Join Early Retirement Today

NFCU 5% 12 mo. Share Certs ($5000 max)
Old 09-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

NFCU 5% 12 mo. Share Certs ($5000 max)

Just saw on Bogleheads that Navy Federal Credit Union is has a special deal on 12 month Share Certificates (CDs). $5000 max per purchaser. 12 month maturity. 5% APY. Only one per customer. (But if spouse is a joint member can buy two.)

You need to be a member (or eligible to join) to participate.

https://www.navyfederal.org/membersh...soffers|140902

I just bought two.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sweet! Thanks for the heads-up.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Set up 2 one for DW and one for myself. Not great time or dollar limit but a nice gesture on NFCU's part. At the end of the year $3K of each will revert to 3% for another year if otherwise qualified.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Just did same for wife and I ...they could also set up an "entity" (ex: HOA).

Anyone have insight into what this means ...just a get more biz come on? Shirt term markets for large amounts doing better? NFCU's loan biz doing better and just turning money around? (Doesn't make sense due to lower loan rates than CD rates, though).

As a btw - NFCU biz was easier and faster done on ohone than on line ...a trend, perhaps? Faster to exchange identification data and safer?
Old 09-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
You need to be a member (or eligible to join) to participate
Looks like not even a disabkled vet can join... But a civilan can.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #6

Those who found NFCU user friendly, please enlighten me. I don't remember such a struggle. Signing up for membership was easy for a retired civilian worker. Buying a CD using ACH cannot be done. I called and they confirmed that buying the CD would need to be done on the phone or at a branch bank. I don't like doing these transactions by phone instead of internet. They allow ACH for the initial setup of the share account but, thereafter, ACH from NFCU to another financial institution to buy a NFCU product is not available. Also, they send debit cards by default even if you don't want them. (At least I saw no way to say no in the signup even though I set up a share account with only $5 in it and no other account.) I told Nico (the phone guy) I would just shred them and he said that would work. He wouldn't cancel them. How do I cancel them?

So what is the easy way that I didn't find and the phone guy didn't know about either?
Old 09-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks like active, retired mil or civil service, or family member of one of the these categories ...

My experience this morning took about a minute ...already members, though.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Family member even includes parents and grandparents. That is a very generous interpretation of Family.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

how about son that was in the army or son that was in the marine corps?
Old 09-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
how about son that was in the army or son that was in the marine corps?
1. You can go to the NFCU Web-Site and they have a "do I qualify" app you can use to see. Just answer the questions.

2. Alternatively (or additionally) you will find a phone number to call NFCU at the same site to ask specifically.

From what you say I would say I doubt it but doing one and/or two should remove or confirm that.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

To Senator's point ... it does seem odd that a veteran cannot join ... anyone have any thoughts on why vets would not be "acceptable," but "family of" would?
Old 09-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
To Senator's point ... it does seem odd that a veteran cannot join ... anyone have any thoughts on why vets would not be "acceptable," but "family of" would?

Not sure and mostly a guess but probably has something to do with protecting the "non-profit status" of the credit union.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I am a veteran of the Viet Nam war, but I guess that doesn't count for me to join directly with that status.

But I have a nephew in the Army (active duty) so I guess I can join if I select Family member? Correct?
Old 09-08-2014, 11:20 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

now only if they'd let you open 20 or 30 accounts
Old 09-10-2014, 05:41 AM   #15
Dryer sheet wannabe

Been a member for 30 years and just jumped on this, thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
I thought the same ting. not even a disabled vet. So a grand-kid of a active military person has a higher status than a disabled vet. Go figure.

I am not surprised. People on welfare have a better health care system than the veterans too...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I signed up over the phone. Could not have been an easier process. Easy way to make $250.

Quote:
it does seem odd that a veteran cannot join
I am a veteran.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I signed up over the phone. Could not have been an easier process. Easy way to make $250.

I am a veteran.
What was your method? A few of us veterans here can't seem to get through the process.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

We had three generations of Ohana Nords hop on this one for four CDs...

I'm sure that NFCU has found somewhere to loan out a pile of bucks at 5.1% or higher...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I heard about this and ran to local branch to open with some cash I had on-hand, all was very easy being retired Army. Opened CD with $1,000 then moved some from Fidelity, to increase to $4,500 and then added another $600 to see what would happen if I went over $5K. No problem. I now have CD with $5,100 at 5%. Will probably add monthly cash overflow for couple months. So seems you can add to increase to over 5K.