Join Early Retirement Today

Re: New Car Jones
Old 01-10-2006, 07:10 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I have a similar plan, someday I will buy a Carrera Convertible.* Saw one for high 50's the other day (don't need the extra juice of the 911 turbo, I'll be driving slow enough so that everyone can see me anyway!* )
My son hasa 911 Twin-T. I think you would have to learn to fly jets to have more juice than this thing can give you. If I hit $3M, I get one. A cool thing about Porsches is that compared to cheaper hot cars, the insurance is not too bad. I guess there are fewer testosterone poisoned teenagers driving them, so the rates are OK.

I read recently that a love for speed may be genetic, at least in part. Same for risk seeking in general.

Ha

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2006, 09:42 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I read recently that a love for speed may be genetic, at least in part. Same for risk seeking in general.
Yeah I think you're right. My great aunt went for a ride in a by-plane for her 81st birthday! Me jumping out of a perfectly good airplane and SCUBA diving is probably from her genes. Wait till I get my 911TT

Old 01-10-2006, 10:40 PM   #43

The Impala built in*Oshawa Ontario is an excellent choice.

My 2003 is the best car I've ever had.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:31 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
You sure about that, Ha? My 2003 Legacy was put together in Indiana.
Yes, all of the Impreza's are built in Japan; I know cause its the car i'm considering now too (the WRX Sedan one though) and I discovered this by researching it.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif
Yeah I think you're right. My great aunt went for a ride in a by-plane for her 81st birthday! Me jumping out of a perfectly good airplane and SCUBA diving is probably from her genes. Wait till I get my 911TT
Just dont go diving in the car, or drive it out of an airplane.

If you have the desire to go diving in a car, get a BMW. I hear they're the ultimate diving machine.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #46

Quote:
I am a car guy and know how you feel. Been lusting after the 911 turbo since it came out in 2001. Every year I look at the used market and just smile. When they first came out they were 120k now you can get a 2001 for 70k. I told my wife when our networth hits $1M I am going to get one.
We've lived below our means for a long time and this will be the first extravegant purchase ever. Can't wait till we hit $1M for more reasons than one!
Me Too! I am actually starting the Search for one right now. Usually takes me about 6 months to find the right car. What I want is:

2002 - 2003 911 (996?) X50 with Navigation and Ceramic Breaks. Makes me salivate every time I think about it. But must show restraint. Has to be the Right Color and an 6 Speed. No Tiptronic rubbish. This car is a real daily driver not like the older 911s. Check out eBay

Fiest Your Eyes on This one...................

http://tinyurl.com/axc8l

SWR

EDIT: Reduced length of URL
Old 01-11-2006, 02:36 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Me Too!* I am actually starting the Search for one right now. Usually takes me about 6 months to find the right car. What I want is:

2002 - 2003 911 (996?) X50 with Navigation and Ceramic Breaks.SWR
I've heard that the ceramic brakes work better.

ha
Old 01-11-2006, 09:05 PM   #48

Quote:
Me Too! I am actually starting the Search for one right now. Usually takes me about 6 months to find the right car. What I want is:

2002 - 2003 911 (996?) X50 with Navigation and Ceramic Breaks. Makes me salivate every time I think about it. But must show restraint. Has to be the Right Color and an 6 Speed. No Tiptronic rubbish. This car is a real daily driver not like the older 911s. Check out eBay
That is one sweet ride. BTW- I dream on ebay. My plan is to get a black one next year for my 34th birthday. Same here give me a 6sp with carbon fiber interior and I'm in heaven. We'll have to compare notes when we get them.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:46 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

My brother just purchased a Honda from a neighbor (70 year old) with ~ 78,000 miles for $2,000 with no significant maintance issues.* Looks great, runs well.* Happy early retiree!
Old 01-12-2006, 08:59 AM   #50

Quote:
That is one sweet ride. BTW- I dream on ebay. My plan is to get a black one next year for my 34th birthday. Same here give me a 6sp with carbon fiber interior and I'm in heaven. We'll have to compare notes when we get them.
That's a rather expensive birthday present, but hey, if you've got the money and you don't need it for FIRE, go for it!
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 09:29 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
That's a rather expensive birthday present, but hey, if you've got the money and you don't need it for FIRE, go for it!
You have to be a car guy to appreciate it. Some things are simply worth the cost. IOHP That is. Others like to eat ..... out a lot.

SWR
Old 01-13-2006, 02:43 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm a fellow car guy.* I'll live vicariously through you.* I drive the "poor man's Porsche"--a 2003 Nissan 350Z.

If and when I buy another sports car, it will be a Ferrari 308.* You can pick them up for between $30 and $40k and, along with the 911, are one of THE classic sports car body styles.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:50 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor
I'm a fellow car guy.* I'll live vicariously through you.* I drive the "poor man's Porsche"--a 2003 Nissan 350Z.

If and when I buy another sports car, it will be a Ferrari 308.* You can pick them up for between $30 and $40k and, along with the 911, are one of THE classic sports car body styles.
I'd rather have the Ferrari 308 than the Porche 911, if I were looking to buy a classic luxury sportscar. A Ferrari is less common than a Porsche on the road.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Old 01-13-2006, 04:09 PM   #54

Quote:
I'd rather have the Ferrari 308 than the Porche 911, if I were looking to buy a classic luxury sportscar. A Ferrari is less common than a Porsche on the road.
In my time I have had the pleasure of owning a Boxer, 308, and a 1989 328. The 4th last 328 Quatro made actually. While the Pinafarini is timeless and titilating, and having also owned over the years such other classics and exotics as Lotus Esprit S4 & V8, older Porsches (A porsche is Not really an exotic I suppose) MG, Triumph, Morgan, AC, etc. And having driven Lambourghinis and The Exotic Jaguar. I now (in my older age ) consider the Post 2001 Porsche 911/996 TT X50 or GT2 to be the refined man's sports car. IMHO of course. Purely because it is drivable as an every day car, which certainly the Ferraris and Lotus' were not. When I finally break down and justify one, it will be my only daily driver.

SWR
Old 01-13-2006, 04:15 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
In my time I have had the pleasure of owning a Boxer, 308, and a 1989 328. The 4th last 328 Quatro made actually. While the Pinafarini is timeless and titilating, and having also owned over the years such other classics and exotics as Lotus Esprit S4 & V8, older Porsches (A porsche is Not really an exotic I suppose) MG, Triumph, Morgan, AC, etc. And having driven Lambourghinis and The Exotic Jaguar. I now (in my older age ) consider the Post 2001 Porsche 911/996 TT X50 or GT2 to be the refined man's sports car. IMHO of course. Purely because it is drivable as an every day car, which certainly the Ferraris and Lotus' were not. When I finally break down and justify one, it will be my only daily driver.

SWR
At that point in your life, you're probably looking more for the selfish driving experience, rather than impressing anyone with an unusual sportscar.

Then again, check these out:

http://tinyurl.com/cmp5j
http://tinyurl.com/9fwo3
[you get a reflection shot of the owner in one of the photos.]

EDIT: Shortened URL's
Old 01-15-2006, 02:26 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Then again, check these out:

http://tinyurl.com/cmp5j
http://tinyurl.com/9fwo3
[you get a reflection shot of the owner in one of the photos.]*

EDIT: Shortened URL's
I've seen these.* There's clearly something wrong with the first one, or it wouldn't have a "buy it now price" under $24k.* Either that, or the seller is a dummy.* And as for the "Murrah," did you look at the interior of that thing?* Monstrous!* The reflection of the photographer is funny though.* Obviously, a man with a very different taste in both cars and clothes.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:12 PM   #57

Quote:
In my time I have had the pleasure of owning a Boxer, 308, and a 1989 328. The 4th last 328 Quatro made actually. While the Pinafarini is timeless and titilating, and having also owned over the years such other classics and exotics as Lotus Esprit S4 & V8, older Porsches (A porsche is Not really an exotic I suppose) MG, Triumph, Morgan, AC,* etc. And having driven Lambourghinis and The Exotic Jaguar. I now (in my older age* ) consider the Post 2001 Porsche 911/996 TT X50 or GT2 to be the refined man's sports car. IMHO of course. Purely because it is drivable as an every day car, which certainly the Ferraris and Lotus' were not. When I finally break down and justify one, it will be my only daily driver.
That is quite a resume of cars.
This was my first car when I was 16. After years of tinkering it looks nothing like when I bought it. Matter of fact I still remember the lady at State Farm laughing at me when I asked her how much would insurance be for a 16 year old with a sports car. Ah to be young again.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of Frontquarter.jpg (51.4 KB, 53 views)
Old 01-15-2006, 09:24 PM   #58
Dryer sheet wannabe

The "mera" is a rebodied Fiero. Hence the interior. Buy a used Fiero and drive it into the ground without regret. Also, anybody interested in used Ferrari's had best research tune-up and maintenance costs. I think it runs around $3500/$5000 for a tune on a 308/28 and up to $7500 on a 12 cylinder Testarossa. Buy a used NSX, have more performance, a better driving experience, a rarer car, better reliability and maintenance at a fraction of the cost.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:02 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimitycity
The "mera" is a rebodied Fiero. Hence the interior. Buy a used Fiero and drive it into the ground without regret. Also, anybody interested in used Ferrari's had best research tune-up and maintenance costs. I think it runs around $3500/$5000 for a tune on a 308/28 and up to $7500 on a 12 cylinder Testarossa. Buy a used NSX, have more performance, a better driving experience, a rarer car, better reliability and maintenance at a fraction of the cost.
Unless of course, like myself, you DIY. I have always maintained all my cars after warranty. Even the Newer cars with OBD2, you can use your computer to find the problems. The older sports ares are even easier. But you do need to be mechanically inclined of course and need a garage to do the maintenance in. Oil changes I leave to the pros, and always use synthetic oils. EVEN in my 1988 Bronco II.

SWR
Old 01-16-2006, 07:57 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimitycity
Interesting. Thanks for the insight.