Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Costco Seems to save me at least $500 a year - Last 4 years compared.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:03 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
they took the original camera back, refunded his money, and he bought the
newer camera

I wonder if they'll do the same thing for one of those big packs of toilet paper.

- Well yes this toilet paper worked pretty good. But I just want the newer ones !
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2006, 06:11 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster

I wonder if they'll do the same thing for one of those big packs of toilet paper.

- Well yes this toilet paper worked pretty good. But I just want the newer ones !
Costco is not targeting your kind of shopper!
Old 11-15-2006, 06:16 PM   #63

theoretically speaking, I could get a free computer by buying a new one, using it for six months and returning it, then repeating this process over and over?
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:19 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
theoretically speaking, I could get a free computer by buying a new one, using it for six months and returning it, then repeating this process over and over?
Yes, if you're this shameless, Costco would probably accomodate you.

- I would have trouble sleeping at night, as would most folks, if they did this. This is what Costco has probably based this plan on.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:23 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster

Well, I kinda doubt that.

I do think they have set some time limits on the returns, at least computers.
But, I don't know about the cameras. I'll have to ask the relative!
Maybe he will try it again?

You can get carried away though shopping at Costco, and if the stuff you buy
does not get used up or spoils, its not a "good" deal.

Recently they had Coho out of Alaska for $6.99 a pound which was the
same as what it was selling for at our Pike Place Market. I have a fondness for
salmon so I bought a few pounds. It was only slightly more expensive than the
"farm raised" Atlantic variety which they stock all the time.

Other things like bar soap, medicinals (Ibuprofen), certain wines, and beers,
Mikes hard lemonade (16 ouncers!), frozed veggies I thinkk are good buys.
I would think we spend somewhat less than CT, but a couple thousand a year.

And like some earlier posters, I just like the store, even if I am not buying anything.
And of course the free "lunch" is not a bad deal either. (Samples)

By the way, the hot dog/polish sausage plus drink for $1.50 was voted the
best lunch deal by one local TV station in a best of Seattle survey.
gwix98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:31 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Yes, if you're this shameless, Costco would probably accomodate you.

- I would have trouble sleeping at night, as would most folks, if they did this. This is what Costco has probably based this plan on.
I wouldn't do it, just asking!
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:11 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Umm - I wonder if they keep track of the number of returns of each member so that they can refuse it.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:31 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The member who can answer that question has been off the Board since July. Doubtless working all kinds of hours making sure you aren't all tempted to recycle electronics purchased in December next June.

In the past employees had first dibs on purchasing returned computers. I haven't seen my nephew walking around with a print-out for a while so don't know if that program still exists.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:41 PM   #69

The abuse of Costco's return policy is often a hot topic at places like fatwallet.

Example thread here.

Basically, a lot of shoppers have no qualms about sticking it to The Man. Others realize this will eventually bite them in the butt in the form of higher prices and changes in return policies.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:57 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwix98

An interesting story. I have a relative who is a bit of a "gadget guy". He bought a $500 digital
camera one year around Christmas. Now, I would not do this, but he asked the sales person
if he could bring it back in a year or so if he wanted. Hard to believe, but he was told, "no problem".

About a year later, an improved model was being sold. He had saved his original packaging, and
trotted up to the store. He told the sales person he'd like to return the camera. He was asked
why, and he said he just wanted the newer model. There was nothing wrong with his camera
and in fact he had been quite pleased with its performance over the previous year.
Without blinking, they took the original camera back, refunded his money, and he bought the
newer camera.
Now, again, I would never do this myself. And, I suspect it happens like this very rarely.
But, I think it goes to their credit as an organization to treat customers as they do.
Hmmm... so, you CHEAT... and say good customer service....

There was a store called Woolco that used to do the same thing... I used to watch as people came with weed whackers that they had used all summer, with grass and dirt hanging off it, and want to 'return' it... They did the same and took it back.... but, you don't see any Woolco's around anymore...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:49 AM   #71

We love Costco's. It's within 5 miles and we shop there about once a month. Because most of the savings are for the bulk items, we have to buy and freeze a lot of stuff; we're empty nesters, ya know. And if I go there around noon, I don't have to buy lunch. I haven't checked recently, but their gas was the cheapest in town. The prepared food items are time saving and restaurant quality. Last night, for example, we had some stuffed crabs, compliments of the club. Highly recommend it.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:42 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
The abuse of Costco's return policy is often a hot topic at places like fatwallet.

Example thread here.

Basically, a lot of shoppers have no qualms about sticking it to The Man. Others realize this will eventually bite them in the butt in the form of higher prices and changes in return policies.
Well, actually it's pretty much impossible to bite yourself in the butt by abusing return policies. Since the costs of abuse are shared by all, your share is going to be small no matter how much you abuse it.

I actually find this a fascinating ethical issue... it's pretty much a straight Tragedy of the commons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

But what fascinates me is that the type of people who tend to argue it's selfish to abuse those policies are often the people who drive SUVs which deplete everyone's environment, argue for tax policies that benefit the rich over the poor, try to keep immigrants from sharing the wealth of this country, and generally make lots of selfish ("family values") choices.

I personally have "abused" the Costco policy... while I was on vacation a camera that I had bought at Costco died. Rather than wait to send it in for repairs, I just bought a new one at a local Costco... then when I got home I sent in the non-working one for repairs and returned one to Costco. I don't feel quite right about making more frequent use of it, but I can't begrudge anyone else for doing so. If Costco as a corporation decides it's in their best interest to offer the policy then they have surely decided it's in their best interests overall. In some sense Costco corporation is banking on the goodwill that many people feel which prevents them from utilizing the return policy. That's what's so fascinating, that people feel the need to effectively make contributions to Costco corporation (by not taking advantage of the policy). I think the way that Costco pays decent wages and has friendly employees helps this... I remember years ago Fry's electronics was known for its abyssmal service, but everyone said because the store experience was so poor they had no problem abusing Fry's return policy.

free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:13 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Can we expect ethical behavior from our govt if we think it's "alright" to "abuse" their return policy? Just a matter of degree...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 09:12 PM   #74
Confused about dryer sheets

I found I get better deals on base and I already am paying my dues for the priveleges I get.
Half elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:24 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Can we expect ethical behavior from our govt if we think it's "alright" to "abuse" their return policy? Just a matter of degree...
Uh yeah... just a matter of degree indeed I could see the current administration taking this on. The obvious solution is to classify all Costco return abuse as terrorism (contributing to the delinquency of our government is after all an attack on the very things we hold dear). Lock up all the people who try to return computers after 31 days in secret prisons and let freedom ring.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:31 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Don't say that too loudly... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:27 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

I typically shop in a process, stage by stage. 1st I go to COSTCO, and buy meat, cheese, eggs, and the everyday vegetables on my list. Then I go by Sams Club, and I do well there in a few categories, mostly dry goods, canned goods and they typically have a decent drug store. My last stop is Trader Joes for wine and beer. I have enjoyed the house brands at TJ's. I figure you are better off making this circuit and cherry picking these three outfits. They each have 'category killers' in their respective areas of product specialty, and I end up doing well within the budget.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:34 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half elf
I found I get better deals on base and I already am paying my dues for the priveleges I get.
Well, COSTCO and Sam's Club are for us folks that don't hold a military ID.........

I went to a PX with a buddy of mine once..........the deals were staggering.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:26 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude

I went to a PX with a buddy of mine once..........the deals were staggering.........
Those folks earn them.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:55 AM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
Those folks earn them.
The survivors and their families who actually get to use them, anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Well, COSTCO and Sam's Club are for us folks that don't hold a military ID.........
I'm not complaining but I'd like to offer a different opinion because we're still pretty aggressive price-comparison shoppers. This particular military benefit has been steadily declining and has largely disappeared in low-cost areas.

Even 20 years ago I could buy Florida groceries more cheaply at Piggly-Wiggly than at the military commissary. Loss leaders frequently priced below the exchanges, even after including sales tax. Today in Hawaii Costco prices their gasoline at (or a penny/gallon below) the military gas price. Wal-Mart frequently costs less for some items, again even including sales (excise) tax. Both Costco & Sam's are notorious for loss-leaders (milk, fruit, meat) that beat the commissary prices. The commissary pricing is "cost plus 5%" while I'm sure that the big boxes work with lower price margins (and don't pay their employees anywhere near as well).

There are still commissary/exchange bargains. However globalization & mass production have steadily chipped away at them, and most of the "We save you 20% every day!!" advertising hype is based on full retail without the bulk purchases or membership cards.

But comparing the differences between civilian & military retail outlets misses the real point. Hawaii's deals at food co-ops & farmer's markets have consistently beaten everyone (so does growing your own). Thrift stores beat all the retail outlets. The challenges are finding reliable long-term vendors, a good selection, and being limited to only in-season produce.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote