Join Early Retirement Today

No Medicare Coverage
Old 03-27-2017, 12:52 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

No Medicare Coverage

Has anyone reached the age of 65 and retired without Medicare coverage? I know someone will be in that situation and never paid into the SS/Medicare system and; therefore, will not qualify for either. They won't be covered by work related healthcare either. If you're in that situation, how have you managed?
PERSonalTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 01:41 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes I know of two people in this situation. One was a 50-ish lady, single mother and self employed artist. She never filed a tax return in her life, but kept up her looks. She married herself out of the situation.

Another guy and his wife immigrated to the U.S. not long enough to get SS and no retirement from their home country. Also apparently preferred to live large rather than save. Recently told me he and his wife will have to work until they die.... but that they "like" their work.

Life is certainly a crazy balancing act, enjoying the present while saving for the unknown future. Makes me realize how lucky I am.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:58 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

IIRC, if 65 + but did not qualify , you can buy into medicare, but it's quite expensive. ACA policy should cost less.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERSonalTime View Post
Has anyone reached the age of 65 and retired without Medicare coverage? I know someone will be in that situation and never paid into the SS/Medicare system and; therefore, will not qualify for either. They won't be covered by work related healthcare either. If you're in that situation, how have you managed?
My FIL never had Medicare coverage even though for many years he paid into SS/Medicare system. As I understand it when he turned 65 he never signed up for Medicare, hence, never started paying the monthly premiums. I assume he never signed up for it as he is a veteran and felt he could always get his health care for free thru the VA. Yes, he has always been really cheap, sometimes to his detriment.

When he finally figured out that Medicare would have been the smart way to go, he would have been required to pay huge monthly premiums to make up for the number of years he did not pay premiums. Of course by then it was no longer an option because he could not afford the cost. Over the years he neglected his health because it is a long distance to the nearest VA clinic and even further to the nearest VA hospital. My opinion is the care/service he received from the VA was inferior to what he would have received locally using Medicare.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #5

While I will qualify for medicare in 2 years, I do not plan to use it. I live overseas and can buy a policy here that will give me far better care then I could recieve in the US with the exception of about 100 or so hospitals scattered around the USA.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
While I will qualify for medicare in 2 years, I do not plan to use it. I live overseas and can buy a policy here that will give me far better care then I could recieve in the US with the exception of about 100 or so hospitals scattered around the USA.

Unless I was 1000% I was never, ever coming back to US, I think I'd look for the cheapest Medicare solution to preserve the option to return to US.

But that's me: a belt and suspenders kind of guy...
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
But that's me: a belt and suspenders kind of guy...
Why would one need both?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I think it's still pay for Medicare B. Just in case. It's not that expensive.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Why would one need both?

Take you pick for an answer:

A. God laughs while man makes plans

or

B. Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #10

I should have been more clear, I will keep medicare A and B (pay for B), but I doubt I will use it. Likewise, I will keep my private policy in force down here, even if I move to the USA for a few years (as is our plan). If you do not keep it in force after age 65 (you lose it forever) and the premiums are capped at age 70 until you die.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:53 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I once did business with a gentleman that operated his business as SubCHapter S. And he was unprofitable for many, many years--not paying any income taxes.

When he turned retirement age, he closed the business and applied for Social Security. Needless to say he didn't pay into the system and he didn't get much of anything out of it. Might be the say way for Medicare.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
My FIL never had Medicare coverage even though for many years he paid into SS/Medicare system. As I understand it when he turned 65 he never signed up for Medicare, hence, never started paying the monthly premiums. I assume he never signed up for it as he is a veteran and felt he could always get his health care for free thru the VA. Yes, he has always been really cheap, sometimes to his detriment.

When he finally figured out that Medicare would have been the smart way to go, he would have been required to pay huge monthly premiums to make up for the number of years he did not pay premiums. Of course by then it was no longer an option because he could not afford the cost. Over the years he neglected his health because it is a long distance to the nearest VA clinic and even further to the nearest VA hospital. My opinion is the care/service he received from the VA was inferior to what he would have received locally using Medicare.
Wow!
Old 03-27-2017, 04:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I think it's still pay for Medicare B. Just in case. It's not that expensive.
Very much agree!! Cheap insurance
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:10 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I once did business with a gentleman that operated his business as SubCHapter S. And he was unprofitable for many, many years--not paying any income taxes.

When he turned retirement age, he closed the business and applied for Social Security. Needless to say he didn't pay into the system and he didn't get much of anything out of it. Might be the say way for Medicare.
DW has a friend who is in a similar position... she has continually worked in numerous low wage jobs... often under the table and paid little in income taxes or SS tax (she has paid some since some of her jobs have been W-2 above the table).

I don't think she has any clue how screwed she will be when she is in her 60s and beyond. Sad.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

40 quarters (10 years) paying FICA and you're eligible for Medicare. Or you're eligible through your spouse or ex-spouse (10 years married) if they meet that work requirement.

I don't think it matters how little you earned as long as you paid some in Medicare during each of 40 quarters.