New SEP timing

SumDay

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We get to set up a Simplified Employee Plan (SEP) for DH this year. He had a really good year with his consulting business :dance: aka we owe Uncle Sam bunches. :(

I'm guessing our tax guy will give us the final numbers on April 15th (this is the last year I'm using him - very long, complicated story) so here's my question.

We don't have a SEP established with Vanguard, but we do have accounts there. From what I read on the IRS site:

You can set up a SEP for a year as late as the due date (including extensions) of your business income tax return for the year you want to establish the plan.

I take this to mean that I can POSTMARK the application and check on April 15th and still be OK? Just wanted to run this by someone else before I ASSume too much.

Thanks in advance.

I liked the Solo/Individual 401k better, but I set it up too long ago to compare it with a SEP. Mostly I was able to put more in it, I believe. I think the 401k had to be set up in the calendar year of the contributions, so SEP may work better for you just for that reason.

I liked the Solo/Individual 401k better, but I set it up too long ago to compare it with a SEP. Mostly I was able to put more in it, I believe. I think the 401k had to be set up in the calendar year of the contributions, so SEP may work better for you just for that reason.

I agree with all of this. The Solo 401K will let you contribute much more than a SEP IRA, if that is important to you. But, it's too late to set up a Solo 401K for 2012, so a SEP might be the best you can do for that income. You could set up a Solo 401K right now and start contributing for 2013 if you'd like.

Back
Top Bottom