Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post

For those that do their own color, what brand do you use? Have you seen a difference in the color from when you do it versus when a salon does it? Often salons say "be careful, it may turn orange on you". I suppose that is the fear factor, huh? That and having to spend the money to "correct it".
I colored my hair a few times . The color always came out too dark except one time when it came out Luci Ball orange just as I was leaving on vacation . I spent the whole vacation wearing hats .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Have yet to have my hair colored in a salon. I just can't get past the thought of how awful other women look in the salon, reading a magazine, with their short hair sticking up in aluminum foil packets and the dark brown paste around the edges of their faces.

I don't want to subject my super-curly bobbed hair to harsh chemicals which would strip what shine it possesses (curly hair tends not to have much gloss), so I use a demi-permanent brown dye marketed to African American women. It washes out pretty quickly and I have to apply it fairly often, but it does add body and shine, as others have noted. My barber says it is causing a "greenish" tinge at the ends of my hair, but I myself cannot see this and anyway I'm paying her to cut off those ends.

Oh, I forgot to mention the brand. Dark 'n Lovely Reviving Colors, Ebone Brown.

Amethyst

Quote:
It gives mine body too! I would still have someone cut it as mine has a couple of layers since I feel a straight bob makes me look older. However, I would love to color my own as I get annoyed every time at the cost for just "pulling color thru". I also find more and more I dislike spending the time to do it.

More often than not, when I return home and when it seems a bit dark for me (I'm a medium blonde) I get my handy highlight kit from the drugstore and do my own highlights.

For those that do their own color, what brand do you use? Have you seen a difference in the color from when you do it versus when a salon does it? Often salons say "be careful, it may turn orange on you". I suppose that is the fear factor, huh? That and having to spend the money to "correct it".

Old 10-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I like going to a barber.
Yeah, me too.

I like walking in and not even having to say "I'll have the regular" - they already know that.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I would stop coloring my hair but the color gives it body .Plus how do you make it through the growing out stage ?
My hair has plenty of body, fortunately. As for making it through the growing out stage, I'm retired and I don't give two hoots what people think.

I am getting regular short haircuts and I think the colour will be gone within another three months. If I absolutely hate it, I might try colouring it myself.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
....For those that do their own color, what brand do you use? Have you seen a difference in the color from when you do it versus when a salon does it? Often salons say "be careful, it may turn orange on you". I suppose that is the fear factor, huh? That and having to spend the money to "correct it".
I grew up with my mom's haircuts, my friends' efforts, and my own until I was in my midtwenties, as long straight hair doesn't really need much expertise to trim. More recently, I used to have my hair colored and cut in a salon ($69) until DH re'd. I liked it--it was like a mini retreat and the salon staff were hilarious in their interactions and so unlike the people I typically run into (and vice versa for me with them, times 100, of course). Just such a different environment for me, never having been a girly-girl. Don't get me started on how much fun it was watching the deliberation people put into choosing a nail polish color! People-watching at its best on so many levels. More importantly, my thick wavy hair looked and felt awesome with the industrial strength conditioning it got every six weeks.

I told "my" now-former stylist that I was going to be on a fixed income and she told me what coloring product to use--l'oreal #6, natural light brown. So that's what I use. The color stays true, no orangeyness, no fading. $7 at Target.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #46

Quote:

My hair is naturally dark brown. I use Revlon Soft Black hairdye. The browns do tend to fade to auburn (which is actually nice, but doesn't look so great with my olive skin). I've used a couple of brands and never saw a difference (except for the time I tried the Auburn Feria brand ... oh my ... definitely NOT a natural color !).
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I told "my" now-former stylist that I was going to be on a fixed income and she told me what coloring product to use--l'oreal #6, natural light brown. So that's what I use. The color stays true, no orangeyness, no fading. $7 at Target.
I get the Revlon on sale for $3, so I guess the L'Oreal at a whole $7 is a much better product ! As they say, you get what you pay for. Maybe I'll upgrade next time !
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I colored my hair a few times . The color always came out too dark except one time when it came out Luci Ball orange just as I was leaving on vacation . I spent the whole vacation wearing hats .
That would happen to me if I did it. I just know it! Darn. This is what keeps me from trying it myself.

I do use leave in rinse that one can use after shampooing to help hide the growing out grey around temples, etc. in an effort to prolong the color before having to to back to the salon.
Old 10-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Mine has avoided answering that question. I've posed it to her many times. Wonder why? Duh.

I think I will try harder next time!
Old 10-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

When I was sitting in a salon chair getting my hair cut once a beauty product rep came in and told my stylist she won some trip for selling the most of their produsts. So I guess all those times I was told not to use shampoo and conditioner from Costco or Trader Joe's were really more about her trip than my hair. I used to kind of wonder if I was delusional thinking my hair looked shiny and healthy as it was despite my cheapo shampoo and conditioner, but her pushing the salon products made more sense when I heard about the trip.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I used to get my hair done at a salon associated with a chain of hair product stores, and they always included a product to take home. I do believe that some of these professional hair products are better than the generics, at least for hair that has been coloured. The products that hairdressers sell at the salon are marked up. If you like a product, note the name and shop for it at a hair product store. They usually have larger sizes at a discount.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #52

I have my wife cut my hair, simple clipper cut, #6 all over. Then she trims the back and over my ears without the guard. No way ever will I dye my hair, it is now more grey then brown. If it falls out or turns grey, that is how it will be. No combovers, no plugs, no coloring, and best of all no hassles!

Saves a lot of money doing it at home vs paying to get it done. Just wish i could get my wife to get off the hairstylist cut and coloring routine.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
For those that give themselves short buzz cuts do you have any tips? I know that my barber uses a #2 guard but other than that I'm clueless.
There are some easy videos on YouTube!
#2 gaurd on a Wahl trimmer is all that is required for my head ever since USAF in 1988!
Used to have a barber do it but then wife decided she wanted to about a year ago, since I don't care either way we bought an inexpensive Wahl set that appears to be very nice and she does it every two weeks....and she loves doing it!
Happy Wife, Happy Life!
Old 10-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

When I was a young boy about 13 or so, my father used to give me $0.75 and send me (I hitchhiked) to a barber shop ran by some big burly Russian guys. The haircut was $0.50 and if I moved in the chair, the barber would scowl at me and make me sit still. But for the $0.25 extra dad gave me, I got to spend it on whatever I wanted.

When I was in college in living in Southbury, Connecticut, I used to get my haircut by a pair of brothers that ran the Oxford, Connecticut Post Office, a one room affair with two barber chairs in a back room. Convenient for getting stamps, etc.

Since being married (this time), DW cuts my hair as she was a hairdresser long before she met me. She treats me like the Russian barbers did, but no extra money afterwards. First wife scalped me, but she was not a barber.

Thia is all true....I did not make this stuff up.

BTW, even at this age, I still have a full head of hair (but not light brown anymore)!
Old 10-20-2014, 05:18 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since my hair is thinning on top (well, actually it pretty much left) I only have the sides to consider. I can trim around my ears and shave the back of my neck myself but I do go to the military barber for $8 about every 6-8 months for a treat. He likes to talk with his customers so he spends a lot of time and gives a shoulder massage when he is finished cutting my hair.

Cheers!
Old 10-20-2014, 07:10 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a member of the underground Flowbee movement. A regular mens haircut is too easy to pay someone else to do it. I figure it is just another skill to learn.

I read Flobee sells about 90K units a year and has not advertised since about 1990. All word of mouth.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbidness View Post
I'm a member of the underground Flowbee movement. A regular mens haircut is too easy to pay someone else to do it. I figure it is just another skill to learn.

I read Flobee sells about 90K units a year and has not advertised since about 1990. All word of mouth.
I did not have any luck with the Flowbee. What length do you cut your hair? Maybe that has something to do with it.
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
When I was a young boy about 13 or so, my father used to give me $0.75 and send me (I hitchhiked) to a barber shop ran by some big burly Russian guys. The haircut was $0.50 and if I moved in the chair, the barber would scowl at me and make me sit still. But for the $0.25 extra dad gave me, I got to spend it on whatever I wanted. ...
When I was 13, one day my father decided to try his new electric clipper on me. After a minute or two, he gave me some money and said I should go to a barber to have him finish the job.

Oh, the barber tried hard, but as he could not glue the hair back, there was only so much he could do. My friends at school made fun of me the next day, but I shrugged it off. The truth was that I was so nerdy, I did not even bother to look in the mirror to see how my hair looked in the back. But the look of my older sister's face told me that it had to be really bad. If I recalled correctly, my mother felt sorry for me too.

But after that one time, my father never tried his clipper again.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I used to get my hair done at a salon associated with a chain of hair product stores, and they always included a product to take home. I do believe that some of these professional hair products are better than the generics, at least for hair that has been coloured. The products that hairdressers sell at the salon are marked up. If you like a product, note the name and shop for it at a hair product store. They usually have larger sizes at a discount.

I've been going to the same stylist since I moved here. First mom, now daughter. Started dying about 3 years ago when I felt old and grey. Originally dark brown, so it was easy. It feels as relaxing as a massage, so I consider it a treat to myself. I buy a couple of products there too, not a lot. She owns her own business, is sole proprietor, and works hard to have enough income so her 16 year old can get CHIP insurance rather than Medicaid. I can afford it, so why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #60

Nope. I have a regular appt with the same person who has cut my hair for 30 years. She is slightly younger than me so I don't expect her to retire in the near future.