Join Early Retirement Today

New Year's Cautious Glee
Old 01-07-2009, 07:38 AM   #1
Administrator

New Year's Cautious Glee

The market has been doing so much better lately. Granted, it hasn't recovered and probably won't this early on, but it is what it is and with the Dow back over 9000, I am feeling a bit of optimism and cautious glee.

So, today I resumed DCA'ing into the G-Fund (government bond fund, guaranteed to never sink in share price) in my TSP.

I suspended my DCA into that fund last October, violating my financial plan due to the economic collapse. My plan has my entire TSP in G-Fund by next November, as part of the bonds in my desired asset allocation.

Anyone else noticing and enjoying this brief respite from the continual doom and gloom we have been experiencing?

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:15 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Please keep it down. The stock Gods will make us pay.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Please keep it down. The stock Gods will make us pay.
I hope not!

Besides, maybe if enough people start thinking we are in a recovery, the market will soar.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Besides, maybe if enough people start thinking we are in a recovery, the market will soar.
Normally, a stock market recovery precedes an economic recovery by several months. I suppose part of that is because the stock market is a forward-looking mechanism, and part of that might be that a rallying stock market may boost consumer confidence, which could in turn spur additional economic activity.

Another item of note is that one of the first asset classes to recover from a market bottom is usually junk bonds, and they've been hot in the last couple of weeks. Whether it's a head fake or a signal remains to be seen, of course.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Normally, a stock market recovery precedes an economic recovery by several months. I suppose part of that is because the stock market is a forward-looking mechanism, and part of that might be that a rallying stock market may boost consumer confidence, which could in turn spur additional economic activity.

Another item of note is that one of the first asset classes to recover from a market bottom is usually junk bonds, and they've been hot in the last couple of weeks. Whether it's a head fake or a signal remains to be seen, of course.
I really, really hope that this is the beginnings of a recovery. Just a Dow of 9500 would make me deliriously happy.

Of course, since I went from 80% to 85% G-fund two and a half hours ago via a transfer (which will be done within 2 business days) from S&P 500, international stocks, and small cap stocks, the Dow is already 125 points down.

Dawg was right - - the stock gods are making me pay.

I didn't think I was engaging in market timing, but maybe I was, just a wee bit...

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-07-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Glee from life...yes. Glee from the mkt at 9000...not so much.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well market looks like crap today. WTG!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Well market looks like crap today. WTG!

I know, and it's all my fault! Oh well. Serves me right for being a dirty market timer.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 01-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think we have a long way to go before we've got anything to be gleeful about. Hang on ...
Old 01-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #10

Want2Retire, perhaps you should keep your stock purchases secret for a day or two?

Coach
Old 01-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #11

Currently, headed to 'negative for the year" and if it goes -250 over the ADP jobs figures what is going to happen Friday, if the jobs number is -800,000 plus? Our stock market has become totally "news oriented".
Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I know, and it's all my fault! Oh well. Serves me right for being a dirty market timer.
Yeah, lemme chime in with all the other grateful posters to say "Thanks a freakin' lot"!

Weren't you the one who got all giddy over Dow 13,000? Hopefully you'll be able to update that thread soon.

Holy cow, no, it was 14,000. Oh, great, now Armageddon is upon us...
Record Dow! Whee!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Weren't you the one who got all giddy over Dow 13,000? Hopefully you'll be able to update that thread soon.

Holy cow, no, it was 14,000. Oh, great, now Armageddon is upon us...
Record Dow! Whee!

Those were the good old days when I was feeling so rich I quit my job just as the market feel apart . I wish I had that money back I would really enjoy it but having been through this before I know how it goes . You get a little back and then you lose it and little by little you get more back but it may take a long time .