NEWSFLASH: Bernstein slams early retirement!!!

Cut-Throat said:
Well, I'm not sure this message negates anything in the 'four pillars'. As I remember it, the four pillars touted index investing over active investing. I really don't recall anything about SWRs and retirement.

Well, you remembered one of the pillars correctly. But I suspect his next book may be about why passive index investing no longer works. :)

What a lot of people here seem to take home from 4-pillars is that 1) asset allocation a la the efficient frontier can save your bacon, 2) higher risk = higher reward, and 3) future returns can be estimated with the "Gordon equation."

What Bernstein is essentially saying now, which he doesn't clearly state in the book, is that 1) the efficient frontier is a moving target, so don't put too much faith in your asset allocation, 2) the future risk premium may decline (as it has been for years now), and 3) the longer your investment horizon, the less you'll be able to extrapolate historical growth.

Certainly nothing revolutionary here, but it's refreshing to hear some of the things he's saying. The only certainty is uncertainty. Smart investors will try to reduce the unknowns, and one way to do that is to continue working (not that there's anything wrong with that :)).

My husband is pleased with my "productivity," beings how I now do almost all of the errands and chores since he's still at work and I'm not.

My brother is pleased that I was able to stay with him during his recent hospitalization, feed him when he was unable to feed himself, and deliver his favorite home-cooked meals and take time to chat while he's recuperating at home this week.

My daughter is pleased that I was able to take her wedding gown shopping and help her with wedding arrangements.

My elderly mother is pleased that I can spend more time with her.

My former co-workers are pleased that I have time to edit their resumes and give moral support after their big layoff just weeks after I retired.

And I haven't even figured out what sort of volunteer work I'd like to do yet.

"Productive" is in the eye of the beholder.

Productive in RE cannot be defined in the same way as productive in a job or business.

Productive in retirement IS doing domestic chores that you had to pay some one else to do while working. It IS using one's time instead of money to do things that were paid services before, e.g., lawn work, house keeping, cooking instead of eating out, scouting for sales instead of implulse purchased due to time constraints, etc.

RE productivity could also be being more productive with your health through exercise and eating right and through less stress.

Most of the "work" I did for MegaCorp was unproductive. When I was honest with myself I would admit it. Meaningless bureacratic nonsense that would be hard to find now, since I'm gone for nearly two years.

Also, I don't think that my MegaCorp was alone. Corporate and government jobs take an energetic, enthusiastic individual and grinds him/her down. Had I any sense, I would have left Mega-Corp in about two weeks, once I broke the code. A lot of puffed up people trying to look busy and who are supported by a few brilliant engineers.

Ross Perot had a great line a few years ago. He was talking about the differences between his company and General Motors. His line. At (Perot Inc.? I forget the name), when we see a snake, we kill it. At GM, when we see a snake, we call a meeting. He was spot on. I believe there are thousands of people who trudge off daily to work at their MegaCorps, who know this work is nonsense, but who are trapped by the golden handcuffs. I have shed the handcuffs, am receiving the gold, and am no longer trapped. :D Please continue to be productive, if you must, if you believe you are. I'll take the gold.

Eagle43 said:
At (Perot Inc.? I forget the name)

EDS, IIRC. I've done some vendor support work for them. Don't think I'd want to work for him or his company (apparently he sees lots of snakes), but that's neither here nor there.

BigMoneyJim said:
EDS, IIRC. I've done some vendor support work for them. Don't think I'd want to work for him or his company (apparently he sees lots of snakes), but that's neither here nor there.

Was he still at EDS then? I guess that makes sense with the GM reference. But he had sold EDS and founded "PerotSystems" by 1988.

moghopper said:
Was he still at EDS then? I guess that makes sense with the GM reference. But he had sold EDS and founded "PerotSystems" by 1988.

Well, color me stupid :uglystupid: . A Google search confirms what you say. I had several brief visits at EDS HQ in the 90's and heard some Perot stories, but I guess they were old stories.

Remember, most of the early retirement studies focus on U.S data (easy to come by and good quality) to the exclusion of all of the other markets that have existed (does Belgian planning depend on past 2% real returns?) with investing costs are ignored or downplayed (Vanguard at .18% wasn't available in 1926, so why is it assumed?). Having read Bernsteins 'Birth of Plenty', I think he implying that the vagaries of longer life times and a broader reading of world history make successful early retirement a more chancy proposition than is realized.  In general, wages have risen about 1% above the inflation rate, so a retiree replacing income on a inflation adjusted basis slowly falls behind wage earners (see efficent frontier online, he talks about in one of retirement planning from hell articles). ‘Four Pillars’ does mention withdrawal rates near the last chapter, suggesting that with expected returns at the time of printing, withdrawal without touching capital might be only 2%.  ‘Your money or Your Life’, while good philosophy, is poor financially, suggesting spending all of the income from long term gov’t. bonds with no reinvestment against future inflation. I personally assume 0% net real after taxes from ever more conservative portfolios (attempting to maintain level spending until late life), which is more consistent with world market averages, but conservative for past U.S. history.

Plus it makes the math easier - Divide after tax fixed pensions and mixed portfolios annually over remaining IRS life expectancy, matching required minimum distributions requirements from defined contribution plans.

SS may be a fully income taxed fixed pension after non-cola taxes and med B deducted.
Increasing percent withdrawal uses capital trying to keep spending level until late life.
Broad diversification tends to dampen spending swings from changing portfolio values.

I was really productive this morning. I spent $175 at the grocery store for our trip to Montana trout fishing next week. :)

I hope the trout fishing is productive also next week. Even though we throw them all back, it sure feels productive to torture play them on the line for awhile. 8)

Cut-Throat said:
I was really productive this morning. I spent $175 at the grocery store for our trip to Montana trout fishing next week.  :)

I hope the trout fishing is productive also next week. Even though we throw them all back, it sure feels productive to torture play them on the line for awhile. 8)
I'm having a productive week too. We unpacked from our week near Grand Junction, CO, did laundry, aired out the camping gear, downloaded our GPS data, mowed the lawn, dealt with the mail, and shopped for our trip next week to Sprinfield, CO. This is a great time of year to be camping at these altitudes. Beats the Phoenix heat right now. :D :D :D

Catching numerous trout with inexpensive Zebco reel and salmon eggs while standing in feezing water in jeans and tennis shoes WHILE Eddie Baur outfitted fly fisherman (including hats, wicker creel and SUV) don't catch a thing  - PRICELESS. I wore those same salmon egg soaked pants several days in a row - boy were they damp and cold in the morning.

I knew Cut was a trout nut, now I find more of us?
I just got back from the UP in MI from an un-productive walleye fishing trip, we did however have time to take in museums, sight see, lounge at a cabin on a pretty lake, go on a carriage ride, and other non-productive stuff. Came home to hurry about cutting grass, doing chores so I can go this weekend on a grouse hunting/fly fishing trip that should be equally un-productive. Myself I don't really give a rats rear end if someone thinks I'm productive or not! shredder

rmark said:
Catching numerous trout with inexpensive Zebco reel and salmon eggs while standing in feezing water in jeans and tennis shoes WHILE Eddie Baur outfitted fly fisherman (including hats, wicker creel and SUV) don't catch a thing  - PRICELESS. I wore those same salmon egg soaked pants several days in a row - boy were they damp and cold in the morning.

Us Fly fisherman fish with flies, not because it's easy; we do it because it is difficult. :)

Cut-Throat said:
Us Fly fisherman fish with flies, not because it's easy; we do it because it is difficult.  :)

Kinda like mountain climbing or walking around the block, they're both walking but one is slightly more difficult....Shredder

I tend to catch carp - not intentionally, it just happens. I once caught one on a Mepps spinner while trout fishing on Lake Vallecito in Colorado.

‘Four Pillars’ does mention withdrawal rates near the last chapter, suggesting that with expected returns at the time of printing, withdrawal without touching capital might be only 2%.

I think this sounds reasonable. If you retired in your 30s or early 40s, it would make sense not to drain your portfolio much in first few years to allow for some increased compounding and give yourself a "raise" as your portfolio increases. Besides, folks that can retire at that age are probably pretty well accustomed to LBYM and saving (how they could get to 1 million plus ports), and are happy at that level of spending.

To the person who wants to retire at age 45 or 50, I say lots of luck; while it's possible he or she may be able to withdraw 5% per year of the intitial inflation-adjusted corpus, I can easily conceive of circumstances in which even 2% may be too much. Further, with a time horizon that long, one has to face up to the reality that "merely" keeping up with inflation will seriously disadvantage him or her regarding wage earners, whose earnings will be increasing along with productivity increases.

My advice? Forget about retiring at 45; you're better off being a productive human being as long as you can, and you'll certainly worry a lot less about your money running out.

For the record, i agree with him.   Intercst/those on that other sister website know that i do, because i disagree with the assumption made by firecalc that the great depression can be assumed to be the worst case scenario.   To assume it could never get worse than that is simply naive, if i may just be blunt.

I think he's right not only about considering your productivity level in your 50s, but also not having to worry about money is a major good reason to work a little while longer.   To elaborate, most people make more money as they get older and move up the ladder.   Your late 40s/early 50s are likely to be your highest paid years of your career.   To give those up really hurts from a financial standpoint.   

Re: worrying about money, i have seen many of you ER regulars here doing just that frequently either directly and blatently, or indirectly implying its a concern for you, as well as having to live an ER life without some of the luxuries of us working folks (such as a solid health plan that you can afford).   Being at work can certainly suck.   Worry all the time whether you're going to run out of money by the time you're physically unable to work I would have to imagine, could also suck equally as much, perhaps more.

I also remind you guys on some of my former discussion on how compounding works.  When you cut out those last typical 5, 10, 15 years of a compounding model, you effectively cut out the real growth period of monetary growth.   Anyone that's seen a compounding model over time knows that the real money is made at the end (aka in your 50s) while you're still working and saving.   That being said, for every year eariler you want to retire, you have to work exponentially harder to make that happen (to make up for the lost compounding effect).  That is a mathematical truth.

I think as with so, so many things in life, the best answer for me, and i charge possibly for most people, is a happy medium.   For me that's probably going to be mid-late 50s.    I think for most people, mid 40s is taking it too far, and 37 (looks at intercst), is just insane.   Intercst, you will either continue your speaking engagements and/or you will go back to work some day.   Its probably best someone tells you that now while you're still young enough to reconsider your approach. Now if you're worth 2mil+ now and living like the unibomber, then yes consider myself "corrected".

Martha said:
HaHa, this is for you. :)

Thanks Martha (and Greg). This is a very interesting article.

If the market doesn't tank soon, Greg and I will have to get together and sing "We Shall Overcome".

Ha

azanon said:
...I think as with so, so many things in life, the best answer for me, and i charge possibly for most people, is a happy medium.   For me that's probably going to be mid-late 50s.    I think for most people, mid 40s is taking it too far, and 37 (looks at intercst), is just insane.   Intercst, you will either continue your speaking engagements and/or you will go back to work some day.   Its probably best someone tells you that now while you're still young enough to reconsider your approach.  Now if you're worth 2mil+ now and living like the unibomber, then yes consider myself "corrected".

That post reminds me of the song Frank Sinatra would sing "All or Nothing at All."

If I understand you correctly, you think working and saving until at least age 55 is the best move while others here think quitting cold-turkey at 40 or younger is the way to go.

Well, the "happy medium" may be working and saving to age 40 or thereabouts, and then working just enough (part-time) to cover your living expenses thereafter until age 50 or thereabouts.

If you need $45K a year and you have $1,000,000 at age 40, which is the preferred track to take:

1.  Keep working full-time to age 55 ending with $2,978,000
(assuming 6% growth plus $25K added from savings per year)

2.  Work part-time to cover your living expenses while letting the portfolio grow without additional savings to say $1,790,000 by age 50 (6%, no additional savings)

3.  Retire completely at 40 with $1,000,000 with a 4.5% draw per year.

Cut-Throat said:
...Sure things might get worse in my lifetime than the depression. If it happens, I'll adjust. But, if I had to bet, I'd bet it won't get worse than the depression. That's actually pretty realistic, according to most economists and financial folks.

And, even if it did get worse than the depression (which I also don't think it will), most ER folks have a sizeable amount of cash as part of their portfolio.  When everyone is out of work and bread costs 5 cents a loaf again, I will still be sitting pretty, relative to everyone else that has zero or negative net worth.

Okay, so tell me whats so productive about getting up at 6am, putting on clothes you only bought for work, getting in your car and driving it somewhere where you'll leave it all day, and spending that day sitting in a windowless room arguing over whether a program should be named 'x' or 'y', or having two hour conversations about taking away employees cell phones and pagers to save on expenses. All this to get a paycheck to pay for the clothes, the car, the house that sat empty all day, and for gifts and vacations with the family you never get to see...?

I guess some jobs may be more "productive" than others. On the other hand, some ER's may be more "productive" than others. I learn a lot. I spend every hour of every day with my newborn son. I dont get stressed out over work politics and projects that dont matter now, let alone a few months or years from now.

I like my ER productivity a LOT better than my old work productivity.

retire@40 said:
That post reminds me of the song Frank Sinatra would sing "All or Nothing at All."

If I understand you correctly, you think working and saving until at least age 55 is the best move while others here think quitting cold-turkey at 40 or younger is the way to go.

Well, the "happy medium" may be working and saving to age 40 or thereabouts, and then working just enough (part-time) to cover your living expenses thereafter until age 50 or thereabouts.

If you need $45K a year and you have $1,000,000 at age 40, which is the preferred track to take:

1.  Keep working full-time to age 55 ending with $2,978,000
(assuming 6% growth plus $25K added from savings per year)

2.  Work part-time to cover your living expenses while letting the portfolio grow without additional savings to say $1,790,000 by age 50 (6%, no additional savings)

3.  Retire completely at 40 with $1,000,000 with a 4.5% draw per year.

I could have retired many years before I did, if I had had a plan in place
before my epiphany (circa 1992). As it was (no plan), I needed those last few years of working. Even then I really didn't have a plan right up until
the job ended. Seems stupid now, even though it worked out okay.

JG

Back
Top Bottom