New Snowbird??

unclemick

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Come February in MO - it oughta be cold.

Haven't done a cruise in over twenty years - Key West, Cancun, Cozemel and back to New Orleans.

Thoughts??

15-16 hour drive to N.O. from here.

Thinking warm - no special requirements - just 7-9 days. Not a scuba diver, history/ruins buff, too old to chase Club Med girls, nor am I a nudist.

Or - we booked into the old British Colonial in the Bahamas(1970's) and dinked around for 10 days.

Fishing for some ideas here. Have seven Jimmy Buffett shirts gathering dust in my closet.

I've seen some el cheapo cruises out of Houston/Galveston ($500/person for 7 days). Not sure how much further a drive that would be from MO. I think it would be a great idea though. Check out the Caribbean locales. Should be warm and sunny!

UM, here's a few ideas:

- If I weren't very prone to getting seasick, I'd love to try one of the cruises these folks do: www.windjammer.com

- If you like history and ruins, you would get a real kick out of Malta.  However, it is a long trip to get there, so you'd really want to go for two weeks.

- We like Vieques, off the coast of PR.  Going back next month.  Its a really neat place and very much unlike most of the rest of the overdeveloped Carribean.  www.enchanted-isle.com  Relatively cheap, too.

- I hear Baja California is pretty nice, but I have never been since its a loooong way from the northeast.

Yikes!!!!!

Duh - I forgot - I have a rich relative - Doctor type (nephew's wife's dad) - has a condo in one of those BAJA tourist places - the nephew's and niece have used since they are West Coasters. May have to put on the smooze!!!

heh heh heh

P.S. My ex boss(of twenty years) - swore by Windjammer cruises. Thanks - another good idea to investigate.

justin said:
I've seen some el cheapo cruises out of Houston/Galveston ($500/person for 7 days). Not sure how much further a drive that would be from MO. I think it would be a great idea though. Check out the Caribbean locales. Should be warm and sunny!

We've been on two Carribiean/Western Mexico cruises out of Galveston. I highly recommend them. Easy in and out access to the port and your ship. Very relaxing, good food, meet interesting people, warm weather, & and all-around good time.

Go for it!

Dad (86) goes on 2 cruises a year, normally out of Fort Lauredale, loves the conveniance, the service, the food etc.

He can generally find something negative to say, but not when it comes to cruiese, at his stage I push him to go for the best level he is comfortable with.

Not sure if Cozumel or Cancun would be all that great yet, they both got hit really hard by the hurricane last fall and many of the businesses/sites are still closed. You can find lots of information for Cozumel at the following website, there is also a discussion forum on the site that is quite active.

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/

brewer12345 said:
UM, here's a few ideas:

- If I weren't very prone to getting seasick, I'd love to try one of the cruises these folks do: www.windjammer.com

- If you like history and ruins, you would get a real kick out of Malta.  However, it is a long trip to get there, so you'd really want to go for two weeks.

- We like Vieques, off the coast of PR.  Going back next month.  Its a really neat place and very much unlike most of the rest of the overdeveloped Carribean.  www.enchanted-isle.com  Relatively cheap, too.

- I hear Baja California is pretty nice, but I have never been since its a loooong way from the northeast.

While living in Germany, a friend and I took a trip to Malta and loved it. I remember it being quite inexpensive at the time and absolutely beautiful!

Ft. Lauderdale, FL is very convenient for cruising if you can get a reasonable flight there. $10 taxi ride from the airport to cruise port takes 5-10 minutes. Not too busy at the airport or cruiseport. We took Celebrity cruises' Century out of there - no complaints about anything - they had excellent attention to detail. I know I've seen some cheap deals on the Century lately.

Century 7 Nights Caribbean Cruise from Ft. Lauderdale
1/28, 2/11 Western, 2/4 Eastern
CC $870pp
Oceanview $655pp
Inside $540pp

from here:
http://www.cruiseman.com/happyhour.htm

I check there once in a while for daydreaming purposes.

I've seen some cheap deals for 7-9 days out of San Diego (or somewhere in SoCal) to Baja California/Mexican Riviera that might interest you. Do some googling and surfing to see what kind of deals are out there.

Can you spell Tortola, or St. Croix? Or the entire Virgin Islands, if you're gonna cruise.

Cruises in the Mediterranean and in the Aegean Sea are unbelievable, you will be humbled by the History, will allow you as an American to realise in the history of the world where you may fit in.

To walk in the footsteps of Alexander, of Homer, of Helen, truly inspiring.

Greece is amazing...

Although I wouldnt fully dismiss the club med thing. One of my favorite 'warm place, no thinking required' vacation spots. Skip the ones targetted for young singles and you should be pretty good. Plus they usually have kayaks...

Back
Top Bottom