Join Early Retirement Today

No-Load MF Investor Newsletter
Old 02-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

No-Load MF Investor Newsletter

Good, bad or indifferent?
mac5725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
Administrator

Yes
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Agree !
Old 02-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

+1
Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

LOL I think I see where THIS one is going...
afntrn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by afntrn56 View Post
LOL I think I see where THIS one is going...
nowhere unless someone points to some links that show statistics of the effectiveness (or the opposite) of these newsletters. John C. Bogle says that to beware of MF newsletter in his book "Bogle on Mutual Finds".
Old 02-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #7

Never heard of it. You don't need a newsletter unless you will be "trading" MF's, which might be OK with ETF's, but MF's?

Morningstar.com provides lots of free info to get started, and you can pay for their premium service if you want more analysis.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
Never heard of it. You don't need a newsletter unless you will be "trading" MF's, which might be OK with ETF's, but MF's?

Morningstar.com provides lots of free info to get started, and you can pay for their premium service if you want more analysis.

Lets make sure we're talking about the same thing. Here 's a link to the site. The No-Load Fund Investor, Welcome
mac5725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
After 3 posts, is that the best you can do?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

$199 for 12 issues a year, but apparently highly regarded. No opinion on it.

I believe most people who invest in mutual funds (like me ) don't actively trade in them--they pick the funds they feel meet their requirements and asset allocation, and let the fund manager do the trading of the holdings within the fund. So using Morningstar as mentioned above or other sites to scope out a fund's profile, etc., would meet most people's needs.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #11

My father subscribed to it for several years back in the 80s, but I don't know if it influenced his investment choices.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac5725 View Post
Lets make sure we're talking about the same thing. Here 's a link to the site. The No-Load Fund Investor, Welcome
You might want to check Mark Hulbert's ranking of newsletters:
The No-Load Fund Investor, Welcome

It looks like Hulbert found six other newsletters that did better over the long term. But I can't tell you whether any of them were worth the price, or whether they'd beat out a cheap index fund.

Active investing adds the drag of higher expense ratios and short-term capital gains taxes, and newsletters are notoriously lax about comparing after-tax returns to a passive diversified portfolio.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #13

Read it for years, primarily for the model portfolios constructed by Sheldon Jacobs. Jacobs had a very good reputation for following true no load funds and creating model portfolios for three types of investors.

This newsletter is now published by Mark Salzinger who also manages money privately.

It is unclear to me that the portfolio recommendations are independent of Salzinger's private money management business. The timing models are interesting, but I find the portfolios to be a bit too aggressive.