New York Times article this weekend...

Perhaps, but then again, nobody but the man himself cares about the state of his ego. He can call himself "retired" all he wants, but all the while, others are thinking, "kept man.":LOL:

OK, seriously, I'd say it's just habit. Even nowadays, more women stay at home than go out to work, and our language continues to reflect that view of the sexes: https://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/despite-growing-gender-equality-more-women-stay-home-men

My guess is that it is because men typically have more sensitive egos.:(

Last edited:
Perhaps, but then again, nobody but the man himself cares about the state of his ego. He can call himself "retired" all he wants, but all the while, others are thinking, "kept man.":LOL:

OK, seriously, I'd say it's just habit. Even nowadays, more women stay at home than go out to work, and our language continues to reflect that view of the sexes: https://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/despite-growing-gender-equality-more-women-stay-home-men

In my case, I convinced my YW to quit her job 15 yrs ago when we first started living together and agreed to take over support for her Mother and two younger sisters. After, we had our first child she suffered PPD and I had to hire help to take over household/child care duties.

About 7 years later most of her girlfriends had gotten advanced degrees and were pursuing careers and I believe YW felt the need to be looked at as more than a SAHM and wanted the social interaction that a career afforded.

After our second child three years ago, she could not wait to get her figure back and get back to the office.

Her co-workers are mostly Doctors and engineers and she is respected and treated as an equal. Next year, my Wife will leave her job, we will move to the USA so she can study in the University.

People have always tried to "label" me and put me in some box marked "xxx". When I am finally in a box "6 feet under" I only hope the "label" up top say's "Loving Father"!

One thing just came to mind reading one of our ongoing SS threads.

These young folks who retire in their 30's.... Are they going to complain about their pathetically low SS payments when they hit their 60's? Will they be the ones walking out of the SS office saying "What!?!? Is that all I get? How can I live of of that and 4% of what is left of my million from 30 years ago?"

These young folks who retire in their 30's.... Are they going to complain about their pathetically low SS payments when they hit their 60's? Will they be the ones walking out of the SS office saying "What!?!? Is that all I get? How can I live of of that and 4% of what is left of my million from 30 years ago?"

That can be a real issue. Most of us will be dead or out of it to find out, if this becomes a huge trend.

I wonder if FUEGO has commented on this issue? BTW, love FUEGO's thoughts and sharing here. At least he and his wife came up with a plan to release her from working a regular job.

Good question, In my case they just call me "Sir"!

Oh, crap!

Now is the board going to start in on the 'preferred pronoun' drill?

Will there be mandatory training?

"FIRE" is one of the new hot social topics; it's the new thing to be! (But we were here with this forum long before)

Everyone wants to be FIRE'd now so there's all kinds of articles and claims of FI.

Not long ago we had a thread here on whether one is RE'd if you still 'work' but do something you love and other such nonsense.

IIR, the consensus was that to be truly FIRE'd you needed to live on passive income alone.

Good point. I think they’ll be saying “ if only I had known SS would still be around, I would have kept working, maybe part time”. It’s been drilled into these folks that SS will not survive.

I teach one online college class and consider myself retired. I do it for fun.

"FIRE" is one of the new hot social topics; it's the new thing to be! (But we were here with this forum long before)

Everyone wants to be FIRE'd now so there's all kinds of articles and claims of FI.

Not long ago we had a thread here on whether one is RE'd if you still 'work' but do something you love and other such nonsense.

IIR, the consensus was that to be truly FIRE'd you needed to live on passive income alone.

By that definition my inlaws are FIRE'd, but I guess we will still have to pay the bill's so that they don't become truly POOR!

By that definition my inlaws are FIRE'd, but I guess we will still have to pay the bill's so that they don't become truly POOR!
Yep. They qualify. You are their passive source.

Hmmm. Glad to know that I'm not really retired since I have kids under roof. I'm a stay at home mom, instead. I guess the fact that I chose to walk away from decades as an engineer, thinking I was early retiring,so that I could do things I enjoy, is cancelled out because I still have minor age children. It's made worse because my already retired husband chose to go back for an 8 month consulting gig (long since ended)... No matter that I was pulling from savings I'd accumulated (myself) for more than half of the household spending... Since my husband was working, I must not be retired but instead be a SAHM.

I get annoyed when the retirement police come out and apply rules and labels to suggest I'm not really retired.

I thought the "second bend point" was reached after ~$675,000 in lifetime earnings. IIRC, you don't really add much to your monthly check beyond that.

The 'burned out' made me LOL too... It's called LIFE and WORK...

A few weeks ago, we had a kid only 8 years old, sitting playing games on his iPad while the adults were having dinner yelling at me... THE WiFi IS SOOO SLOW HERE!!. Few things wrong w that statement from little Mr 8-year-old sitting on the couch, but don't get me started on that...

Anyway, really?? I feel like an old person, but really? Slow WiFi, burned out... aaaa, please!!!

I was sailing with my folks and my son, we docked our boat on an island harbor. There were two kids about 10 and 8 that were 'moored' to the outside of a building with there ipads/phones. I was wondering why they were spending so much time next to the marina shack when it dawned on me...

The wireless router was on the other side of the wall they were at. Mind you we were at a gorgeous island, with tons of history, character and fun activities to do. I just shook my head but did try to start a worthwhile conversation with them. They had no idea what they were letting pass them by. Mom and dad had to force them away from the router. :confused:

Mind you we were at a gorgeous island, with tons of history, character and fun activities to do. I just shook my head but did try to start a worthwhile conversation with them. They had no idea what they were letting pass them by. Mom and dad had to force them away from the router. :confused:

Ever go to a [insert event here] (ball game, concert, guided tour, museum, boat ride) of late? Everybody has their head down instead of looking around.

I wonder if longer term the travel industry will suffer as these people start to decide to just stay home and surf rather than go out and experience things (sort of what I'm doing right now, posting here on a beautiful day)

Ever go to a [insert event here] (ball game, concert, guided tour, museum, boat ride) of late? Everybody has their head down instead of looking around.

I wonder if longer term the travel industry will suffer as these people start to decide to just stay home and surf rather than go out and experience things (sort of what I'm doing right now, posting here on a beautiful day)

I think VR will begin to ‘infringe’ on the travel business.

Come to Rekall, Incorporated, where you can buy the memory of your ideal vacation.

Great movie! And, I love the T-shirt.

Seriously though, I have a friend who’s Oculus Rift I’ve used and it’s quite an experience. I expect we’ll see accelerating VR development in our lifetime. :popcorn:

I have a good friend who retired at about age 40 on a small inheritance. He and his wife did some traveling, but not more than I did while I was working. He mostly spent the day reading and puttering around the house and garden. It didn't look all that great to me but I really enjoyed my job and am not good at sitting around the house all day. I am retired now (age 67, retired 5 years ago) and looking back I would not have traded places with my friend. I feel like DW and I had great professional lives and retired at just the perfect time. But to each his own.

I live in a suburban mid-upper mid class neighborhood. It is very said to see teens and parents walking their dogs, kids or siblings around the neighborhood with their faces in a phone. (Except for the helicopter mom down the street who is between her three kids and their shadows!):facepalm:

For the next 2 months, I will be spending 20+ hours a week, cleaning, sanitizing, destemming, monitoring,fermenting, pushing down, crushing, pressing, siphoning, monitoring, moving, barreling, and more monitoring. I consider my self retired.:dance:

I think some people just like the status of saying they are FIREd. We know someone who was telling people he was FIREd in his fifties, but the reality is that 20 years later he had two jobs, one for minimum wage. I don't think he ever stopped working at all in the ensuing years so it wasn't just a matter of poor planning.

2x4, did your friend stay retired? Was he sorry he went so early?

I have a good friend who retired at about age 40 on a small inheritance. He and his wife did some traveling, but not more than I did while I was working. He mostly spent the day reading and puttering around the house and garden. It didn't look all that great to me but I really enjoyed my job and am not good at sitting around the house all day. I am retired now (age 67, retired 5 years ago) and looking back I would not have traded places with my friend. I feel like DW and I had great professional lives and retired at just the perfect time. But to each his own.

I agree, for me ideally is between 55-62. No earlier than that. I’ve only found one person in real life retire before 60, she is my art class. She has a pension too, that helps with early retirement. But there’s group of people like policemen, firefighters, etc.. where jobs could be dangerous to their health. They probably retire in their 40s.

I agree, for me ideally is between 55-62. No earlier than that. I’ve only found one person in real life retire before 60, she is my art class. She has a pension too, that helps with early retirement. But there’s group of people like policemen, firefighters, etc.. where jobs could be dangerous to their health. They probably retire in their 40s.

What about all of us on E-R.org?

Oh crap! It’s like in ‘The Matrix’; I’m not living in “real life”, it’s all a simulation. :facepalm: :hide:

What about all of us on E-R.org?

Oh crap! It’s like in ‘The Matrix’; I’m not living in “real life”, it’s all a simulation. :facepalm: :hide:

Average retirement age here is around 55-57 years old. You will be fine......:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom