No brainer or am I missing something?
I continue to work 1/2 time and will retire completely in October of 2010. 1/2 time income is about 48k. Spouse is fully retired and will be 62 in 2 months. I will be 62 in June. I am drawing from after tax cash to supplement income. Question is, should we wait to apply for spouse SSec (about 1K per month) until my income ends? Or should we take hers now and draw less from after tax account? I assume her SS would be taxed more heavily when combined with my income the next 18 months. Is the "no brainer" to wait until my income ends because of tax consequences? FYI our philosophy is to draw SS asap. Not too great a gene pool in the families!