Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
What's the difference between an electronic I bond and a paper one? Is one purchased online and the other from a financial institution? I thought the 5K max. was for all I bond purchases.
Electronic i-bonds can be purchased from Treasury direct while paper i-bonds can be purchased from a bank (or other financial institution) or via payroll deduction.

Individual - Buy I Savings Bonds

The following link also explicitly says that you can buy $5,000 worth of electronic i-bonds and $5,000 worth of paper i-bonds per calendar year:

Individual - Purchase Limits

Through your TreasuryDirect account - which is established using your name and social security number, bank information, driver’s license and e–mail address – you can invest in electronic savings bonds (also referred to as book–entry savings bonds) each calendar year by purchasing as much as:
  • $5,000 in Series EE Bonds, and
  • $5,000 in I Series Bonds.
You may also invest the same amount in paper savings bonds -- using your name and social security number -- by purchasing as much as:
  • $5,000 in Series EE Bonds (which is equivalent to $10,000 face amount), and
  • $5,000 in I Series Bonds.

42 y/o, married, retirement portfolio = 43 x annual expenses
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2009, 12:30 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Well you could get your limit now and again in January - which would double those amounts for you and spouse. Possibly use kids or parent SSN for additional purchases. (Carefully considering the educational benefit possibility)...

RATINOR: I believe the calculation is based on percentage change over the 6 month period.
The index went from 212.709 to 215.969 so a 1.532% change.
That times 2 = 3.064% will be the inflation component to which you add the fixed rate component.
Am I correct in assuming the 'inflation' was based on the previously deflated index number? In other words we didn't have to make-up the previous 'deflation' before getting a new inflation adjustment!! Looking at these over the long term this appears to be another bonus...

JustNtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Thanks for all the feedback on the I-bonds. It's another thing I learned today. I guess I would prefer to know what I'm getting when I purchase it and that's where CD's can't be beat for the safety. I enjoy the income off the CD's but I'm not desperate for it. Over the years I did well in the stock market (doubled my money) in the nineties. Then took a hit in the 2000's and got out for good. Time to stop guessing at my age so I'm into CD's. Right now everything is in at 4.5% for another 4 years and that looks pretty good. The $175K will probably go in at 3.5% for 4 years and by that time I think rates will be up.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Frankly, I'm surprised to see I-bonds competitive with CDs again. The Last I-bond I bought was in 2003 and I will 'treasure' those I have from 2001/2... If I had a choice of buying 4yr CD at 3.5% or the 3.36% I-bond -- I'd choose the I-bond for the state/local tax advantages and the real possibility that all this gov't spending will eventually lead to some real inflation down the road. The small limits make this a rather small gamble either way. Seems very unlikely that inflation + 0.3% will be less than 3.5% over next 4-5yrs.

Actually our state tax is 5.75% so 3.5% after state tax is only ~3.29%! So inflation would have to be less than 3% annually for me to be better off with the CD. ymmv

My Mom's IRA is in a 7yr CD at 6.25% until 2014, sooo hopefully we'll see some higher rates when it matures...

JustNtime is offline   Reply With Quote