Join Early Retirement Today

New Issue Muni's
Old 08-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

New Issue Muni's

Hello,
I was talking with a Judge (as in Lawer) in my area yesterday and thought I would run the jest of our conversation by you guys for your thoughts and opinions. This Judge is involved in the underwriting of Municipal bonds for Morgan Keegan. He told me that he personal buys a lot of individual muni's and always goes long term (20 yrs). His thoughts were to go for the higher yield and don't worry about the bonds being called. He also holds til maturity/never sells. I'm looking into buying individual muni's myself so found this interesting. I'm looking at cities in my State (G O bonds only) for the better tax benefit. I plan to build a fairly large ladder for my retirement income. Any advise Pro or Con would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #2

Anybody interested in or buy individual muni's ?
Trying to decide if its a good thing for income during upcoming FIRE.
Second try for commits.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-26-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Must not be any individual muni bond buyers out there. Wish I could help you but I only own a fund.(NXQ) I might buy a few individual ones as time goes on, if the rates make it worth my while. Most of my portfolio is in my taxable account so muni's make sense.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:32 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I like General Obligation (GO) bonds myself. There is a bit of failsafe in that the taxing authority of where they are issued in effect "pays" the bond interest. If your community builds a library or puts in some new roads, that is generally done with GO bonds.

I would ladder the maturity, and not go out longer than 10 years, unless it's a double exempt and a stable issue with a juicy dividend (5%)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #5

IIRC, and someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but when you buy muni bonds at issue you don't pay a markup - the issuer pays the underwriter/dealer the commission. So, it's probably cheaper to buy the muni bonds at issue and hold to maturity to avoid the fees associated with the secondary muni market.

My guess is that your lawyer friend is in a high tax bracket, so munis make sense for him over fully taxable bonds.
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:35 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply's.
I guess there are very few people that buy muni's direct, compared to mutual funds. But if you build a ladder of them and you are after tax exempt income they do begin to make sense.
Thanks Again,
Steve
Old 08-27-2008, 05:47 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I buy california munis, mostly GOs, AA or AAA rated, and 20-30 years. I have not sold any yet and don't plan to. All were bought with 5% yields or better. I am buying for income (tax-free) not accumulated interest 20-30 years from now. I'm trying to build a my portfolio so that it kicks off plenty of cash for living expense without touching the capital gains....we'll see if it works.

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Thanks for the reply's.
I guess there are very few people that buy muni's direct, compared to mutual funds. But if you build a ladder of them and you are after tax exempt income they do begin to make sense.
Thanks Again,
Steve
If it were me,I would keep the ladder shorter (5 years or so). I believe interest rates will be higher in the future, and although munis aren't as sensitive to interest rate increases as corporates, they still would be affected........

Old 08-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #9

Depending on your age, the one of the best things you can do, in my opinion, is to ladder out 0% coupon muni's. In this way you can have tax free income coming due every year. Make sure they're AAA.
As to buying and selling muni's, I do it all the time. Buy bonds at a discount, if they move up enough, I'll sell and buy others at a discount. In this way, you do have a capital gain, but you're capturing it now rather than waiting years. JMO.
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:25 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
Depending on your age, the one of the best things you can do, in my opinion, is to ladder out 0% coupon muni's. In this way you can have tax free income coming due every year. Make sure they're AAA.
As to buying and selling muni's, I do it all the time. Buy bonds at a discount, if they move up enough, I'll sell and buy others at a discount. In this way, you do have a capital gain, but you're capturing it now rather than waiting years. JMO.
Good strategy, but sometimes it's hard to find munis at a discount. I'll buy up to about 103 if it's a good issue. Much above that and you don't come out ahead, IMHO...........

Old 08-27-2008, 08:40 AM   #11

I won't buy anything over 101. Too aggravating when an extraordinary call hits. Some of my best trades ever have been deeply discounted muni bonds. I once bought some at 19 that came back to par after about a year and a half. I think they were 6%'ers. Figure out the return on those puppies!
Old 08-27-2008, 09:13 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I won't buy anything over 101. Too aggravating when an extraordinary call hits. Some of my best trades ever have been deeply discounted muni bonds. I once bought some at 19 that came back to par after about a year and a half. I think they were 6%'ers. Figure out the return on those puppies!
Which bankrupt city were they issued from??

Old 08-27-2008, 09:14 AM   #13

American Airlines backed munis.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
American Airlines backed munis.
Ok............a bankrupt airline...............

Are you in Plano??

Old 08-27-2008, 09:38 AM   #15

Plano? No. That's where the people who overpaid for their homes live.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:28 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Plano? No. That's where the people who overpaid for their homes live.
That's where "Bobby Hull" lives, and I know his real name........

Old 08-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
That's where "Bobby Hull" lives, and I know his real name........

Seriously?? Is that my buddy? Gimme his name, I wanna visit him. Since he knows me, it's only fair.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Ok............a bankrupt airline...............

Are you in Plano??

Among places with 250,000 or more residents, the affluent Dallas suburb of Plano, Texas, boasts the highest median income: $77,038.

The wealthiest (and poorest) places in the United States - Aug. 28, 2007
Old 08-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #19

Stevewc,

This is a good article on buying ind muni bonds, though I think it focuses mostly on secondary market purchases.

Cutting Through the Bond Market Fog When Shopping for Munis
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #20

Thanks to everyone that added to the discussion. I'm doing my best to read and learn about buying bonds.
The link to removing the fog was very good.

From some of the books I've read on bonds, it seems that trying to find & buy new issue muni's is the best way to keep from being ripped off by the brokers. Do any of you have first hand knowledge as to this being true.
Thanks again to all,
Steve