Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
If they automatically switch over cards for everybody, I would think that would not generate a 'hard' hit on the credit report. Right?
I'm hoping that's the case
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I applied for the Chase Sapphire card they did it over the phone with a free credit check and my OK to unfreeze our account. I don't know how they managed this but I was impressed. Another card company forced me to unfreeze on my own.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
When I applied for the Chase Sapphire card they did it over the phone with a free credit check and my OK to unfreeze our account. I don't know how they managed this but I was impressed. Another card company forced me to unfreeze on my own.
Did you already have some kind of account with Chase?
Old 01-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Did you already have some kind of account with Chase?
Oops, that was probably it. However, my credit union still forced me to unfreeze.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:41 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Additional info from New York Times. Sounds like the new Visa will be 2%.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/04/yo...ding.html?_r=0
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
IIRC, they checked my account with Experian and I was able to go online to the freeze/thaw site and get a one time use code number that I gave to the CC company. This avoided having to do a thaw and refreeze.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If they automatically switch over cards for everybody, I would think that would not generate a 'hard' hit on the credit report. Right?

I'm more concerned about it showing as a brand-new card instead of one that's been open since July, 2014. Cards with a long history are better for your score, which is why I've been hanging onto the Marriott Visa.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
IIRC, they checked my account with Experience and I was able to go online to the freeze/thaw site and get a one time use code number that I gave to the CC company. This avoided having to do a thaw and refreeze.
Don't you hate the auto spell corrector. They shouldn't correct capitalized words in the middle of sentences.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:05 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
Too funny - I had a chat session w/ a Fidelity rep about a month ago complaining about FIA Card Services.

As a current Fidelity Amex holder, I applaud the change. FIA is horrible.
FIA, would be an excellent acronym for their service(forum rules suggest I should not spell it out).

I love my 2% but their fraud detection is the pits. I just received my 4th replacement card for 2015!

The card number that Home Depot handed out, FIA refuses to un-associate that number with my current CC account. So every few months that old number gets used and FIA and I go round and round. So even if I lose that cards starting date to me it's a trade up, to get rid of the imbeciles.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
...Unclear to me if the current Fidelity Visa will be improved by the change to 2% cash back from the first dollar spent from it's current 2% after $15,000 spending, 1.5% up to $15k...
I have both the 2% AMEX and the 1.5% VISA. I doubt they'll change the old 1.5% VISA, which is administered by FIA. I think they'll just replace the FIA AMEX with the new 2% VISA administered by US Bank, with same T&Cs. I'll close down the old VISA since it's only purpose was for use at merchants who don't accept AMEX.

Quote:
$50 - that has always been the min redemption for Fidelity AMEX. I have automatic redemptions, and some months skip because the threshold wasn't met.
I'm embarrassed to say we hit the threshold every month.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I have been frustrated with the FIA alerts. I can't set up a "card not present" alert, for "amount over $X" for example, something that would quickly flag a pending charge that I didn't make.

I had a couple of >$800 charges from Victoria Secret recently, and I just happened to check the credit card online for an unrelated issue and saw them still pending. FIA Card Services took care of it, cancelled card, sent new ones, etc., but if it had been BofA I would have received an immediate email about the charge and taken action.

Bank of America has a really extensive set of credit card alerts, and I use them heavily.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:29 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Don't you hate the auto spell corrector. They shouldn't correct capitalized words in the middle of sentences.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Experience is now Experian.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:30 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm more concerned about it showing as a brand-new card instead of one that's been open since July, 2014. Cards with a long history are better for your score, which is why I've been hanging onto the Marriott Visa.
Good point.

My Costco Amex is my second longest running CC. So, I hope they let me keep it as such when Costco switches to Visa. But, I have heard that we must all reapply. I hope not.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have been frustrated with the FIA alerts. I can't set up a "card not present" alert, for "amount over $X" for example, something that would quickly flag a pending charge that I didn't make.
Agree. I wanted to setup a "your payment is due soon' alert after I missed one by a day due to a family event that occupied my time and my attention.

No go. Could not do it.

It did put it on my computer's calendar, but still it seems that in this day and age an email advising a imminent payment date cannot be that hard to implement.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #35

I've also had questionable experience with FIA. The website functionality is primitive by today's standards. But they've also been very proactive about alerting me to fraud. I think I'm on my 4th card now. Two of those resulted from the Target and Home Depot breaches. The other two were from their system correctly flagging suspicious activity. In any case, I'm looking forward to moving on with the new Fidelity VISA, although I have no experience with US Bank.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:32 PM   #36

Once I learned FIA was owned by Bank America, any interest in their products disappeared. I experienced such incredible incompetence with BOA, I have compulsively avoided anything associated with them. Given the comments here and BOA performance during the 2008 financial debacles, I find my concerns to be validated on a regular basis.
Nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:31 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I had a couple of >$800 charges from Victoria Secret recently, and I just happened to check the credit card online for an unrelated issue and saw them still pending. FIA Card Services took care of it, cancelled card, sent new ones, etc., but if it had been BofA I would have received an immediate email about the charge and taken action.

Bank of America has a really extensive set of credit card alerts, and I use them heavily.
we just purchased tickets to disney on line and fia called us immediately to confirm the transaction .

i get payment due alerts through fidelity full view on my cards .
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 03:18 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsteve View Post
Once I learned FIA was owned by Bank America, any interest in their products disappeared. I experienced such incredible incompetence with BOA, I have compulsively avoided anything associated with them. Given the comments here and BOA performance during the 2008 financial debacles, I find my concerns to be validated on a regular basis.
Nwsteve
Except my experience with BofA credit cards has been exemplary - on fraud handling as well as alerts and online experience. I only have their no-fee, good rewards, one of which is no foreign transaction fee cards of course.

Yet FIA card services has been way frustrating and limited compared to the BofA cards.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:24 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we just purchased tickets to disney on line and fia called us immediately to confirm the transaction .

i get payment due alerts through fidelity full view on my cards .
They couldn't explain why I didn't get a call after my card was denied. They tried the excuse of being "after hours" but it was 6pm. I had received calls in the past after a card denial, and it was usually because I didn't have a travel notice on file. This time I had a travel notice, yet still denial, no call about that, and no catching two back-to-back fraudulent charges from two days prior. Something has changed.

I get payment due alerts - that's the least of the alerts I require. Monitoring CC activity is a lot easier when you can get alerts on card not present transactions and card charge above $X.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:28 AM   #40

Quote:
Do we know what alerts are available with this new credit card?

Currently, we have an Amazon.com VISA (3% back at Amazon.com; 2% at gas stations, restaurants and drugstores; 1% on other purchases), an AMEX Blue Cash Everyday (3% back at supermarkets; 2% at gas stations; 1% on other purchases), and a Discover Card (5% cashback for one category per quarter; 5% at drugstore.com through Discover Deals; 1% on other purchases).

I'm thinking of changing things up a bit, adding this new Fidelity VISA (2% back on everything?) and an Amazon.com Store Card (5% back at Amazon.com), and effectively replacing (or closing?) the Amazon.com VISA account. I'd still use the AMEX at supermarkets (it is actually convenient for budgeting to have all the transactions for our most common purchase stacked up in one account with no other purchases), and take advantage of whatever the Discover Card 5% cashback category is and to address my spouse's drugstore.com addiction, but use the new card for everything else.

I don't see a downside. Am I missing something?
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote