Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I have young adult children (think college students). They always want cash, food, cash, food, and gift cards to buy food and things online.

Checks are not good because it means they need to go to their bank to deposit the check.

Remember: Cash, food, and gift cards to buy food and things online.
Hmmm must be an old timey bank or your checks are too big. My CU has allowed me to take a picture of my check for at least 4 years now.. anything up to $2500... haven't walked into a bank in 4 years... anything big I have electronic transferred.

Also btw, there are many online options.. paypal .. popmoney .. also haven't written a check in years.

Food is the only gift I let my parents give me these days... my mom loves to bake, and I'd never turn down a fresh homemade blackberry pie. The money they can keep.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We produce a calendar every Christmas using an old windows program called Calendar Creator Plus. DW collects pictures of brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, and grand children through out the year. She make a collage of each brother and sister family. We also include a back page with all the address, phone numbers, and email addresses. A calendar goes to all. It cost us about $5 to produce, maybe a little more, and a couple of bucks to send. Labor is the main ingredient, but for DW it is an act of love. We now have a collection 20 years of family pictures.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #23

Last year I brought up abandoning gifts to adult n&n and was greeted by a shocked expression from DW. But, she suggested it to SIL who was THRILLED with the idea. Now if I can just get the idea of abandoning the idea of exchanging gift cards with BIL and SIL. It's just silly. I have no problem with buying things that would make people happy and surprise them, but just giving cash to people out of obligation bugs me. In our family our generation as well as our kids all have about everything they want or need so thinking up truly appropriate gifts is a stretch. Frankly, even our gifts to grandkids get lost in the avalanche of stuff. Oh well. Bah Humbug!
Old 12-15-2015, 03:45 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

We send gift certs for favorite restaurants to two adult nieces. Adult nephew likes to cook so we send him steaks.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #25

DW and I have 21 nephews and nieces ranging in age from 13 to 40 We give gifts cards to stores/restaurants we know they frequent. We also send a little "stocking stuffer" gift (candy, chocolates, etc). On more than one occasion they have asked if we mind if they passed the gift card along to a friend in financial difficulty, and we are fine with that.

We have several great-nieces/nephews that we get a gift within their interests (e.g. one is really into the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" books so he gets one every year).

We do it since I am still working and we can afford it. My siblings and our family stopped exchanging gifts years ago (we all felt we were too old and it was too much harassment), but we enjoy getting things for the next generation. The time will comes when we cannot afford it and will stop. They know that, and appreciate what we do now.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:11 AM   #26

Quote:
I have young adult children (think college students). They always want cash, food, cash, food, and gift cards to buy food and things online.

Checks are not good because it means they need to go to their bank to deposit the check......
Actually checks are perfect, and can be educational.
I used to give cash to my adult children in a card.
When I no longer could be around for the holidays, I mailed checks.

Amazingly the checks were not cashed by one of them for a month, so I phoned and found out she DID NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH A CHECK !!

So I had to explain to her how to take it to the bank and endorse it at the bank, now she knows more about banking.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a smaller family - 5 nieces and nephews (3 adults, 2 still in high school/middle school). The three oldest live nearby, so we're together for pretty much all holidays. The other two I don't usually see on their birthdays, but we're together for Christmas most years. All get birthday and Christmas gifts each year. Never occurred to me to stop!

Never really thought about the flip side. I have one aunt and one uncle (different sides of the family). My aunt usually sends a little Christmas gift and just an email on my birthday. I buy her a present if we're going to be together on Christmas (same with cousins), but that happens rarely. I hadn't seen or heard from my uncle in 15 years until he reached out last Christmas with a letter and a small gift, and then I saw him for dinner this fall when I was on the west coast.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:19 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Checks are not good because it means they need to go to their bank to deposit the check.
Checks can be deposited online these days.
Old 12-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Checks can be deposited online these days.
Not all checks and not at all banks. As me how we know!
Old 12-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Remember: Cash, food, and gift cards to buy food and things online.
We are still in your camp, although our kids are older and have realized that food is no substitute for more cash or a set of tires.

The nephews and nieces in our "extended family" live pretty far away and we have not sent them funds, only cards (unless DW has done that and I am not aware of it).