Join Early Retirement Today

Re: New Car Lust is Back
Old 05-30-2006, 05:10 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
Hey, I want a convertible someday, no practical rationale for that. But the thought of crusin' Pacific Coast Highway with the top down and two pretty women along for the ride sounds like a great answer to "what are you saving for?".
I did that 10 years ago. Drove my Miata from Sacramento to SF and then all the way down to SLO. I did not regret having bought the car or having done the trip. I still have fond memories of the Monterey Aquarium, Big Sur, Hearst Castle, and Pismo Beach. The best part was that my friends rented a Mustang convertible and drove with me. Just imagine the difficulty of trying to put together a trip like that now that I'm living on the East Coast.

Oh, yeah, back then, the car was quite the babe getter. Come to think of it, so was I ten years ago.

Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI@35
A little over a year ago I decided to buy a fun car. I was planning on the Mazda RX-8 or BMW Z4 but once I drove the Nissan 350Z I was sold.

Make sure you test drive the 350Z before going with the RX-8. I found the 350Z to be a lot faster from 0-35 than the RX-8. I've since heard that this is because the Mazda uses a rotoray engine.

The 350Z is fast, corners great, and handles very precise. It almost feels like a big go-cart due to the short wheel base. The other thing I like is that there aren't a zillion of them driving around.

Can you tell I don't regret buying the 350Z? If I was to do it all over again, I would make the same decision.

I finally decided the same thing this year. As I approached the big 3-0 I realized that for somebody who loves cars as much as I do I had never owned a true sports car. I really wanted a Boxster, but 55K for a new one seemed a little too much and buying a used Porsche is asking for trouble.

I settled on my second choice which was a Honda S2000. I got a 3 year old model with hardly any miles on it. It was hard waiting for the winter to end, but now that summer is here the car is a total joy. I only drive it on the weekends, but boy do I look forward to the weekends!

Old 05-30-2006, 06:50 PM   #23

in a t-bird now. considering next year's ride to be either the 350z, s2000 or gt stang. 350z will have to be used though because it seems they don't make it in yellow anymore and i need yellow to match the bicycle.

fi@35, do you happen to know if i can put a hidden hitch on 350z for road & mountain bike? i'm considering summer travel around the country over the next few years. i've googled 350z hitch but don't find much.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ol\'stang.jpg (37.5 KB, 82 views)

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:00 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

just ordered a bmw x3 last week....cant wait to get it
Old 05-30-2006, 08:18 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Hey now!* *Have I ever dis'ed your dreadlocks* * *

KWYM about the first year, etc.*It's not logical.* *I just* waaaannnnnaaa new caaaaaar!!!!*

As far as size, it is one of the "smaller" SUV's if you don't find that an oxymoron.* *I think that type of vehicle is the best combo for me - being able to haul "stuff" but still being presentable enough for driving clients around.

I think I need to replace the vehicle I have before I retire, just to be comforable enough with not having an unexpected cash outlay in the first year when/if repairing the RAV becomes a loosing proposition.* *
Sheryl, DW just bought a loaded AWD RAV4 Limited, V-6, leather and all. Wow...what a neat machine. Dual auto A/C, multiple JBL speaker sound system, traction control, stability control, hill control, moonroof, etc, etc. Those 269 ponies launch just over 3600 lbs like it was nothing. It's noticeably bigger than the old RAV4 and not at all the same animal. It cruises the highway effortlessly. DW better not let me loose with it on the open highway when she is not looking.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:34 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

In what has to be one of the stranger trades of the year, I gave up a Lexus IS300 for a 2006 Prius. Each was bought to play to its strengths, and my situation changed from a curvy, mountainous weekend driving environment in Arizona, to a 25-30 minute city/interstate commute here in Florida (other than that, it has been a great move ).

My philosophy is the right car for the right drive. I've enjoyed the Prius enormously - gadgets galore (a weakness of mine), competent vehicle in its own right, and 55-60 MPG on my commute.

Oh yeah -- I've got a two-wheel BMW in the garage for the weekends.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:08 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Rich,* the two of us wife got a Prius last Thursday.* It does have bells and whistles galore.* *I got her hand me down CRV, for important things (golf clubs).* She thinks I should sell my chevy pickup but I told her you don't go messin with a guy's truck.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:17 PM   #28

If you've never driven a turbocharged car/suv before then make sure you test drive the CX-7 before buying it. I bought a Forester XT and I may now be too spoiled to ever buy a non-turbo vehicle again but it's not for everyone. Also if you like the turbo then you may want to consider the new Acura RDX. Nearly an identical engine as the CX-7 but the luxury and dependability of an Acura. If you want to stay under 30K then the new Toyota RAV4 V6 may be the best value. I would test drive all 3 or 4 if you include the Forester XT before chosing one. Their all similar but have distinct differences which set them apart from each other. Only you know which is best for you.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:32 PM   #29
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
fi@35, do you happen to know if i can put a hidden hitch on 350z for road & mountain bike? i'm considering summer travel around the country over the next few years. i've googled 350z hitch but don't find much.
I checked Nissan's website and they don't list a hitch in their parts section either. In the user manual, there's a section on towing but it's just a general section for all Nissan's. A trip around the country in a 350Z sounds like a lot of fun.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:33 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

New car lust may be back, but our '94 Ford Taurus wagon was lusting after a new A/C evaporator core, a new transmission pan gasket, and other odds & ends for the 100K mile checkup... *

$2100 good as new, and I'm encouraged that the evaporator core won't rust out any more because at those prices it must be made of solid gold.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:21 AM   #31

Rich, I'm jealous

not about the Prius of course, but that two wheeled Beemer of yours

Old 05-31-2006, 11:28 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
Rich, I'm jealous

not about the Prius of course, but that two wheeled Beemer of yours
Gotta admit, the LT makes the Prius' hum-drum performance easier to overlook.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:54 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Uhaul says they can put a class 1 hitch on a 350z. That means you're limited to about a 1500lb total weight trailer that puts about 150lbs of maximum tongue load.

Dont know how "hidden" it'd be, but if you paint anything exposed the same color as the bumper, it'll be fairly invisible.

$120, not sure if that includes installation but I doubt it.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:10 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

We had U-haul put a class one hitch on our Jetta. Works great. We have a bicycle rack that will go on that hitch and with an adapter, on a class three hitch. We also pull a very small trailer with the Jetta on occasion, most recently to haul some junk to my sister's house.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:14 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Nope, doesnt include installation. Figure a couple of hundred bucks.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:28 PM   #36

thanx for responses on hitch as i'd prefer a z over a stang. i'll contact u-haul & make sure before purchase. by "hidden" i was thinking maybe one could be attached facing down, hidden by the bumper, instead of facing back, then have some sort of adapter made for the bike rack. both bikes weigh in under 30 lbs each. i suspect the hitch & rack will outweigh'm.

of course i could solve my dilemma simply by buying an aforementioned suv though i'm going to deny in the very same sentence that i ever said that. also i'd have to rip the roof off.

as i mentioned on a prior post, when i asked a salesguy why there was no place to attach a bike rack he said, "that defeats the purpose of a sports car." i said "i don't want to haul a travel home; it's a bicycle."

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 05-31-2006, 12:33 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I had a bike hauler for my miata that worked extremely well. It was a rack with rubber bumpers that stood on the trunk and used a couple of sets of straps with rubber "u"s on the ends. You opened the trunk, hooked the rubber 'u's on the trunk lid, closed the trunk, snugged the straps and then you had a frame to lay and strap a bike to. Never made a mark on the car. On and off in 5 minutes.

This is similar to what I had, but not the same make. I bought mine at REI. They had several sizes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=3375251
Old 05-31-2006, 12:54 PM   #38

thanx c.f. bunny. i had something similar for the stang only with sway lines reaching out to the sides of the trunk. with my driving ya wouldn't want anything less. also i wouldn't take a chance on that with these bikes (they cost about as much as most people's cars, the mtn bike even has tubeless tires and hydraulic disc brakes same as a harley. it is very fun to ride.)

problem is with these sporty type cars there is often no place even to attach the straps. the t-bird's long flat rear deck renders a bike rack useless and so i have to trunk the bikes and only one at a time at that. not bad for short distance but terrible for cross-country as there's also no space inside car for luggage.

i could fit my old rack on a new stang, but the z trunk is fitted with very tight tolerance especially on the hinge, also has flat deck to rear & no place to hook up sway control lines.

also if i'm traveling cross-country i want to be able to lock the hitch to the car and the bike to the hitch and i can't do that with a regular rack.

er has made my life soooo complicated. ah, but it's worth it.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaRed
Sheryl, DW just bought a loaded AWD RAV4 Limited, V-6, leather and all. Wow...what a neat machine. Dual auto A/C, multiple JBL speaker sound system, traction control, stability control, hill control, moonroof, etc, etc. Those 269 ponies launch just over 3600 lbs like it was nothing.* It's noticeably bigger than the old RAV4 and not at all the same animal.* It cruises the highway effortlessly. DW better not let me loose with it on the open highway when she is not looking.

Cool!* *That was my first choice before I saw the Mazda... I will be doing some comparisons* of the two.* *The V-6 is definitely something I would like to have - after my last trip over the mountains.* * *It just seems bizarre to replace one RAV with another...it's not like I own stock in Toyota..... Oh, wait a minute,* I do.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:07 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879
If you've never driven a turbocharged car/suv before then make sure you test drive the CX-7 before buying it. I bought a Forester XT and I may now be too spoiled to ever buy a non-turbo vehicle again but it's not for everyone. Also if you like the turbo then you may want to consider the new Acura RDX. Nearly an identical engine as the CX-7 but the luxury and dependability of an Acura. If you want to stay under 30K then the new Toyota RAV4 V6 may be the best value. I would test drive all 3 or 4 if you include the Forester XT before chosing one. Their all similar but have distinct differences which set them apart from each other. Only you know which is best for you.
Thanks for the input.* *I am trying to stay under $30k - but it won't hurt to check out the Accura.* *As long as I don't take the slippery slope to the Tribeca...Tourreg...Lexus........*