Join Early Retirement Today

no cd's what to do
Old 05-28-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

no cd's what to do

I have 500k in a savings account at 1.4 percent. I have another bunch of cd's coming due early 2014. I have always been a cd kind of person, but with the rates the way they are, I am being forced into funds or equities. I have no history with these instruments. I have read that a lot of you are happy with franklin income fund or vanguard income fund. If it were you, where would you be looking in today's market for the safest investment with the best income? thanks

frank
frank is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No easy answer. Here is a recent discussion where some are moving from bonds to CD's for safety. If you are moving to equities and bonds, you are taking on more risk. But it all depends on your time horizon. Do you have the personality to ride out the volatility associated with equities and bond funds?

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...cds-66601.html
Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I have always been a cd kind of person, but with the rates the way they are, I am being forced into funds or equities.
Frank, You might think twice about changing your asset allocation to chase returns (at increased risk). Have you looked at TreasuryDirect? You can buy TIPS (inflation protected government bonds). There is no safer place for your money, and protected against inflation. Buy them at auction and hold them to maturity and you've locked in an inflation protected return, which sounds a lot like what "a cd kind of person" would want.
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #4

In this environment, 1.4% on a savings account isn't bad at all. That is better than many short term bond funds. Is this FDIC covered, you exceed the coverage limits if this is all in one account.

Franklin typically charges a front end load on its funds, I wouldn't do that. Many income funds today are just common stock funds, Franklin income is mostly dividend paying common stock. You can buy those yourself and save the expenses.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd stick with your CD strategy. To me, bailing because current rates are low is no different than scrapping an equity strategy when the market tanks. Both instances represent attempts to time the market and not a strategy at all. Just keep laddering CD's and when/if rates rise, you'll have money coming due to take advantage of the higher rates. Sure, it sucks to lock up money for 5 years at around 1.8% but if rates do rise, other alternatives could easily lose money over that time period.
enjoyinglife102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Frank, I would seriously heed to the advise of the above. Any time these words are coming from you;"forced into the market" and "no experience",I would be very hesitant to change course. Until you have a total well rounded investment strategy/plan with an understanding of what you are trying to accomplish.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Any time these words are coming from you;"forced into the market" and "no experience",I would be very hesitant to change course. Until you have a total well rounded investment strategy/plan with an understanding of what you are trying to accomplish.

+1
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
gone traveling

brokered cd's could be an option
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #9

the bank says that the amount is covered by fdic if me and my wife's name are both on the account is that true?
frank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:36 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

True: you have $250K FDIC coverage per person.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
the bank says that the amount is covered by fdic if me and my wife's name are both on the account is that true?
Yes, for a joint account it is $250k per co-owner.

FDIC: Deposit Insurance Summary
Old 05-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

But do you have savings and checking accounts with that same bank or just the CDs?

IOW, if you have $500k in joint CDs that would be covered but if you had $25k in savings/checking at the same financial institution you would be $25k over the limit.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #13

If you are 30, dip into some Vanguard funds like Wellsey. If you are over 50 and have never experienced market ups and downs, stick with your CD's.

But you do know the risk that your returns are not keeping up with inflation right??
Old 05-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
But do you have savings and checking accounts with that same bank or just the CDs?

IOW, if you have $500k in joint CDs that would be covered but if you had $25k in savings/checking at the same financial institution you would be $25k over the limit.
The $250K coverage is per person, per account. The $25K in checking you are talking about would be covered also.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

frank, to verify what everyone is telling you about FDIC coverage you can plug your numbers into this FDIC calculator: https://www2.fdic.gov/edie/index.html
Old 05-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
The $250K coverage is per person, per account. The $25K in checking you are talking about would be covered also.
The standard insurance amount is $250,000 per depositor, per insured bank, for each account ownership category.

You would be over the joint account limit if it is all at the same bank.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
The standard insurance amount is $250,000 per depositor, per insured bank, for each account ownership category.

You would be over the joint account limit if it is all at the same bank.
I'm thinking that if I have a IRA CD at a bank for $250K and also have another CD for $50K each account would be covered. Am I wrong?
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #18

Quote:
I'm thinking that if I have a IRA CD at a bank for $250K and also have another CD for $50K each account would be covered. Am I wrong?
No that's correct as I understand it ( as always qualified I might be wrong ). Maybe I read your first post wrong but for a joint account the max insurance is 500K for each institution for any combination of accounts ( checking, savings, CDs etc ). If the OP already has 500k in one bank then the limit has been reached for that bank.

Another post linked the calculator on the FDIC site which can be used to check this.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

For our non-stock investments we have a mix of TIPS bought at auction, I bonds, CDs, a floating rate fund, money markets, a "high" yield checking account, stable value funds in the the 401Ks, and an international bond fund.

I'm moving the money market funds to short term CDs for small yields and the FDIC insurance.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not true. If they had $500k in jointly owned CDs and $25k in a joint checking account, they would be $25k over the FDIC coverage limits.

If the checking account was for him (or her) rather than joint then they would be covered.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote