Non-deductible IRA money for Roth conversion

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Next year will be the first that we can start doing Roth Conversion.

I am rolling over TIRAs (rollover IRAs) to ex-employer 401K (which they allow). I will have one non-deductible IRA remaining, which I contributed in early 2000's. I never got around doing back door Roth. The contribution amount totaled: $16000. I have saved Form 8606 to show the contribution base. Today's value: $28000.

If I convert this account to Roth, I assume that income recognized is the difference: $12000 and pay tax on using my cash account. I am trying to control income level for ACA subsidy. The original $16000 can be converted without tax or recognized as income. Am I correct?

Yes, I believe you are correct. Have you asked the 401K folks if you can also roll in the untaxed earnings from your non-deductible contributions. Some will accept all untaxed amounts but they cannot accept basis........the non-deductible contributions. If you can do that, your taxes will be 0 to minimal.

I think you're both correct. Take a look at Form 8606 and its instructions.

One thing to note is that the form somewhere wants to know if you have any pre-tax traditional IRAs as of the end of the calendar year. So it would be safest to accomplish the traditional IRA -> 401(k) rollover by 12/31/19 and then do the non-deductible IRA -> Roth conversion after the new year. Other ways may also work. It sounds like that's what you're doing and want to do anyway, just thought I'd point it out.

Back
Top Bottom