Nieces and nephews holiday gifts

I have young adult children (think college students). They always want cash, food, cash, food, and gift cards to buy food and things online.

Checks are not good because it means they need to go to their bank to deposit the check......

Actually checks are perfect, and can be educational.
I used to give cash to my adult children in a card.
When I no longer could be around for the holidays, I mailed checks.

Amazingly the checks were not cashed by one of them for a month, so I phoned and found out she DID NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH A CHECK !!

So I had to explain to her how to take it to the bank and endorse it at the bank, now she knows more about banking.

I have a smaller family - 5 nieces and nephews (3 adults, 2 still in high school/middle school). The three oldest live nearby, so we're together for pretty much all holidays. The other two I don't usually see on their birthdays, but we're together for Christmas most years. All get birthday and Christmas gifts each year. Never occurred to me to stop!

Never really thought about the flip side. I have one aunt and one uncle (different sides of the family). My aunt usually sends a little Christmas gift and just an email on my birthday. I buy her a present if we're going to be together on Christmas (same with cousins), but that happens rarely. I hadn't seen or heard from my uncle in 15 years until he reached out last Christmas with a letter and a small gift, and then I saw him for dinner this fall when I was on the west coast.

Checks are not good because it means they need to go to their bank to deposit the check.

Checks can be deposited online these days.

I have young adult children (think college students). They always want cash, food, cash, food, and gift cards to buy food and things online.

Checks are not good because it means they need to go to their bank to deposit the check.

Remember: Cash, food, and gift cards to buy food and things online.

We are still in your camp, although our kids are older and have realized that food is no substitute for more cash or a set of tires.

The nephews and nieces in our "extended family" live pretty far away and we have not sent them funds, only cards (unless DW has done that and I am not aware of it).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom