Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, maybe one convert so far in W2R... What I said is true, honest.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
If I might make a suggestion: When you go into the car dealership make a point to get one of the top two salespeople. They have probably been there longest and can work more "magic" for you in getting you the price you want and the deal you are looking for.
You can find out who they are by asking the receptionist probably or even the sales manager. Top salespeople are happy to make a commission off you or off the auto maker, so they don't care just so long as you purchase from them.
Actually, in many cases the top salespeople are simply the BEST salespeople, and make more money off customers than other salespeople......

Quote:
Remember that salespeople who are pros and been in the business awhile WANT your REPEAT business as it is easier to re-sell someone you have already sold. Nobody is going to go back to the guy they feel cheated them or didn't give them all they felt was due to them are they? This is why I say go to one of the top salespeople wherever you are as they will do more for you overall. I do this with anything of value I purchase.
I'll agree with that......

Quote:
This is pretty basic, and I hope I'm not offending anyone; but, you would be surprised how many people aren't aware of how sales teams work and automatically assume every sales person is out to screw them. This fear really puts you at a disadvantage because you go in there with fear and really don't assess the situation like you would if you were more relaxed. You don't have a clear head, in other words.
Some of the WORST salespersons I know are in the auto business. They are untrained and unmotivated to a large extent. Maybe that will change in the future with less dealerships and less demand. Most dealerships have a couple excellent salespersons and the rest are average to below average..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I don't know how car dealers stay in business. Ten minutes on Craigslist, even on Oahu, would offer us half a dozen affordable used vehicles that I'd be perfectly happy owning.
The ones who survive have very busy parts, service, and body shop areas............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Best car deal we ever made was on a very busy Saturday with a salesperson who was no longer employed there a week later--he came way down in price on a new Accord and gave us almost what we had paid for our two-year-old trade-in. We couldn't believe it, and we are terrible negotiators, so the deal was not from anything we did. I am sure the top salesperson would have gotten a lot more of our money.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

How about "How to Get Better Customer Service by being Assertive".
Old 02-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #46

You got it, chinaco! To me, nothing gets accomplished by acting like an a@@hole...except people hate your guts.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:25 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Best car deal we ever made was on a very busy Saturday with a salesperson who was no longer employed there a week later--he came way down in price on a new Accord and gave us almost what we had paid for our two-year-old trade-in. We couldn't believe it, and we are terrible negotiators, so the deal was not from anything we did. I am sure the top salesperson would have gotten a lot more of our money.
I second going for the soon-to-depart salesperson I was amazed at a salesperson who agreed to all my terms for a new car order. I even remember him handing me the contract and letting me write whatever I wanted in it. He collected his commission and was long gone by the time I got my car and the deal passed scrutiny.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I hope we're all smart enough not to be ass holes to the waiter/waitress, dentist, doctor, mechanic.....
Old 02-19-2010, 10:18 PM   #49

Not exactly on topic ....BUT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I hope we're all smart enough not to be ass holes to the waiter/waitress, dentist, doctor, mechanic.....
I won't be an AH to lower paid people on your list. I expect my doctor, dentist and (to some degree, my mechanic) to act like professionals and not expect a gratuity for doing what I pay them to do.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:30 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I won't be an AH to lower paid people on your list. I expect my doctor, dentist and (to some degree, my mechanic) to act like professionals and not expect a gratuity for doing what I pay them to do.
I only mentioned those people because they're in a position to hurt you....
Old 02-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I only mentioned those people because they're in a position to hurt you....
And they have a fiduciary duty not to..
Old 02-19-2010, 10:56 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
And they have a fiduciary duty not to..
I guess they do but I still knew mechanics who cut and stripped things on purpose and waiters who spit in food.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
As soon as I can get a better price at a One-Price Dealer than I can get from a haggler, I will buy from him. I think theses One-Price shops serve a good purpose for people for whom haggling is so unpleasant that they would rather give up money than haggle, but not for others.

I actually enjoy the process. I like salesmen and women, and it doesn't stress me to play the games that they like. Where else in life do we get to guiltlessly feign all sorts of emotions that we don't feel, make exaggerated gestures, lie freely, and then get paid for it? Other than becoming a salesman or lawyer?

Ha
Ha,

Bein' as how you live in the Greater Seattle Area, this may be of some use to you.

We bought two vehicles at the Enterprise used car lot on Aurora. One price, no haggling. We shopped two states for a Prizm and found exactly what we wanted at the best price there. We also bought a minvan there and were again very happy (bought the FACTORY warranty, which paid for itself when the tranny died).

Having said that, I found the Enterprise used car offers in Canada completely unacceptable (but used-car prices in Canadistan are beyond belief--NEW car prices are also beyond belief).
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #54

(but used-car prices in Canadistan are beyond belief--NEW car prices are also beyond belief).[/QUOTE]

What should we believe?

Can the new car price have to do with the car companies not recognizing the C$/US$ exchange rate? Can the used car price be proportional to the new price? Can Canadians not go south to get a reasonable deal?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:51 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

I am dealing with a purchase not nearly as expensive as a car... a toy I purchased for my grandson's birthday. His parents wanted a specific item so I went on Amazon and found one vendor who offered the product new in a new box. When it arrived the box had the wear of a display item and the batteries were shot.

I immediately wrote the seller to tell them how disappointed I was with the product - that is wasn't in gift condition. As it turned out the product worked so there was no way I could disappoint my grandson.

After no response I wrote the seller a second time, again complaining about what they sent as it wasn't in 'new' condition and that I had taken pictures. Bad me I didn't tell them what I expected as a remedy.

The seller wrote back saying that photos meant nothing, that I could have substutued the item, then offered 15% rebate ($10) on the condition that I post no feedback. The implication that I would lie made me mad. At this point the greater value may be sharing my experiance in feedback.

What would you do?
Old 02-20-2010, 04:51 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
What would you do?
See the OP. Then, I would take it up with Amazon... they are the ones with the most to lose. This particular vendor hasn't yet figured out how valuable reputation (brand name, if you will) is in this age of easy data exchange. Therefore, negotiations are just going to go further south unless you get a strong partner to step forward on your behalf -- Amazon has more to lose from (or because of) you than from any vendor.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:12 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

When I started this thread, I was thinking more along the lines of this form of aggressive behavior:

I Got Verizon To Fix My Internet With An Executive E-Mail Carpet Bomb - The Consumerist
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
The seller wrote back saying that photos meant nothing, that I could have substutued the item, then offered 15% rebate ($10) on the condition that I post no feedback. The implication that I would lie made me mad. At this point the greater value may be sharing my experiance in feedback.

What would you do?
If you had not already given the gift to your grandson, I would contact Amazon. I have never complained to Amazon and not had them give me a refund. They just snatch it back from the sellers bank account. I also sell on Amazon, and am aware that I must pack well, describe well, get it out on time etc or they will grab the payment back from my account, or just grab it before it is deposited.

As to this seller, you might consider just sharing his nasty little message with the Amazon world. I think you have 200 words in which to do so.

Ha
Old 02-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #59

Agreed that this kind of a*hole behavior advocated by the author is terribly unpleasant to be around. But it goes beyond just creating a hostile environment for everyone else nearby.
Quote:
Crazy? It's beyond crazy. But would you ever cross a person that flips out on someone for touching their newspaper?
See the New York Times today for some additional background on Dr Amy Bishop Amy Bishop, Professor Arrested in Shooting, Was Prone to Volatile Reactions, Colleagues Say - NYTimes.com

Among other things:
Quote:
Over the years, Dr. Bishop had shown evidence that the smallest of slights could set off a disproportionate and occasionally violent reaction, according to numerous interviews with colleagues and others who know her. Her life seemed to veer wildly between moments of cold fury and scientific brilliance, between rage at perceived slights and empathy for her students.
This reminds me of the stories of ex-employees "going postal" and other rage fueled craziness. Someone who can display this kind of hostility to others is a real danger.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:10 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Can you imagine what life must have been like for her husband and children??