Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Costco Seems to save me at least $500 a year - Last 4 years compared.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:42 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
What do they cost? Just curious if I can save $$ over walmart's parent's choice brand at $10 per "super mega" pack (60 size 5's or 80 size 3's)?
Near me, I get 140 (?) size 3s for $28. But I live in a very expensive area, so you might do better wherever you are.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2006, 12:46 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi,

We just joined Costco. You have to try the Maine Lobster Spread. $7.99 fo a decent sized tub. Great with Keebler Club Crackers. We are addicted....

Thanks for the explanation on Kirkland. Tried only one item and it was good so we'' give them a shot..

W

Old 11-14-2006, 12:49 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm probably similar to you in terms of what I buy (mostly generics if available). I have a family, but most of the perishable stuff at Sam's club still comes in quantities too large for our consumption patterns (5 lb bags of apples, 10 lb valupaks of ground beef, 3 lb bag of tortilla chips, 2 lb bags of shredded cheese, 2 1.5 lb loafs of french bread, etc). And I like to shop for everything in one place, instead of going store to store to save a few bucks.
I love the big packs of cheese and ground beef -- they can be portioned out into "meal-size" portions and then frozen. It may be a little more work on the shopping day, but I have fewer shopping days overall. (It's just me and DH, btw.) Though I rarely buy perishables at Costco -- only if I'm planning a dinner party.

As always, "it depends on your situation."
Old 11-14-2006, 12:52 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Near me, I get 140 (?) size 3s for $28. But I live in a very expensive area, so you might do better wherever you are.
I might have to check out the local costco's. We were motivated to check out Sam's after the first one was born, but found a lack of store brand diapers, wipes and formula. The store brand walmart stuff was a good bit cheaper than the name brand Pampers or Enfamil by 20-30% at least, hence we kept shopping at the walmart. I didn't realize costco had a good selection of store brand stuff!
Old 11-14-2006, 01:02 PM   #45

One of the thing that I do not like about Costco is that they are always try to sell you the more expensive membership that offers higher discounts and rebates.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggy
I love the big packs of cheese and ground beef -- they can be portioned out into "meal-size" portions and then frozen. It may be a little more work on the shopping day, but I have fewer shopping days overall. (It's just me and DH, btw.) Though I rarely buy perishables at Costco -- only if I'm planning a dinner party.
We used to do this with the sales at the regular grocery store. Our problem is "inventory management". We'd buy 15 lbs of x meat, keep 2 lbs in the fridge for immediate consumption, then freeze 13 lbs. A month later, and 5 lbs into our 13 pounds of frozen x meat, DW and I would get tired of it and decide to take a break. 3 months later we would still have 4-5 pounds of freezer burnt meat that never got eaten. Now we are down to "just in time" shopping around 1x per week. Maybe 1-2 lb of italian sausage or 1-2 lb of fresh/frozen salmon or shrimp or 1-2 lb of ground beef/pork/turkey.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:55 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Costco fosters a reputation as the Ben and Jerry's of retail. They treat their employees well and their customers well. When they buy TVs, refrigerators, et al, they look for a high quality item that they can purchase at a relative bargain (generally not the cutting-edge top tier but definitely a high quality second tier). I bought a 42" plasma HD TV at Costco a couple of years ago and got a price well below any I could find elsewhere. The also guaranteed the thing for LIFE 8). I checked that a couple of times since I couldn't believe it. I guess they figure we will be into some new type of TV and upgrade on our own before this one fails.

I think their produce, meats, cheeses, and fish are top rate. I load up on pork chops and steaks and freeze them for future use. The also have a good selection of frozen food (chicken breasts, fish fillets, shrimp, etc) that are very good values.

Kirkland's - their house brand - tends to be high quality as well. I think they look for the same upper tier 2 deal on Kirkland's items as well. I recently read a rave review of their new Kirkland's Signature wines (available only online). These are very high end products produced by top tier vineyards - and you pay for them. But the review said that you pay about 60-75% of what you would have to pay for the equivalent wine elsewhere.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:27 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

My nearest Costco is quite a distance, but it is on a route I take to visit family. As a result this household maxs the grocery sales nearby and purchase quality staples at Costco.

There is no convenient Sam's Club, and patronize Walmart only if no other options are available because I don't like their employment practices. In the couple times I have been in the store I found the quality not as good as Costco or Target.

After having been a Costco member for many years my nephew was hired in their tire shop. He has been treated very well and has received very good training.

HR was my former profession. I can see a difference in the attitude and customer service between retail employers who treat their employees well, and those that don't.

[BTW there is a Costco store manager who frequents the board (not in my nephew’s management chain). He is a great guy, and looking forward to retirement. The life of a manager in retail isn't easy, even at Costco. If he is lurking on this thread, I would like to complement you and your peers for a job well done.]
Old 11-14-2006, 03:01 PM   #49

I'll have to say the quality of service at the local sam's club is piss-poor. I never complain about anything (what good would it do? I figure). Except I did complain to Sam's management the one time I was cussed out on the phone for no reason. I wouldn't put up with their BS if the pizza wasn't so good and cheap.

This weekend I'll have to try costco pizza (if I can buy it w/o a $50 membership).
Old 11-14-2006, 03:13 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

They don't card you at the food service beyond the cash registers.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
They don't card you at the food service beyond the cash registers.
So I can walk in, tell them I want to look around, then just walk up to the food court area and buy a pizza?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #52

Quote:
So I can walk in, tell them I want to look around, then just walk up to the food court area and buy a pizza?
Yup! -
Old 11-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Love Sam's club.........I buy bulk the stuff we want to eat, I have a chest freezer in the basement and an extra frig in the garage..........works for me, I save tons..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:00 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
This kind of economy always amazes me, for most people that buy 10-15 gallons of gas they will save maybe a dollar or less. Yet they'll wait in line for 6 cars to pump gas to save that amount. What is your free time worth ?
It's like that around here....people wait 20 min or more in line and its only .03/gal less. People get completely irrational about gas.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:10 PM   #55

Gosh, suddenly I am hungry!. Good timing on this one as our Sam's club is due for renewal. We don't go much anymore anyway. Here in DC area, they usually have long lines which is a pain since I am not buying that much. Most of the relatives prefer Costco which is in an area of town that I usually avoid due to traffic. Hopefully, someone will provide some feedback on BJ's. There are a couple around here, but I've never been inside. I have two teenagers at home and one away at college........it seems like the more I buy, the more they consume, so it's better to shop more often and buy less each trip.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:09 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Costcos in our area have outdoor food courts as well, so that you have to pass by the pizza smell on your way to the entrance...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:38 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG52
Hey if you like cheese, try this. If there is one thing my old Ag school can do, it's make some cheese.

http://msucheese.com/
Edam - Out of Stock!
Vallegret - Out of Stock!

I may try the cheddar. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2006, 04:04 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

we cancelled our membership too. we spent tooooo much on extras. it wasnt a case of buying an extra bag of cookies, it was a case of cookies.

with so many extras we would blow an entire food budget in 1 trip.

we arent disciplined enough to just buy toilet paper and the specifics when we go so we are better off not going.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:08 AM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
we cancelled our membership too. we spent tooooo much on extras. it wasnt a case of buying an extra bag of cookies, it was a case of cookies.

with so many extras we would blow an entire food budget in 1 trip.

we arent disciplined enough to just buy toilet paper and the specifics when we go so we are better off not going.
Sounds like a Seinfeld episiode. I never tried it (Costco or Sam's Club).
Don't like the concept (paying to play) and as someone else posted...............in the case of Walmart I don't get how it works,
marketing/profit-wise. This has nothing to do with me saving money.
I just don't see the corp. advantage to having all of those Sam's Clubs right
next door to Walmart Supercenters. Obviously, Walmart knows more
about this than I do.

JG
Old 11-15-2006, 06:07 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

We have been Costco members for many years. I have never been disappointed with anything
I have purchased there. Most is very good quality, and like Nordstrom their customer service
is very refreshing, as they will take back most anything perishable or not.

An interesting story. I have a relative who is a bit of a "gadget guy". He bought a $500 digital
camera one year around Christmas. Now, I would not do this, but he asked the sales person
if he could bring it back in a year or so if he wanted. Hard to believe, but he was told, "no problem".

About a year later, an improved model was being sold. He had saved his original packaging, and
trotted up to the store. He told the sales person he'd like to return the camera. He was asked
why, and he said he just wanted the newer model. There was nothing wrong with his camera
and in fact he had been quite pleased with its performance over the previous year.
Without blinking, they took the original camera back, refunded his money, and he bought the
newer camera.
Now, again, I would never do this myself. And, I suspect it happens like this very rarely.
But, I think it goes to their credit as an organization to treat customers as they do.

We have a list of about 20 regular items we buy there including wines, meats, shampoo,etc.

Their treatment of their employees is "legendary" here in the Seattle area, and I suspect
nationally. I know a number of employees and they all are very happy with the wages
and benefits they receive.