Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
The biggest thing you can do to protect yourself is to not run your windows PC with administrator rights.
I have repeatedly told relatives about that and their eyes glaze over. Dunno why, they are (with a couple of exceptions) otherwise intelligent people.

Geez, it's not that hard to set up an account for each family member.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For the glazed over eyed group like myself, this link might help.

How to Check for Administrator Rights
Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use Microsoft Security Essentials on Win7 and Microsoft Defender on Win8. They aren't the strongest protection, but they're plenty strong, and unlike Norton and McAfee (especially) they aren't system resource hogs, nor are the overly invasive with regard to allowing me to do the things I actually do want to do.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Many viruses and malware that exploit vulnerabilities that give them admin rights, negating any advantage to the user not having them in the first place
Patching Java, Reader, Flash all require admin rights. When I set up a persons computer I set it up with admin rights.
What I started doing a few years ago when building or selling a computer is I install this
Backup software for data backup and disaster recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis
I make backups before it ever leaves my place. If the computer gets infected I explain to the customer to make sure they back up all their important things daily so when I run the image they can just put it back quick. No need to spend hours trying to remove a virus, rootkit or a nasty Trojan. oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
Symantec bought Peter Norton Computing in 1990. While the company has phased out the Peter Norton name in a number of its products, it still pays $.01 for every product sold with the Norton name on it. You have helped Peter with a tune of about 10 cents if you have used it for 10 years. I wish I could market my name like that. Its all about how a product is advertised. I could tell you to save your money and of course you would not listen to me and continue spending that $50. That's just the way life works. oldtrig
Actually, I heard they don't anymore...
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Norton is generally ineffective against the Kramden virus, so multiple layers of protection are advisable.

Ya, I was expecting Ed too.
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #27

Does doing a system restore, to some previous non-infected state, remove viruses?
Peter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

It might restore the system. But it might not. Some malware creates a restore point after the system is infected.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #29

Funny, several folks gave good review for MS Security Essentials, but the one time in last 8 years that I had to rebuild a computer, it was the one running MSE. Had been using AVG free for years but recently went to AVAST. AVG, when updating, brought my computer to its knees for about 5 minutes.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Does doing a system restore, to some previous non-infected state, remove viruses?
Depends where it is. If it has infected systems files it will probably fix it but sometimes they damage the restore points as well. If the virus is hiding in personal user files then it would not fix it.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I've spent $0 on security software in decades of computing.

I'm not saying Macs are invulnerable, just that while viruses and malware are technically possible, there haven't been widespread attacks, like there have been on Windows.
I ran a network of 1500-2000 DOS/Windows 3.1/NT4/XP PCs for 18 years and we never spent a cent on anti-virus software. It doesn't work and the threat is vastly operhyped by anti-virus manufacturers, especially compared to the more mundane threats posed by systematic hard drive failure (ask anyone who knows why Fujitsu withdrew from the HD business) or underpaid outsourced network management people taking revenge on their boss/customer by trashing every PC on the network (it can be done with a single command line statement).

Sure, we had the occasional virus/trojan, but our homebrew remedies caught them and we never lost any serious data in all that time. (An exception was one of the early-2000s worms that exploited a Windows bug and no A/V software could stop. We recovered quicker than most, precisely because we were set up to handle unexpected security issues.)
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I too use Microsoft Security Essentials + Malwarebytes (the purchased edition which regularly updates and tests for viruses). Once there was a Trojan a few months ago that Malwarebytes caught and quarantined.

I've been running under administrator for years on Windows 7 without any real issue. Is this really a security problem or is it just a feeling others have that it is unwise? Switching over to an administrator account user and going back to run as a non-admin user sounds like a hassle.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #33

Yes it is a problem

Critical Control 12: Controlled Use of Administrative Privileges

There is no reason to be running as an admin unless you need to admin something. Use the "Run As" if you need to temporarily upgrade your rights. It's one of many design flaws with windows to even allow this.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Symantec bought Peter Norton Computing in 1990. While the company has phased out the Peter Norton name in a number of its products, it still pays $.01 for every product sold with the Norton name on it. You have helped Peter with a tune of about 10 cents if you have used it for 10 years. I wish I could market my name like that. Its all about how a product is advertised. I could tell you to save your money and of course you would not listen to me and continue spending that $50. That's just the way life works. oldtrig
oldtrig are you saying "save your money" so that I won't help Peter Norton or because you don't believe the products are effective? I ask because I'm very interested in relatively cheap (Norton), effective (?) security software. I'm NOT particularly interested in whether Peter Norton gets a penny whenever I buy a Norton product.

I would indeed listen to any advice since I'm a complete dolt when it comes to computers. I've used Mac and PCs and prefer the Mac, but I went Mac because it was supposedly less vulnerable to security issues. Everything I've read suggests using virus protection - just because. Norton has at least some reputation for being valuable. Whether that's earned is something I don't know.

I would never PROMISE to take someone's advice, but I would certainly listen to those who know more than I. Naturally, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Yes it is a problem

Critical Control 12: Controlled Use of Administrative Privileges

There is no reason to be running as an admin unless you need to admin something. Use the "Run As" if you need to temporarily upgrade your rights. It's one of many design flaws with windows to even allow this.
What I have right now is one user (call it Lsbcal) set up as admin and I do all my work and have all my files in that user account. Another non-admin user account is for my DW. I suppose I could (1) create another account which has admin privileges and then (2) switch my current Lsbcal user account to not have admin privileges.

Then in the Lsbcal account I could use the "run as administrator" command (by right clicking in Windows 7 machine on an icon) to do some admin stuff without leaving my non-admin user account. I am probably beating this to death with such a detailed description but does this sound correct?
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #36

Koolau, I only give advice from past experience. Like I said I have been doing computer work for 16 years so I know a little about what goes on. Save your money and download one of the free programs. I have tried them all. One year one seems better and the next the other one. My personal vote goes to Avira first and Microsoft second right now. I've just found both to be more consistent in my own experience. I would highly suggest buying the pro version of malwarebytes. I bought a person this software from newegg this week for $19.95 (lifetime version)
Newegg.com - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Lifetime
I can tell you it will block a bad website as it runs in the background. It updates automatically and runs a scan at certain times during the day. You can change that to run when you want it to. With Avira or Microsoft free and malwarebytes pro you should be well protected. Do not run more than one antivirus on a computer though.
Avira Antivirus for private users | Antivirus Software Comparison
scroll down to you see the green box that says download now. Just make sure you get the free. If you do not want to try this then Microsoft's version will work but again I urge you to buy the malwarebytes lifetime version. I have worked on computers with Norton that had many infections just like any other paid version. Why pay for something when these companies supply it free and it is just as good as long as you run the malwarebytes along with it. If you want to try the Microsoft software the go here
Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

I am only trying to save you money. Go to some of these malware forums and read if you do not believe me.
Am I infected? What do I do? - BleepingComputer.com is one of many I belong to and have for years.

Save that $50 and put some gas in your car. oldtrig
Old 02-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

I wish I had known about Microsoft Security Essentials before renewing my McAfee subscription last month! Thanks for the tip.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Koolau, I only give advice from past experience. Like I said I have been doing computer work for 16 years so I know a little about what goes on. Save your money and download one of the free programs. I have tried them all. One year one seems better and the next the other one. My personal vote goes to Avira first and Microsoft second right now. I've just found both to be more consistent in my own experience. I would highly suggest buying the pro version of malwarebytes. I bought a person this software from newegg this week for $19.95 (lifetime version)
Good tips. I have been using the free version of Malwarebytes along with Avast and have been pleased. I run scans once a week with Mal and twice a week with Avast. But for just $19.95, might as well upgrade for the additional security.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #39

It should be against the law for the major computer companies to install the 90 day version of McAfee, Norton and a few more. Sometimes it is very hard just to remove one and that makes people just renew them. What a dirty trick.

I guess I could pay Dell or maybe HP enough money to install software I write and trick people into using it. All you have to do is make it next to impossible for the everyday user to remove and you have them. Heck, I have had customers give their credit card to buy one of these trojans to where they can continue using the computer. A scam is what they are and there are many out there. They look like the real thing and when a computer boots they tell you your computer is infected with thousands of viruses. A SCAM. I tell them these scammers just want their credit card numbers to begin with.

Most come from other countries and find their way into home computers. Some are next to impossible to remove. The FBI trojan is one I have seen in the last few months. Just be careful what you click on and watch for fake alerts. If you see one of these scam programs all of sudden start scanning your PC then just push the power button until your PC goes off. Most of the time they are only in memory and will some will be gone when computer reboots. If not you are in trouble. Did your Norton stop these most of the time NO. OLDTRIG
Old 02-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #40
Administrator

Quote:
It should be against the law for the major computer companies to install the 90 day version of McAfee, Norton and a few more. Sometimes it is very hard just to remove one and that makes people just renew them. What a dirty trick.

OLDTRIG
+1

You can thank Microsoft for inventing the pre-install of unwanted SW. Also for designing the operating system that lets other programs install stuff on your computer without your knowledge.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote