Join Early Retirement Today

New I-Bond Inflation rate?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New I-Bond Inflation rate?

The September CPI-U came in at .2 so if I understand the I-Bond inflation calculation correctly then that will be added to the April thru August rates for a total of 1.4. This is then multiplied x 2 and added to your fixed rate to determine your return for the next 6 months (announced on November 1st). Is this how others understand it?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

I believe the calculation is based on percentage change over the 6 month period.
The index went from 212.709 to 215.969 so a 1.532% change.
That times 2 = 3.064% will be the inflation component to which you add the fixed rate component.
ratinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

The fixed rate component is determined by when the I-bond was originally purchased. Is that correct?
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
The fixed rate component is determined by when the I-bond was originally purchased. Is that correct?
Yes. You'll have to pry the ones I have with a 3.4% fixed rate from my cold dead fingers (or in January 2030 when they mature, whichever comes first...).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinor View Post
I believe the calculation is based on percentage change over the 6 month period.
The index went from 212.709 to 215.969 so a 1.532% change.
That times 2 = 3.064% will be the inflation component to which you add the fixed rate component.

That's what I thought. My numbers are different, probably because I took the monthly decimal change but April had no change so March would have been the number to use. I'll be happy with anything at this point. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Series I to Earn 3.36%, Series EE to Earn 1.20% Fixed Rate, When Bought from November 2009 Through April 2010
Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'm shocked they increased the fixed rate to 0.3% given the alternative nominal yields of money market funds and short term CDs.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 11-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'm shocked they increased the fixed rate to 0.3% given the alternative nominal yields of money market funds and short term CDs.
do you mean the real interest rate? where do you find this for new i-bonds?
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I am surprised as well. I was expecting 0% fixed again.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire View Post
do you mean the real interest rate? where do you find this for new i-bonds?
Series I to Earn 3.36%, Series EE to Earn 1.20% Fixed Rate, When Bought from November 2009 Through April 2010

Quote:
The earnings rate for Series I Savings Bonds is a combination of a fixed rate, which applies for the life of the bond, and the semiannual inflation rate. The 3.36% earnings rate for I bonds bought from November 2009 through April 2010 will apply for their first six months after issue. The earnings rate combines a 0.30% fixed rate of return with the 3.06% annualized rate of inflation as measured by the Consumer Price Index for all Urban Consumers (CPI-U).
Old 11-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #11

thank you
jdw_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #12

Yeah, I'm liking it.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #13

Read this thread with interest (pardon the pun) and just don't understand those bonds. I'm sitting on $175K I don't know what to do with. Not interested in stocks anymore as I've been there-done that. At 73 you can't take chances. I'm looking for best return-best safety. I can get 3.5% on a 5-yr CD but thats a long time. How is the I-bond better that this CD?
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Read this thread with interest (pardon the pun) and just don't understand those bonds. I'm sitting on $175K I don't know what to do with. Not interested in stocks anymore as I've been there-done that. At 73 you can't take chances. I'm looking for best return-best safety. I can get 3.5% on a 5-yr CD but thats a long time. How is the I-bond better that this CD?
The CD is fixed for 5 years at 3.5% and is safe. The i-bond interest rate changes every 6 months depending on inflation but can never go to below zero - also safe but variable. It will be 5 years before you know if the 5-year CD or the i-bond returns a better return over 5 years. You must own an i-bond for 12 months and if you cash it in before 5 years are up you give up 3 months interest. The returns are not taxed until you cash it in.

You can only buy $5k per person per year in i-bonds.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
I-bonds pay an interest equal to a fixed rate (0.3% for bonds bought in the next 6 months) + a variable rate which is the annualized semiannual rate of inflation (currently 3.06%). So if inflation goes to 10%, the bonds will pay 0.3%+10%=10.3% interest rate. The interest you earn on i-bonds changes every 6 months to reflect the changing inflation rate.

My back of the envelop calculation: let's say you buy an i-bond right now with a 0.3% fixed rate. If you expect inflation to top 3.2% annually on average over the next 5 years, i-bonds will provide a higher return. If inflation remains below 3.2% or if we experience deflation, then the CD will return more. I am sure someone out there could refine that calculation further by taking things like taxes into account.

Another consideration: If you need the income to pay the bills, then CDs might be a better option because you have to redeem i-bonds in order to be able to extract the interests. So i-bonds are great for capital preservation but CDs are better for someone who needs the income on a regular basis.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Another consideration: If you need the income to pay the bills, then CDs might be a better option because you have to redeem i-bonds in order to be able to extract the interests. So i-bonds are great for capital preservation but CDs are better for someone who needs the income on a regular basis.
Plus it will take a long time to invest 175K at 5K per year.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
Plus it will take a long time to invest 175K at 5K per year.
True! If Johnnie is married, however, he could buy up to $20K worth of i-bonds per year: $5K for himself in electronic bonds, $5K for himself in paper bonds, $5K for his wife in electronic bonds, $5K for his wife in paper bonds. It would still take a few years though...
Old 11-03-2009, 06:08 AM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've been buying i-bonds since they were available and have been pleasantly surprised at the nice returns on those earlier purchases. OTOH, the current rate on a 5-yr CD at my credit union is 3.3% APY, minimum a thousand dollars.
Current Rates
Bikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:11 AM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

Another thing to consider: I bonds are exempt from state and local income taxes.
FIREngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:34 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
True! If Johnnie is married, however, he could buy up to $20K worth of i-bonds per year: $5K for himself in electronic bonds, $5K for himself in paper bonds, $5K for his wife in electronic bonds, $5K for his wife in paper bonds. It would still take a few years though...
What's the difference between an electronic I bond and a paper one? Is one purchased online and the other from a financial institution? I thought the 5K max. was for all I bond purchases.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote