Join Early Retirement Today
Re: New Car Jones
Old 01-16-2006, 08:43 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Originally Posted by Arif
That is quite a resume of cars.
This was my first car when I was 16. After years of tinkering it looks nothing like when I bought it. Matter of fact I still remember the lady at State Farm laughing at me when I asked her how much would insurance be for a 16 year old with a sports car. Ah to be young again.

Very nice car Arif, I miss my 73 Scarab Zed

TomSimpsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've had new car fever lately. Not too long ago I'd often say I doubt I'll ever buy a new car. My granddad--among others--thinks buying new and driving it several years is cheaper than buying used. So far I've come out very cheaply with used cars, but I'm starting to wonder if it's because I'm good or just lucky. My sister has had horrible luck with used cars, but then she's terribly rough on the new ones, too.

Someone earlier mentioned rentals, but rentals always make me realize how old, decrepit and noisy my current ride is. (I periodically get rentals for business trips.)

I had been planning to put about $1k in repairs into my car to keep it going for another couple of years, but now I'm wondering about the wisdom of that versus buying a replacement used versus buying new. Much depends on the move back to TX, though, so no car decisions until I figure that one out.

BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm driving a new to me car; a 2003 Camry with 15K miles. It's a very smooth ride compared to my 1998 Honda Odyssey. Lower, but smoother.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:04 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Very nice car Arif, I miss my 73 Scarab Zed
Yeah too bad it is collecting dust in storage. Maybe my son will drive before I do (he's 3 years old).

You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.
Arif is offline   Reply With Quote