Join Early Retirement Today

Nieces and nephews holiday gifts
Old 12-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nieces and nephews holiday gifts

Ok, so here is the big decision of the day.

I have nine nieces and nephews. Over the past few years, I have resorted to sending them each a check for Christmas rather than one for their birthday and another for Christmas as that makes it easier for me and less likely to forget their birthdays, which I was prone to do.

I'm not at all sure if my sisters still do anything for DD or DS in terms of birthday and Christmas gifts (actually, I think that one of my sisters.. who is single... sends them checks) but what they do with my kids isn't important to me in deciding.

I'm considering continuing the Christmas check tradition for each of them until they turn 30 and then just a Christmas card. It's not the money... its just I don't see it makes sense for me to send checks to 30-40 year old nieces and nephews when I'm in my 70s.

On DW's side, she no longer gifts to her adult nieces and nephews other than token gifts (like a card and a tin of home-made chex mix or pickles or something like that) but does gift to her younger nieces and nephews and her great-nieces and nephews.

What do you do with your young adult nieces and nephews?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Ok, so here is the big decision of the day.

I have nine nieces and nephews. Over the past few years, I have resorted to sending them each a check for Christmas rather than one for their birthday and another for Christmas as that makes it easier for me and less likely to forget their birthdays, which I was prone to do.

I'm not at all sure if my sisters still do anything for DD or DS in terms of birthday and Christmas gifts (actually, I think that one of my sisters.. who is single... sends them checks) but what they do with my kids isn't important to me in deciding.

I'm considering continuing the Christmas check tradition for each of them until they turn 30 and then just a Christmas card. It's not the money... its just I don't see it make sense for me to send checks to 30-40 year old nieces and nephews when I'm in my 70s.

On DW's side, she no longer gifts to her nieces and nephews other than token gifts (like a card and a tin of home-made chex mix or pickles or something like that).

What do you do with your young adult nieces and nephews?
Birthdays and Christmas gifts until they turned 18 and graduated from high school. A nice check for a graduation gift and then nothing until the weddings/showers started. Also tried to get to every big event and holiday get together they attended and spend time talking to them personally and asking how they were doing and what was going on, offering encouragement if necessary or just plain support.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We switched to giving to great-nieces and great-nephews.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't have any nieces/nephews of that age, but my aunts/uncles sent me gifts until I was 18 and nothing since. One set still sends cards but I don't hear from the rest. Of course they all sent gifts for my wedding.

I plan to follow the same strategy with mine.
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:27 PM   #5

Answer to this is going to be so extended-family dependent...

We've never given regular gifts to nieces/nephews (13 total, ranging from 7 to 30 years old right now), even though we see them for a week nearly every year. Don't believe we ever sent birthday cards. HS graduation gift to our niece-goddaughter and, feeling guilty otherwise, a smaller one to her brother two years later. In some cases, not all, we've given investment books to niece/nephew upon college graduation; depends upon how close we are to them.

classic area for YMMV.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I just finished ALL my holiday shopping. Didn't even have to set foot outside. Did all my shopping in that place called Amazon .

to get some ideas at Amazon's search box I put is a search on "present for <fill in the blank>" and that returned some ideas.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

No nieces or nephews on my side, but many in DW's side. Typically only gave gifts to the youngsters, but may continue give some to those that stay closer to us for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I only have two nieces. No kids of my own. Both girls are in their mid-twenties. I continue to give them $40 each Christmas. Nothing for birthdays. I will likely continue to continue giving for the foreseeable future.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Sent $100 checks for birthdays and Christmas until they were 18. After that, it's just birthday and Christmas cards.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:36 PM   #10

We have 10 nieces/nephews. We stopped sending Christmas and birthday checks when they hit high school. We always sent graduation gifts or checks (high school and college). And now we send baby gifts when they have kids. That's it. Once they moved out of their parent's house, it was near impossible to keep track of current physical addresses. I think there's only 2 or 3 that we exchange Christmas cards with. We all stay in touch much more effectively on Facebook, especially for birthdays. Our gifts to each other consist of photos and goofy comments.
Old 12-14-2015, 03:46 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

We've got 8 nieces/nephews on DW's side. She still buys Christmas presents for all of them every year. On my side, there are 19 cousins (including my two kids), aged 17-38. We typically get the extended family together every year at Christmas and the cousins have a gift exchange where they buy one present for one cousin (they pull names ahead of time). They open them one by one and have a great time. We've been doing this since they were youngsters and I think they all still look forward to it. Many are getting far flung across the country, but most years they all make it back to the hometown to participate. And, now were starting to amass a pretty good size group of babies and toddlers, as the next generation arrives. So far, DW loves to buy presents for all of them.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Heck I was thinking of cutting out our DD's once they hit 30.

We don't have any nieces/nephews.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I admit to going a bit overboard on the gifts for the nieces and nephews. Yet, not having kids of our own, I know I am WAAAAAAAAY ahead of the game in terms of "kid costs"...so I am likely going to SPOIL them silly again this year. Added bonus, many of the things I buy my nephews are things I enjoy playing with too...
Old 12-14-2015, 06:07 PM   #14

My rule of thumb is until they were 18, then graduations/wedding/ and then started again with great niece/nephew who are the same age as all the rest of my niece/nephews.

During the 2008 crash, I stockpiled Mcdonalds stock. On paper each year as their Christmas present I allocate them share. They get the dividends each year as cash to spend... I keep the stocks in my fund. When they turn 18, I can then transfer the shares or cash out for college, car, etc...however, I've been hinting over and over again.. that by the time they get to be 18, they will have way more than $50/year in dividends they could get for the rest of their life..so their gift could just keep giving forever.. OR they can blow it all and then that's it..no further gifts...we shall see how that goes.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

We stopped when they were 16 or so. We have 15 or so of them (I lost count) and they all live thousands of miles away. We have little or no contact. Wedding presents are the only thing we buy now.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #16

I have been rolling them off the gift lists as they leave high school. My youngest sister still has several at home, so I indulge them long distance, but the older nieces and nephews of my other siblings are too old and likewise my kids stopped receiving gifts from their Aunts and Uncles as they aged out. As young adults, they can all buy whatever they want, and likely have a much better idea of their preferences than the older generation anyway.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:46 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I used to give presents to my seven nieces and nephews who lived near me and who I saw on a weekly basis. I stopped when they left for college. About ten years ago DW and I consulted with our siblings and stopped giving presents to each other, so now no siblings and no nephews and nieces. It had become too much of PITA - we were giving each other gift cards. Ridiculous. Now we give gifts to our kids and grandkids.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:54 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Have a nephew who is 3 (Lil' Sis's son), only see him once a year but he gets Birthday and Christmas pressies and will for many years to come!
Have a newish (got them 3.5 years ago) UK niece and nephew by marriage who are in late 20's and early 30's and they both get Birthday and Christmas pressies also as they are my wife's only ones (and I am okay with that too!).
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:09 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I have young adult children (think college students). They always want cash, food, cash, food, and gift cards to buy food and things online.

Checks are not good because it means they need to go to their bank to deposit the check.

Remember: Cash, food, and gift cards to buy food and things online.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:41 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=LOL!;1669858]I have young adult children (think college students). They always want cash, food, cash, food, and gift cards to buy food and things online.

Checks are not good because it means they need to go to their bank to deposit the check.

Remember: Cash, food, and gift cards to buy food and things online.[/QUOT

Well if they didn't want to bother to take my check to the bank, that's fine with me, it would save me money now and forever after for the particular relative.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote