Nords is on Yahoo!

Actually, saving/investing half your gross income from your very first job does work no matter what your income. Most people don't want to sacrifice to do that. Even someone who makes $40K, could live on $20K with kids. In the US there are folks who live on $20K with kids.

It's still a lot easier for someone like Nords or me who have high incomes and good benefits to save half of our income and retire early. If the yahoo piece was about someone earning $40k and retiring early I would have been impressed

The problem with any video where you don't have editorial control is that you usually give the wrong impression during some aspects. We were interviewed about retiring in Puerto Vallarta. While what we said was all true, it was what we had not said that really made a difference in our retirement.

But the interviewer has their own agenda always.

Having said that, I liked the video and I think Nords did a good job about promoting a way of life and the importance of setting goals early on. Of course, we know the whole story so it is easier to relate. But my takeaway if that ER is possible with the right planning. It takes a bit of luck but cannot be achieved without a plan and some discipline too.

+1

Reading the comments section on almost any internet article makes it difficult to maintain a positive attitude towards humanity.

Right. But - Waaaay to go Nords! :greetings10:

heh heh heh - I made less (started earlier) but finally got there. All praise to time in the market and Bogle's Folly. LBYM and save/invest steadily and regularly.

Just like Nord's pointed out -aka blindly simple is sometimes not seen. :D

Nords is on the front page of Yahoo! He's on video. It was interesting reading a lot of the comments. Lots of sour grapes out there! Good for you Nords. Congrats!
1700+ comments so far... I was about 50 of them (explaining that we did raise a daughter). There are also comments from a few military retirees and entrepreneurs who agreed with the techniques.

Lots of new readers on the blog, and that's the best part.

But the interviewer has their own agenda always.

Having said that, I liked the video and I think Nords did a good job about promoting a way of life and the importance of setting goals early on. Of course, we know the whole story so it is easier to relate. But my takeaway if that ER is possible with the right planning. It takes a bit of luck but cannot be achieved without a plan and some discipline too.
Thanks! I'm just happy they (eventually) spelled my name right.

Thousands of those new readers who trooped over to the blog worked through the "Start here!" post and went on to the "How many years does it take?" post? They're learning.

Right. But - Waaaay to go Nords! :greetings10:
Thanks, Unclemick!

Actually, saving/investing half your gross income from your very first job does work no matter what your income. Most people don't want to sacrifice to do that. Even someone who makes $40K, could live on $20K with kids. In the US there are folks who live on $20K with kids.

How true, a former co-w*rker and husband can't get by on over 200k a year. Always doing hardship withdrawls from profit sharing, 401k loans etc....

Congratulations Nords on executing a great plan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

+1

Reading the comments section on almost any internet article makes it difficult to maintain a positive attitude towards humanity.

OMG - reading Facebook comments on anything controversial! A few years ago these blowhards didn't have any audience except their poor coworkers, families and the guys at the bar. Now they can post anonymously to the world and it can be very very ugly!

I enjoyed the interview. Thank you.

DW and I followed a similar path; only 1 expensive vacation (a cruise) in 35 years of marriage, put our kids thru private college, have a very modest house, never bought a "new" car - just new for us (low milage used). Everything to outfit the kids when they were small bought at garage sales. Most of our clothes bought at discount stores. Learned how to do all repairs and maintenance myself (generating a library of embarrassing and amusing stories along the way). We even had used dogs and they worked out great.

Low and behold a waitress and a sales guy with modest incomes have "overnight" saved and invested enough to retire at 59 - at the end of this year!

I did read many of the comments on the interview, though I generally have a no comment reading policy. The cognitive depravity of the general public always comes leaking through and it scares me. It did this time too. Blaming everybody else for your troubles apparently is an effective balm for soothing the I-might-have-paid- better-attention-along-the-way oozing sore on your psyche.

Also, have you ever noticed that the angrier posters can never seem to postulate a coherent thought or string together an intelligible sentence? I worry about our capability for nuanced discourse.

I enjoyed the interview. Thank you.

DW and I followed a similar path; only 1 expensive vacation (a cruise) in 35 years of marriage, put our kids thru private college, have a very modest house, never bought a "new" car - just new for us (low milage used). Everything to outfit the kids when they were small bought at garage sales. Most of our clothes bought at discount stores. Learned how to do all repairs and maintenance myself (generating a library of embarrassing and amusing stories along the way). We even had used dogs and they worked out great.

Low and behold a waitress and a sales guy with modest incomes have "overnight" saved and invested enough to retire at 59 - at the end of this year!
I'm pretty sure that lots of posters here have reached FI on less money than my spouse and me. If that's the case, and if you're seeking humongous traffic for your blog, then let me know and I'll connect you with Jaime Tardy or Yahoo.

Books sales for military-friendly charities is my motive for doing this interview, but I understand if you'd rather avoid reading 1700+ comments of your own...

Dang, I found out Nords is a year younger than I!
Great job Nords!
Thanks-- and if it's any consolation, I'll be 54 years old in October!

Back
Top Bottom