Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-05-2016, 06:13 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I'm thinking of changing things up a bit, adding this new Fidelity VISA (2% back on everything?) and an Amazon.com Store Card (5% back at Amazon.com), and effectively replacing (or closing?) the Amazon.com VISA account. I'd still use the AMEX at supermarkets (it is actually convenient for budgeting to have all the transactions for our most common purchase stacked up in one account with no other purchases), and take advantage of whatever the Discover Card 5% cashback category is and to address my spouse's drugstore.com addiction, but use the new card for everything else.

I don't see a downside. Am I missing something?
Keep the Amazon.com store card set up on-line, then put it away in a drawer. Do not close the Amazon Visa card, as it could impact your credit by closing it. just put it in a drawer.

I am also going to consolidate my cards. After I charge my rental car (5%) this month, I am leaving my USB Cash Plus card at home. I have it set up for auto-pay for Cell Phone purchases (5%). Other than that, the categories are ones I seldom use.

Then, gas is all at 5% discount with my Sam's club card. I carry the Sam's card anyway. It also has 3% discount at Restaurants. I always also use gas coupons (on Tuesday for double cents off) and restaurants and

The Fidelity card will be used for everything else. I have a Chase card that is good for 3% off at Home Improvement stores, but it has limits, etc. I hate to get big charges and them be denied rebates due to some arbitrary quarterly limit. I also do not want to carry too many cards. Two is enough in my wallet.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 08:10 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I'm thinking of changing things up a bit, adding this new Fidelity VISA (2% back on everything?) and an Amazon.com Store Card (5% back at Amazon.com), and effectively replacing (or closing?) the Amazon.com VISA account....
Drat, now you've gone and tempted me. I have the Amazon.com VISA and it's autopayed through our Chase account. But that 5% card is hard to ignore.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:17 AM   #43

If a Chase customer is tempted, a Fidelity customer would be crazy not to consider the switch.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

For our protection we have security freezes in place with the credit agencies. I'm finding that applying for this card with a security freeze in place (with the 3 rating agencies) is not so easy. Apparently Elan Financial is the Fidelity source for the cards. When you apply, they could use any one of the 3 agencies.

An Elan rep (at 1.800.523.5354) suggested this:
1) lift the freeze on one service (TransUnion, or Experian, or Equifax)
2) fill out the application and submit. 33% chance of success.
3) if your credit check does not go through then maybe call Elan Underwriting at 1.800.364.9648
4) Hope that you do not have to lift with the other 2 credit agencies

Then to get the 2% money back you need a Fidelity account like the Cash Management account.

Seems like a hassle.

Has anyone successfully navigated this yet with security freezes on their accounts?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
For our protection we have security freezes in place with the credit agencies. I'm finding that applying for this card with a security freeze in place (with the 3 rating agencies) is not so easy. Apparently Elan Financial is the Fidelity source for the cards. When you apply, they could use any one of the 3 agencies.

An Elan rep (at 1.800.523.5354) suggested this:
1) lift the freeze on one service (TransUnion, or Experian, or Equifax)
2) fill out the application and submit. 33% chance of success.
3) if your credit check does not go through then maybe call Elan Underwriting at 1.800.364.9648
4) Hope that you do not have to lift with the other 2 credit agencies

Then to get the 2% money back you need a Fidelity account like the Cash Management account.

Seems like a hassle.

Has anyone successfully navigated this yet with security freezes on their accounts?
I haven't tried it, but I'm rapidly losing interest in the credit card. I just spent the last 6 months getting a cash flow plan in place using Fidelity cash management and their cc. Now I think I'll simplify and just w/d a lump sum and deposit it in an online bank transferring monthly to my local bank, just like my paycheck today. Besides that I really don't want the hassle of charging everything on a card to get a rebate. I really believe that most people will spend considerably less when they have to shell out actual dollars for each purchase. So maybe Fido is doing me a favor.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #46

I think the my fido card (and other major cards) show up on all 3 credit bureaus, so my guess is all would need unfrozen. Technically you should not need a complete unfreeze. I believe you can temporarily unfreeze for a specified company and a specific time frame.

I would expect that they will need to add a new account which would need the unfreeze unless fidelity is the one actually doing the credit reporting. I think they will have to close the old account an open up a new one, not just change the card numbers.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
I think the my fido card (and other major cards) show up on all 3 credit bureaus, so my guess is all would need unfrozen. Technically you should not need a complete unfreeze. I believe you can temporarily unfreeze for a specified company and a specific time frame.

I would expect that they will need to add a new account which would need the unfreeze unless fidelity is the one actually doing the credit reporting. I think they will have to close the old account an open up a new one, not just change the card numbers.
It's up to Fido to determine if they want my business or not. Simple
Old 01-06-2016, 03:15 AM   #48

Expecting applicants to unfreeze their credit when applying for a credit card seems very reasonable, given that freezing of credit is, among other things, intended to block unauthorized folks from obtaining credit in someone else's name.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:49 AM   #49

To avoid playing "Credit Bureau Roulette" and trying to guess which bureaus(s) a card issuer uses, I just applied without thawing and was subsequently rejected.

After receiving the rejection, I called the number on the rejection notice and inquired about the problem. They told me the bureau that they use. I then thawed and then called them back. They were then able to approve me on the spot during the phone call.

My example was using the Barclays Arrivial+ card. YMMV.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #50

I talked with fidelity and the new card administrator. They say they should be able to do the change using the old card info and the history will remain. So it doesn't look like new credit, but existing credit.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:17 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Can you have two accounts (one account with two cards, one card for me, one card for DW), and then a separate account (with just one card) in the same household?

This would allow us to continue to get 2% rewards on everything (including the places that don't accept AMEX), and would allow us to put all our recurring auto-charges on a 2% card (they are now split between this AMEX and a 1% Amazon Visa card now, for those places that don't accept AMEX).

But it would be nice to keep all the auto-recurring on their own card that we don't use anywhere else. That should cut down on the minor hassle of updating those if the main card gets a fraud alert. And we'd still have our 1% Amazon (3% for Amazon purchases) as a back up if the new Fidelity Visa got denied.

Sound like a good plan? Can they do that?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Can you have two accounts (one account with two cards, one card for me, one card for DW), and then a separate account (with just one card) in the same household?

This would allow us to continue to get 2% rewards on everything (including the places that don't accept AMEX), and would allow us to put all our recurring auto-charges on a 2% card (they are now split between this AMEX and a 1% Amazon Visa card now, for those places that don't accept AMEX).

But it would be nice to keep all the auto-recurring on their own card that we don't use anywhere else. That should cut down on the minor hassle of updating those if the main card gets a fraud alert. And we'd still have our 1% Amazon (3% for Amazon purchases) as a back up if the new Fidelity Visa got denied.

Sound like a good plan? Can they do that?

-ERD50
In the past I've had multiple cards from the same provider, so I think they can issue two cards. The question is what is their policy. I would call and ask.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:39 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

American Express will issue different card numbers for each card holder - that's standard. But none of the other cards I've had have worked that way, including the FIA services card. With those all card holders have the same number.