else might grab you next year or the year after...

Me, I'm looking forward to seeing what other crossovers they come up with.* I drive a 94 Accord, and even though it's tempting to buy something newer, there is so much life left in the Accord, I just can't justify getting rid of it.* On the other hand, if Honda brought back the Accord wagon, I don't know if I could resist it.

But I doubt that I'll have a chance, since DH seriously wants a 4wd pickup truck.* At that point, I inherit the RAV, unfortunately.* We're thinking maybe we'll be able to pick up a used Ridgeline in a couple of years.* **

In any case, the longer you wait to buy new wheels (barring serious mechanical or other problems) the more you save.* And with us, that is the bottom line.

CJ
cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:22 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZAR 8
I think you always remember your 1st.
Yup! Mine was LIME GREEN too!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:30 AM   #29

Well, thanks everybody.* As usual, much good, although contradictory advice!* I'm starting to get really dependent on all the opinions here* - SO asked what we should have for dinner, and I said, hold on - let me go ask the ER Forum!* * .*

I think the initial wave of lust will pass and I'll wait at least a few months to do anything.* I bought both the Tercel and the first RAV when they were new on the market - because they were cute and unique.* I'm sure I paid a premium.*

There are a couple other vehicles I'm interested in too so I'll keep scouting for a lightly used something.* When it comes right down to pulling $20k plus* out of the bank and plopping it in a car salesman's hand, I just can't do it.*

(So please don't revoke my forum membership!!!!)
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:52 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Some things you just have to keep a tight grip on.

Since moving here - there is a certain sports bar and an Applebee's on two main drags - I steer around on a certain Sat night each month.

Hot Rod night - once a month - some of which have for sale sign's in the window.

32 Ford three or five window coupe ??

Not getting any younger - but!!! - only 245000 miles on my little GMC Sonoma - plus I sprung for five sacks of tube sand at $2.99 a bag plus tax for winter traction.

Sooner or later will scrub the budget no.'s and rationalize a little frivolity.

heh heh heh heh

And no - I won't call it necessary transportation!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:13 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl

There are a couple other vehicles I'm interested in too so I'll keep scouting for a lightly used something.* When it comes right down to pulling $20k plus* out of the bank and plopping it in a car salesman's hand, I just can't do it.*

(So please don't revoke my forum membership!!!!)
That's what I'm doing, just keeping an eye out for a good deal on a lightly used one. I plan to keep my Isuzu for another year but if a good buy comes along, might pull the trigger. My mother has a 1990 Delta 88 Olds and believe it or not, it has only a little over 22k miles on it. Not gonna rack up much mileage just going to the local stores. The car drives great. Shes 88 and her eyes are beginning to fade so she probably won't be driving much longer. It will be a good car for me driving back and forth the the golf course when I retire.*
Old 01-10-2006, 08:15 AM   #32

I am a car guy and know how you feel. Been lusting after the 911 turbo since it came out in 2001. Every year I look at the used market and just smile. When they first came out they were 120k now you can get a 2001 for 70k. I told my wife when our networth hits $1M I am going to get one.
We've lived below our means for a long time and this will be the first extravegant purchase ever. Can't wait till we hit $1M for more reasons than one!
Old 01-10-2006, 08:19 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
That's what I'm doing, just keeping an eye out for a good deal on a lightly used one. I plan to keep my Isuzu for another year but if a good buy comes along, might pull the trigger. My mother has a 1990 Delta 88 Olds and believe it or not, it has only a little over 22k miles on it. Not gonna rack up much mileage just going to the local stores. The car drives great. Shes 88 and her eyes are beginning to fade so she probably won't be driving much longer. It will be a good car for me driving back and forth the the golf course when I retire.*
I bought new for the last two cars (made the most sense for us). However, if I am still doing my fugly commute when my ride falls apart (got a few years), I will strongly consider buying the cheapest 3 YO car that gets high reliability marks from Consumers. I am the only one in the car 99% of the time and I'm not that particular, so long as it runs and is comfy enough.

- George Orwell

Old 01-10-2006, 11:54 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
You sure about that, Ha?* My 2003 Legacy was put together in Indiana.
All new cars are required to have a sticker, giving % sourcing. Wherever the Legacy may be made, the Impreza Sport Wagon, GTi, and WRX are 100% made in Japan. Or at least mine was. Forgot right now what city, but the sticker told that too.

BTW, what is the first letter of your VIN? My last 2 cars were 100% Japan Acura and this Subaru, and the VIN of each begins with J.

Ha
Old 01-10-2006, 11:57 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif
Been lusting after the 911 turbo
I had a 911 once...great car to drive. Awful car to own. Plan on something falling off of it every month and the parts to cost about 20x what you'd imagine. Kinda entertaining to have a car that has a cornering limit equal to how hard you feel like being pushed into the door though.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:01 PM   #36

Man, I wish I had some of the discipline that some of you guys have when it comes to buying cars! FWIW, I'm only 35, and got my license a few months before I turned 17. But here's a list of what I've had over the years, in roughly the order I got them...

1980 Chevy Malibu coupe
1969 Dodge Dart GT hardtop coupe
1957 DeSoto Firedome hardtop coupe
1968 Dodge Dart 270 hardtop coupe
1969 Pontiac Bonneville hardtop sedan
1982 Olds Cutlass Supreme coupe
1967 Pontiac Catalina convertible
1988 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo coupe
1979 Chrysler Newport
1986 Chevy Monte Carlo
1989 Plymouth Gran Fury police interceptor
1985 Buick LeSabre sedan
2000 Dodge Intrepid
1979 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Ave
1985 Chevrolet Silverado
1976 Pontiac Grand LeMans coupe

Now only one of them was bought new (my Intrepid) and I never paid much for any of them (I think the convertible was around $3800), and some of them were given to me by family members or friends that just didn't want them anymore. But still, looking back sometimes I think about how much money I could've saved if I had just passed on some of those junkers!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:03 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif
I am a car guy and know how you feel. Been lusting after the 911 turbo since it came out in 2001. Every year I look at the used market and just smile. When they first came out they were 120k now you can get a 2001 for 70k. I told my wife when our networth hits $1M I am going to get one.
We've lived below our means for a long time and this will be the first extravegant purchase ever. Can't wait till we hit $1M for more reasons than one!
Nice thing about that car, other than that it cures any backache you might have by direct pressure when it takes off, is that Porsche owners are fanatical, and unlike some hot cars Porsches get well cared for. You get nice treatment form parking valets too.

Ha

Old 01-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
All new cars are required to have a sticker, giving % sourcing. Wherever the Legacy may be made, the Impreza Sport Wagon, GTi, and WRX are 100% made in Japan. Or at least mine was. Forgot right now what city, but the sticker told that too.

BTW, what is the first letter of your VIN? My last 2 cars were 100% Japan Acura and this Subaru, and the VIN of each begins with J.

Ha
Dunno about the VIN. IIRC, the domestic parts content was listed at something like 50%. Maybe they only make Imprezas in Japan, but do the other stuff in the US? All might change now that they have Toyota as a big brother now.

- George Orwell

Old 01-10-2006, 12:42 PM   #39

Quote:
I had a 911 once...great car to drive. Awful car to own. Plan on something falling off of it every month and the parts to cost about 20x what you'd imagine. Kinda entertaining to have a car that has a cornering limit equal to how hard you feel like being pushed into the door though.
Yeah I heard the maintenance is a monster but I have to have one.

Quote:
Nice thing about that car, other than that it cures any backache you might have by direct pressure when it takes off, is that Porsche owners are fanatical, and unlike some hot cars Porsches get well cared for. You get nice treatment form parking valets too.
Yeah I've seen some owners post their receipts for maintenance so most folks that buy a car like that aren't gonna skimp on the maintenance. That's just part of the deal.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:54 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

I have a similar plan, someday I will buy a Carrera Convertible. Saw one for high 50's the other day (don't need the extra juice of the 911 turbo, I'll be driving slow enough so that everyone can see me anyway! )
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote