Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2017, 06:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
+1

I got this one in November, got the $300 travel credit for my holiday travels, and have enough points at 1.5x for 3 trips I am taking this year, easily. I don't play the card game, but this one was too good to pass. I'll easily clear $1500 in travel with it in a year, and then close it out. And, when I wanted specific flights for a trip but didn't see it on their website, I called and their customer service was top-notch.
FYI, you get another $300 travel credit for 2017 if your previous $300 was reimbursed in 2016. It's $300 per CALENDAR year. Their definition of calendar is tricky since the new year starts "first billing cycle that starts in December" or something like that.

I'm working on meeting the $4000 spend requirement (x2 for his and hers cards ) on the Chase Sapphire Reserve right now. I'm booking a ton of inexpensive bus and train tickets in Europe and love seeing the $20, $30, $50, $60 tickets being reimbursed immediately after they post.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Chase URs are awesome for both Southwest and Hyatt travel. And they have decent redemptions at times for car rentals booked through Chase as well, meaning almost free travel to a lot of places.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:49 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Just got my Costco Visa (formely Amex) cash back check.

I will deposit it in a special account whose funds I use to upgrade some travel experiences. Previously, I deposited cash-back from both Discover card (5% on Amazon for quite a while, now 5% on gasoline) and, of course, my fallback card, the Fidelity Visa 2% cash-back card.

It almost seems like 'free' money, but somehow I think we are paying for it, so we might as well use it.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
JIt almost seems like 'free' money, but somehow I think we are paying for it, so we might as well use it.
I'd say anyone who pays for gas with a non-rewards credit card these days is definitely "paying for it", since more and more gas stations seem to be tacking on an extra 3 - 5 cents per gallon for credit purchases. And yes, generally speaking, everyone does pay for these rewards in the form of very slightly higher prices on goods and services, but I'd guess those of us who strive to maximize CC rewards and signup bonuses are coming out far, far ahead of the typical consumer over the long run.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
FYI, you get another $300 travel credit for 2017 if your previous $300 was reimbursed in 2016. It's $300 per CALENDAR year. Their definition of calendar is tricky since the new year starts "first billing cycle that starts in December" or something like that.
Hi Fuego - yes, I know. It might actually be worth it for that and the Passport Lounge access, plus you still get 3X on dining, which is better than the other cards I have right now. Maybe I'll keep it....

I like that it is so heavy. It's fun to hand it to friends.....
Old 03-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

How does this work? Have flown so little that I'm unfamiliar with the various privileges and how they are attained. I thought you had to fly a million miles or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
It might actually be worth it for... the Passport Lounge access, :
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
How does this work? Have flown so little that I'm unfamiliar with the various privileges and how they are attained. I thought you had to fly a million miles or something.
One of the benefits of the Chase Sapphire Reserve is that you can request a membership in something called "Priority Pass Select". They'll send you a membership card, and you can get access to any lounges at http://www.prioritypass.com/select. The access is unlimited, although I think in some or all cases you need to provide a boarding pass for a just-landed or soon-to-depart flight.

This is a benefit of the card and not tied to your status with any particular airline, although as you point out, you can get lounge access that way. Some other cards have similar benefits - I think I've gotten access to United lounges with one of the Chase United Mileage Plus cards. There are probably other ways to do it as well.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

2C51 - how nice to hear from you!

Thanks for your tip - I just signed us up for Priority Passes.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
2C51 - how nice to hear from you!

Thanks for your tip - I just signed us up for Priority Passes.

Amethyst
BTW, I've read you need to have the physical cards with you when trying to gain lounge access. We got our cards & will try and remember to carry them when next we fly. No idea what lounges are like, but for free....
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
BTW, I've read you need to have the physical cards with you when trying to gain lounge access. We got our cards & will try and remember to carry them when next we fly. No idea what lounges are like, but for free....
Yup, you'll need the PP card as well as your boarding passes.

The lounges vary in quality because Priority Pass affiliates themselves with different lounge networks around the world. The one at SEA and DEL are nice; the one in DXB (where I am writing this from) is less so.

But most are better than hanging out at a gate.

(Hi Amethyst!! )
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:01 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

If you have at least $100k invested with Bank of America than their free TravelRewards card gives you 2.65% back on all purchases. That is the best all around rewards card I have found.
2good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #32

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but is there a certain point where cash rewards are taxed ?
Old 03-02-2017, 04:07 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownyourfuture View Post
Sorry if this has already been addressed, but is there a certain point where cash rewards are taxed ?
No - it's no considered income, but rather a discount on prices paid.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelfreek View Post
I like the idea of the Fidelity 2% cash back no fee credit card as a long term solution.
As I read things on Fidelity's site, the 2% doesn't ever start getting paid till there's over an initial $2500/5K points on the account. I read this to mean that first $2500 credit - $50 cash - is never receivable. Do I read that wrong?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:29 PM   #35
gone traveling

I find the AMEX Blue P worth the $75 annual fee - refunded for first two years - for the 6% groceries & alcohol at the grocery plus 3% on chain restaurants & non-grocery/chain gas pretty worthwhile.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #36
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I'd say anyone who pays for gas with a non-rewards credit card these days is definitely "paying for it", since more and more gas stations seem to be tacking on an extra 3 - 5 cents per gallon for credit purchases.
I'm not seeing the tack on listed by the stations I frequent.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
As I read things on Fidelity's site, the 2% doesn't ever start getting paid till there's over an initial $2500/5K points on the account. I read this to mean that first $2500 credit - $50 cash - is never receivable. Do I read that wrong?
You need 5000 in rewards before it is "paid".
For me, the bonus was 15000 points = $150 which along with the 2% from the first month's use I transferred to my Fidelity account.
broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:34 PM   #38

Quote:
I'm not seeing the tack on listed by the stations I frequent.
Here in NJ, the gas stations without the convenient stores attached have both a "cash" and "credit" prices. The difference is 10 cents.

The ones near me - Sunoco, Speedway, Wawa, Quickchek, BP don't have the differential.
Valero does.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:44 PM   #39
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
Here in NJ, the gas stations without the convenient stores attached have both a "cash" and "credit" prices. The difference is 10 cents.

The ones near me - Sunoco, Speedway, Wawa, Quickchek, BP don't have the differential.
Valero does.
OK. Y'all still aren't smart enough to pump your own gas there either, right?
Old 03-02-2017, 05:48 PM   #40

Quote:
OK. Y'all still aren't smart enough to pump your own gas there either, right?

When I go into Pennsylvania or Delaware, I have to remember to get out of the car and pump my own gas.
Good thing I lived elsewhere before moving here.