Join Early Retirement Today

New Credit Card Offer
Old 02-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Credit Card Offer

I know we get them all the time. But I saw this when I logged into my Chase account to look at my credit card balance.

Chase Freedom Ultimate $0 annual fee
Earns 1.5% on all purchases - unlimited
$150 bonus after spending $500 in the first 3 months.

So I clicked Apply. Should see a new card in 7-10 days.

- Rita
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

are you planning on spending the required $500 in 3 months and then cutting it up? There are cards giving 2% or more on all purchases.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #3

I was on the Bogleheads site and read a thread on credit cards. As a result, I applied for the Citi Double Cash, that earns 1% when purchasing and 1% when paying for a total of 2%. Waiting on it to come. We have been using our Discover Card for many years and it pays .25% on the first $3000.00, I believe and 1% over the $3000.00. We use the PenFed for the 5% on gasoline. I should have applied for the Citi Double Cash years ago.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
.........................We have been using our Discover Card for many years and it pays .25% on the first $3000.00, I believe and 1% over the $3000.00. ....................................
Discover Credit Card Promotions - February 2017

Might check out whether you can get the 2x special by converting current Discover card to the Discover IT card. Flat 1% except for the 5% specials. You get double rewards for the first year.........which means if you use their 5% category, you get 10% effectively.
If you buy thru their Discover Deals or whatever they call it these days, you can get an extra reward that will also be doubled. They sometimes had a referral deal where both parties got $50 if you referred someone and they signed up for Discover........that also got doubled.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:01 PM   #5

After having a single Credit Union Rewards VISA for many years, I'm in the process of obtaining a few additional credit cards prior to retirement while I have the income. Although I have a credit rating of 810 per Credit Karma, their website showed that I had only a fair chance of being approved for a Citi Double Cash card but a good or very good chance for most other cards. Since I also wanted a Costco VISA, I went ahead and got approved for it and will wait a few months before applying for the Citi Double Cash.

I looked at the Chase Freedom too and would consider it. If my math is correct, you would have to charge $20K on the Double Cash to break even with the $150 Chase sign up bonus and I don't usually charge that much on one card in a year's time.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
I know we get them all the time. But I saw this when I logged into my Chase account to look at my credit card balance.

Chase Freedom Ultimate $0 annual fee
Earns 1.5% on all purchases - unlimited
$150 bonus after spending $500 in the first 3 months.

So I clicked Apply. Should see a new card in 7-10 days.

- Rita
My brother in law just signed up for the same thing. I'm also considering it.
As someone else stated, use it for 3 months, earn your $150 bonus, & cut it up.

I have a Fidelity Visa that pays 2.00% on everything. Love it
Fidelity Cash Back 2% with no annual fee sounds good
Old 02-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Fidelity Cash Back 2% with no annual fee sounds good

I like the idea of the Fidelity 2% cash back no fee credit card as a long term solution.

This especially works for us since we have the bulk of our deferred comp (retirement) in Fidelity. We also play the game of getting certain travel credit cards to get the big bonuses but then cancel before the 1 year annual fee is due. This is a bit time consuming and results in more time paying several different credit cards each month (the balance in full of course).
Travelfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:18 PM   #8

My Chase Freedom (old school) has rotating 5% cash back categories so I didn't cut it up. It does have a limit of $1,500 cash back per quarter though.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #9

One thing about comparing cash back rewards cards:
The Chase Freedom is actually 1.5 UR points per dollar spent. The cash redemption value of UR points is 1 cent per point, but that is not the best use of UR points. They are worth 2-3 each if redeemed for travel or transferred into an airline frequent flyer program. To transfer the UR points into a mileage program requires also having a Premium Chase card like Sapphire Preferred.

If you are interested in cash back, there are better cards than a Chase Freedom. If you are interested in playing around with the whole UR system, the Chase cards are extremely hard to beat.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing View Post
If you are interested in cash back, there are better cards than a Chase Freedom.
Hi. I have had Chase Freedom for years. What are some better cards with no annual fee? Thanks.
nico08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:19 PM   #11

I make around $100 to $150 per month using my Fidelity Visa 2% back on everything. I pay it in full every month of course.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Fidelity 2% no annual fee Visa Ownyourfuture mentioned is about the simplest best card in my wallet. No need to remember if another card is doing a rotating 5% back on restaurants or whatever - just a dead simple 2% getting transfered into your Fidelity account $25 at a time.

Now if you want to play games and spend some time and like free money then there are all sorts of other options. Like the Chase Sapphire Reserve - but that takes a certain amount of creative spending. We have large insurance bills that I pay in full rather than monthly, I prepay utility bills six months ahead, our car insurance gets paid in lump sums - that sort of thing. Still, $500 to $1000/card bonus is fun for me - and it is tax free, which makes it more valuable yet.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I use my Discover Card to pay for pretty much everything. I've seen that there are some other cards that might beat the percent back on it. However, one thing I like (and use a lot) is that when I order gift cards when redeeming the points I get them for 10% off, ie. $45 for a $50 Carrabba's card, or $90 for a $100 Lowes card. Is that how it works with other cards? Or is it 1 for 1?
Old 02-26-2017, 06:15 PM   #14

As others have said, it's easy to find cards with a 2% rebate for the majority of your purchases. I also have the Amazon Visa card, which gives me 5% on Amazon purchases. I only use that card for Amazon though.

I can't see any point signing up for a card that pays less than 2%, unless the sign up bonus was very large. And even then I'd cut it up after receiving the bonus.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:12 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

The Chase Sapphire Reserved *did* have a 100,000 point bonus a while back, when I got it. It's lower now, or at least I'm not seeing such a high amount. But let's say it's only 50,000 points. If you use them for travel on Chase's site, they're worth 75,000 points or $750.

The card itself costs $450/year, but the bonus puts you in the black by $300 by itself. But they also cover your first $300 in travel expenses. So you're now ahead by $600. Of course, that's only for year 1. But it's very nice.

You wonder about using the Chase website for booking travel? I've not noticed any difference, and it's easy to use. Also, they cover your TSA expense once every five years, I think. And a couple of other things.

If you travel even modestly in your first year, this is a very sweet card to have.
sakowitzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakowitzm View Post
The Chase Sapphire Reserved *did* have a 100,000 point bonus a while back, when I got it. It's lower now, or at least I'm not seeing such a high amount. But let's say it's only 50,000 points. If you use them for travel on Chase's site, they're worth 75,000 points or $750.

The card itself costs $450/year, but the bonus puts you in the black by $300 by itself. But they also cover your first $300 in travel expenses. So you're now ahead by $600. Of course, that's only for year 1. But it's very nice.

You wonder about using the Chase website for booking travel? I've not noticed any difference, and it's easy to use. Also, they cover your TSA expense once every five years, I think. And a couple of other things.

If you travel even modestly in your first year, this is a very sweet card to have.
+1

I got this one in November, got the $300 travel credit for my holiday travels, and have enough points at 1.5x for 3 trips I am taking this year, easily. I don't play the card game, but this one was too good to pass. I'll easily clear $1500 in travel with it in a year, and then close it out. And, when I wanted specific flights for a trip but didn't see it on their website, I called and their customer service was top-notch.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
are you planning on spending the required $500 in 3 months and then cutting it up? There are cards giving 2% or more on all purchases.
Yes there are other cards that give higher amounts on purchases. My plan was to "upgrade" from the Chase Freedom card which while it has rotating 5% categories also has a limit on the amount of the reward.

I currently use the Chase Freedom as my main card, along with two credit others, and the offer of $150 when you spend $500 along with a no-limit 1.5% of purchases back was kind of a no brainer.

I am most interested in no-fee, cash back.
-Rita
Old 02-28-2017, 04:43 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

No annual fee, cash back - Fidelity 2% cash rewards VISA, if you have a Fidelity account.

We also have the BofA Travel Rewards VISA - no annual fee, 1.65% cash back because we have a BofA checking account, and no foreign transaction fee.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:23 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Citi 2X Master Card - 2% back on everything, no annual fee. Also, so far their customer service has been excellent. I've needed to file 2 disputes (both resolved in my favor) and they promptly credited my account for the disputed amount while the dispute was ongoing. They also managed to get in touch with one merchant who was blowing off my phone calls and emails, and apparently convinced her to call me.

Edit: I seem to recall there was a signup incentive, too. But 2% cash back would be worth it, to me, without an incentive.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:28 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Dang! I needed to fly Southwest, and didn't see it on the Chase booking web page. I just figured Southwest had no agreement with them, and didn't even think to call Chase to see if they could fix it so I could use my points. Sad trombone (at least I got the 3% back on the tickets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaudrey View Post
+1

I got this one in November, got the $300 travel credit for my holiday travels, and have enough points at 1.5x for 3 trips I am taking this year, easily. I don't play the card game, but this one was too good to pass. I'll easily clear $1500 in travel with it in a year, and then close it out. And, when I wanted specific flights for a trip but didn't see it on their website, I called and their customer service was top-notch.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote