Normally I don't ask for advice but

If we keep talking charts, cycles, and stuff like that, isn't it getting more like DMT talk? How long until someone starts mentioning head and shoulders and breakouts, etc...? I dunno.
When cycles last 16-18 years, a DMT has to be very, very patient. I don't know of anyone who would sell in 2000 and wait until 2016/2017 to get back in. On the other hand, the TA folks I know are evaluating moves in a few months or less and are usually ready to turn on a dime.

In a long-ago post, I said that I aspired to be a CMT. That is someone who tries to look at economic developments, business cycles, fiscal policies, demographics, etc... to see if the market is more likely to go up or down. Even using fundamentals is still a quixotic task because the market is not really rational and may stay over or undervalued for a long time.

What I have found is that if I buy something based on a fundamental belief, I would have an easier time to wait for the good news to come and its price to rise. I would not have that patience if I keep watching for a shoulder or a head.

Just teasing in the above post, and not saying anyone here is a chartist...

Interesting chart that shows we are actually in a relatively strong recovery.

Judging solely by the stock market, that is. ;)

How long until someone starts mentioning head and shoulders and breakouts, etc...? I dunno.
Maybe we need to change the subject to skin hygiene?

I don't know of anyone who would sell in 2000 and wait until 2016/2017 to get back in. On the other hand, the TA folks I know are evaluating moves in a few months or less and are usually ready to turn on a dime.
H0cu$. If he's to be believed (not always a good idea) then he went 100% cash in 1996 and has been waiting ever since for equity valuations to revert. Any day now...

H0cu$. If he's to be believed (not always a good idea) then he went 100% cash in 1996 and has been waiting ever since for equity valuations to revert. Any day now...

I hate to ask, but out of morbid curiosity has there been a recent sighting?

No, no, no. no, no! Can't we talk about anything more comfortable like politics, religion, paying off the mortgage, defaulting on a mortage, working another year or when to take SS?

Man, you really have been logging the road time. Haven't you heard the news or seen the press releases? The national tour is stopping in your town next month!

Speakers

Scroll down to the seventh entry, the one after Andrea Amir.

I have my ticket, but I plan to maintain a wide separation scheme. Better move fast, there's only 14 tickets left...

audreyh1 said:
When cycles last 16-18 years, a DMT has to be very, very patient. I don't know of anyone who would sell in 2000 and wait until 2016/2017 to get back in. On the other hand, the TA folks I know are evaluating moves in a few months or less and are usually ready to turn on a dime.
My TA folks are mostly of that sort. But there are a fair amount who look at long signals such as 200 day moving average and others to find periods to move some of their holdings to cash.

In a period of very low interest and yield, if you leave the market for long, you might miss dividends. If you sit with cash and subtract inflation, there's a lot of ground to make up.

The OP is not really looking at TA. Initially I thought he was, but his desired move is to shift a large portion to something else.

Man, you really have been logging the road time. Haven't you heard the news or seen the press releases? The national tour is stopping in your town next month!

Speakers

Scroll down to the seventh entry, the one after Andrea Amir.

I have my ticket, but I plan to maintain a wide separation scheme. Better move fast, there's only 14 tickets left...

Holy crap! The line of dupes just keeps getting longer, I guess. Amazing that he was not rejected out of hand by the organizers.

I pay very little attention to the blogging "industry." Anything I write is chiefly to scratch an unfulfilled analytical itch or to amuse myself. If I had the time or a related business that would benefit from more active efforts I would go that way, but for the moment I just don't havethe time and energy.

...long signals such as 200 day moving average...
I guess that's perceived as "long" in an environment where people expect to be able to swap stocks in microseconds.

Imagine holding shares for decades.

Holy crap! The line of dupes just keeps getting longer, I guess. Amazing that he was not rejected out of hand by the organizers.
It's a cycle of dawning awareness for every person that runs across him, although the cycle goes a lot faster when the true behavior surfaces. I remember waaaaaay back when CuteFuzzyBunny thought we were being too hard on the long-winded newbie with the humorous five-letter name.

I've heard second-hand that the conference organizer has been made well aware of the issues by several people. The organizer believes everything he's been told, and he has safeguards in place. In my case I'm not even going to enter a room that H0cu$ occupies, if possible. I plan to walk briskly in the other direction if necessary, and to have hotel security on speed-dial.

I pay very little attention to the blogging "industry." Anything I write is chiefly to scratch an unfulfilled analytical itch or to amuse myself. If I had the time or a related business that would benefit from more active efforts I would go that way, but for the moment I just don't have the time and energy.
If you could build the blog into an advertising machine that nets $10K-$30K/year of revenue, would you be more inclined to make the time and find the energy? Would that amount of income boost your ER budget over the gap? Would it be worth breaking the chronic cycle of overemployment that you might find yourself mired in for the next few years? Those are not easy questions to answer, especially if the next few years are needed to vest in an employer's pension plan.

I've spent two years researching the blogging industry and learning from the successful entrepreneurs. After you dig past all the SEO and traffic-boosting hype, you learn that the top requirement for a successful blog is good content. You're there. Now it's "just" marketing. It ain't easy, and it can consume 10-20 hours/week for that income, but it's straightforward.

Back
Top Bottom