Join Early Retirement Today

New Milestone!
Old 10-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Milestone!

Just ran my numbers and I have now officially passed 6 figures...in losses for the first time. I know. It won't be the last. No risk. No reward.

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #2

Our losses in paper have passed 6 figures since the government announced that they would not bail out Lehman Brothers.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nasty milestones for me too! My total net worth (all assets) is now just under the level it reached at the end of 2002. This is significantly lower than it was when I retired in 1999! And we had reached a new all time high in Oct of 2007, and gotten close again in May of this year.

And I wish I were only down 6 figures!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I reached the 6-figure [paper] loss milestone for the first time on Friday too! Good times...

If I look at our net worth, we are "only" down 70K for the past 12 months thanks to healthy inflows (60K) since last October (we are now back to 01/2007 levels). Our networth had been pretty stable from October 2007 to Mid September 2008 but it has plunged by more than 60K in the past month. Without taking into account inflows, our retirement accounts have lost $120,000 in the last year. So the market drop has pushed our retirement date back 2 years, so far...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I don't want to talk about it.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Including 2008's contributions to date, we passed the 6-digit number a couple of weeks ago. Now, I'm truly afraid to look. I keep thinking that we've ridden it down this far..... This mess has added several years to our retirement horizon, but at least we're healthy and able to work.....
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Are we including equity in the house? Because if we are I'm down a quarter mil. If not, I'm "only" down about 60k.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
Are we including equity in the house? Because if we are I'm down a quarter mil. If not, I'm "only" down about 60k.
No, decline in equity of the house has not been included in our net worth estimation. The downturn in the market has significantly changed our projection of when we can retire - bummer.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

-$170,000 in the last year...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

We're at 2004 levels -- and that's after aggressive savings right along.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm concentrating on where my next meal is coming from, not on the level of my septic tank...
Old 10-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
Just ran my numbers and I have now officially passed 6 figures...in losses for the first time.
I have around 6 figures in unrealized losses; 0 figures in realized losses. Big difference. My portfolio, even a little diminished, generates enough free cash flow that I shouldn't have to realize these losses unless there is a further remarkable decline in the economy.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Nasty milestones for me too! My total net worth (all assets) is now just under the level it reached at the end of 2002. This is significantly lower than it was when I retired in 1999! And we had reached a new all time high in Oct of 2007, and gotten close again in May of this year.

And I wish I were only down 6 figures!
My condolences!

Not counting my homes (I never do), my portfolio is still more than 2x the bottom it reached in Mar2003 (knock on wood). But then, you have been drawing on yours, while I still have my part-time income.

Yes, I think we all got our high in Oct2007, and recovering within a few percent of it in May2007. What happened was that the entire world was hit by a 2x4 coming from nowhere (actually from WallSt), just within the last few months.

Look at a stock that I had - Caterpillar (CAT). It was holding up relatively well compared to other stocks, then crashed hard in just 1 month. The reason was that it had significant business overseas, not just in the US. So it was immune to the US housing bust, until recently. Obviously, all that foreign construction may just stop and is discounted in the stock price. Or has all that construction already stopped?

Not knowing what to expect, I am not going to buy it back, having been stopped out earlier.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:50 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wish my portfolio was large enough to have suffered a 6 figure loss
Old 10-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
I wish my portfolio was large enough to have suffered a 6 figure loss
You will get there someday.