Join Early Retirement Today

No Christmas gift from Penfed?
Old 12-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

No Christmas gift from Penfed?

It was one year ago today (Dec 1) when Sue J posted Penfed's offer of 5yr CDs with a rate of 3%: New at PenFed - 3% 5yr certificates

Doesn't appear they will offer anything close to that again - at least not yet:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Penfed CD Rates.JPG (22.6 KB, 14 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Penfed Santa is on vacation this year.

Closest thing on 5 year , I have been bombarded with ads from cit bank for 5 yr 2.3% cd's

Old 12-01-2014, 02:00 PM   #3

At least those of us with 5 year, 3% CDs from last year can continue to enjoy that 'deal'. I was just reviewing my statements from Pen Fed yesterday and am so happy I got in on the 3%. It's all thanks to the thread posted here last year, so Thank You to Sue J!

There could still be an offer we will just have to wait and see.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Many thanks for the post last year, I heard about it from another reader of this forum/board and jumped on it with both feet. I found another deal talked about here that I think is still available, a 5% 1 year CD from Navy. I dumped the max $5K there in Sep. I recently have been looking for a place to get my CD for this year, but the Navy says you can only have one of them.

Still looking for a reasonable deal. I may just sit on it in my Fido account till I find something. 1.2% ? you would think this is 1 April or something.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #5

The 5 year rate went DOWN half a percent since I checked yesterday.

Not sure which is more disappointing, these rates or the lousy Black Friday deals this year....

On the other hand, their conforming 30 year fixed mortgage rate is 3.625 percent with 1 percent origination and no discount points.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Jumping on those 10-year, 5% CDs from Penfed 4 years ago sure felt like a risky bet at the time, but so far it has paid off. My CD ladder is still paying a bit over 4% with only 4.5 years to maturity on average.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

More's the pity - that was a NavyFed September special. Currently they offer a one year 3% $3000 maximum certificate. per call to them just now.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, disappointed here as I have cash to add to my ladder. Not sure what alternatives I should look into. I have enough exposure to the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-01-2014, 06:41 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post

On the other hand, their conforming 30 year fixed mortgage rate is 3.625 percent with 1 percent origination and no discount points.
I've been watching this rate for awhile. My current 30 year fixed is 4.25 and I want to refinance if it keeps dropping, but not sure it's worth it to refinance for less than a 1% drop in the rate.