Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
and your point is? Yankees and people from the old country tend to want to stay put and would never put themselves in hock for 40%. People in LA/Silicon Valley/Honolulu who knows?

If my debt/income ratio is under 30% (maybe it's 20% like W2R, or even 10%!) then I can also more easily bear the situation of not making equity headway right away. At 40% or more I have far greater obligations and far less flexibility. Feh.
My point is that your point is irrelevant w/r/t how much of a payment goes to principle.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2008, 01:36 PM   #162

Quote:
your point is irrelevant w/r/t how much of a payment goes to principle.
Marquette, respectfully, I don't think it is irrelevant.
Let's say we have a family with an income of $100k and $40k of that goes to recent mortgage debt of almost entirely interest. A second family with a $100k income takes on a similar mortgage structure for a house that costs 1/2 as much. They can coast paying $20k of mostly interest OR they can accelerate payments.. they have more latitude to pay down principle if they choose. That's how I see it, anyway. The 40% family has that 40% noose around their neck that ain't goin' anywhere.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:02 PM   #163

I can see this is going to head in the same direction as other parts of the thread so I'll abstain.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:58 AM   #164

Why is everybody getting all high and mighty about principles? Is this an ethics thread?
Old 09-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #165
Full time employment: Posting here.

50% of the credit losses in the second quarter of both Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were Alt-A Mortgages. This occurred even though only 10% of their portfolios were Alt-A.

With 9.2% of mortgages in the U.S. being either more than 30 days delinquent or already in foreclosure, today's decision by the Fed to place these two major players in the secondary mortgage market in conservatorship did not come too soon. Were Alt-A loans the straw that finally broke the camel's back?

U.S. Seizes Mortgage Giants - WSJ.com
Old 09-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #166

and the so called professionals said their computer models made by people with phd's predicted that people with good credit will never default at such high rates. absolutely shocking
Old 12-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #167
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sunday's CBS 60 Minutes carried a news segment about the second wave of mortgage foreclosures- Alt A and Option ARMs with the projected meltdown continuing through 2011:

The Mortgage Meltdown Video - CBSNews.com

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:57 AM   #168
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
Sunday's CBS 60 Minutes carried a news segment about the second wave of mortgage foreclosures- Alt A and Option ARMs with the projected meltdown continuing through 2009 and 2010:

See this thread: A Second Mortgage Disaster On The Horizon?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #169
Confused about dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to RedHotLama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
Sunday's CBS 60 Minutes carried a news segment about the second wave of mortgage foreclosures- Alt A and Option ARMs with the projected meltdown continuing through 2011:

This is all why I do not want to buy a house anytime soon. Maybe my wife will believe me now.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #170
Recycles dryer sheets

This information has been freely available on the Internet for four years at least now.

Is it somehow more real now that the mainstream media is saying it is so?

Does the fact that TV and newspapers now state that Alt-A and even prime loans are in deep trouble somehow make it a fact, whereas it was tin-hat fantasy before?

Isn't it easier just to ignore information you don't want to deal with because it's too disturbing.

How about killing the messenger?

Isn't it better to denigrate someone who points out uncomfortable truths, then later say that nobody could have known?
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #171
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes?