Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
It should be against the law for the major computer companies to install the 90 day version of McAfee, Norton and a few more.
I believe some of the companies will agree to that if you pay them more.

The commercial marketplace is structured deliberately to foster commerce, facilitate profits, etc., unfortunately not to kowtow to what's best for consumers. Even consumer protection, itself, is not something that everyone buys into to the same extent. If you really want something your way, you often do have to pay a lot more than how it is offered to the mass market.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

When I set up a new computer like Dell or HP that comes pre-loaded with all the bloatware I use this
Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems
Just read the page good and make sure you download the free version only. I then used the advanced method when removing software. That way it leaves nothing in the system registry. Norton also used to have a tool to completely remove the software
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/..._en_us?src=nrt
Again the best tool out today is a good image program. I have a 1 terabyte backup drive , also I have my hard drive partitioned and have images on it. Never can tell which drive might go bad first. I make an image about once a month. I use Acronis. On older computers I use Norton Ghost. That way if I happen to get infected it takes only a few minutes to get it removed. I have only had a few viruses in the years I have used a computer. I just watch where I surf. I also use Open DNS which will stop your computer from ever entering a bad site if you set the security setting high enough. I have mine set high because I have grandchildren who visit with their laptops. I used the Open DNS setting in the router. oldtrig

Old 02-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Again the best tool out today is a good image program. I have a 1 terabyte backup drive , also I have my hard drive partitioned and have images on it....
I agree and do something similar with Clonezilla, an open source (free) alternative to Ghost, etc. I have been using Clonezilla on PC's running both Windows and Unix flavors for years with no issues/complaints. I have an old laptop used for trying out questionable software; after playing a bit, it is quite easy to restore to original state.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Depends how it was installed. But yes, in general MS finally wised up and disabled the admin account. The reason they disabled it is most malware knows that the majority of admin accounts don't even have passwords. That creates some other issues as sometimes you need to login in as admin to work on something. For most you can use the "Run as" command to do something with administrator rights. But YOUR account may have admin rights when it was setup ( you need this for instance when you install new software).

If you run with admin rights, even if you have antivirus software, it's the same as having an alarm system but leaving your front door wide open.

I normally enable the admin account and use a good password. Create a standard user account with just normal user rights, Use that for normal everyday usage. You only need to switch to admin when installing/repairing something.
In further checking I've found that I was indeed running as administrator. I set up a new standard account and now all my customized settings are gone. Also, I had previously set Chrome as my default browser and now, under the standard account, the computer acts as if Chrome has not even been downloaded and installed. Any way to copy all the user defined settings from the Admin acct to the new Std account?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
In further checking I've found that I was indeed running as administrator. I set up a new standard account and now all my customized settings are gone. Also, I had previously set Chrome as my default browser and now, under the standard account, the computer acts as if Chrome has not even been downloaded and installed. Any way to copy all the user defined settings from the Admin acct to the new Std account?
Could you just do this:
1) go to the Admin account and give the Std account admin privileges, now we'll call it Admin2
2) Then go to the Admin2 and take away the admin privileges from Admin, we'll call it Std2

Now do your standard stuff in Std2. That's what I was wondering about doing in my previous post. Does this work?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Could you just do this:
1) go to the Admin account and give the Std account admin privileges, now we'll call it Admin2
2) Then go to the Admin2 and take away the admin privileges from Admin, we'll call it Std2

Now do your standard stuff in Std2. That's what I was wondering about doing in my previous post. Does this work?
After you, sir!
Old 02-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #47

Also using Acronis - incrementals every night and a full backup on Sunday.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
After you, sir!
And here I thought I had a guinea pig.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #49

"Ya, I was expecting Ed too."

Get the bag Norton, we're rich
Old 02-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #50

On my current PC, the one I have had for one year (Windows 7), I have Microsoft Security Essentials which has saved me a few times from catching a pest. I also run Malwarebytes (free edition) and Spybot S&D every so often. On my previous PC, one I used when I was working from home 10 years ago, I had Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition (a requirement for working from home; my office gave it to me for free).

I also had, briefly, Webroot, for free as part of my ISP. It, along with Spybot, got rid of a lot of spyware which had attacked my old PC 9 years ago.

A friend of mine had many attacks from spyware over the years and I had to get rid of them. They often disabled his anti-spyware programs so to get them to run I had to reboot into Safe Mode just to do a System Restore to an earlier point. Then I was able to run the aforementioned anti-spyware programs and together they got rid of the pests. It usually took multiple scans over a few hours to finally get rid of all the bad stuff.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I have people all the time ask me how do I keep getting infected with trojans, Rootkits and viruses on their computers.
On Windows machines, some malware comes from drive-by downloads. You visit a website, you get infected by a piece of script that triggers a buffer overflow that allows the malware to install. All done in a few seconds. Most of these drive by downloads could all be avoided if people would listen and install Open DNS. It would never let you get to that bad website to start with. Most people pay me no attention and of course I keep on taking their money repairing those infected computers. I only tell them where I will have time to play more golf .lol

If you keep your system fully patched, you are almost assured you will not be that victim. Meaning update all your software like Java, Adobe and flash players.

If you make a mistake and type the incorrect web address you can be had quick. Also when searching using a search engine like google pay close attention on how long this site has been uploaded. I have seen some that my webroot tells me is a safe site and then I look closer and it shows that site was uploaded 10 minutes ago. Thats the one you have to watch out for.

The number of drive-by installations is small. So how does the majority of malware get on a PC. Most attacks today succeed by convincing the victim to do the actual work meaning the person using the PC thinks the warning is legit. Tip of the day
Old 02-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...(snip)...
If you keep your system fully patched, you are almost assured you will not be that victim. Meaning update all your software like Java, Adobe and flash players.
I run Secunia PSI at least once every 2 weeks to check that all programs are up to date. It's free and will do auto-updating.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #53

Quote:
Koolau, I only give advice from past experience. Like I said I have been doing computer work for 16 years so I know a little about what goes on. Save your money and download one of the free programs. I have tried them all. One year one seems better and the next the other one. My personal vote goes to Avira first and Microsoft second right now. I've just found both to be more consistent in my own experience. I would highly suggest buying the pro version of malwarebytes. I bought a person this software from newegg this week for $19.95 (lifetime version)
Newegg.com - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Lifetime
I can tell you it will block a bad website as it runs in the background. It updates automatically and runs a scan at certain times during the day. You can change that to run when you want it to. With Avira or Microsoft free and malwarebytes pro you should be well protected. Do not run more than one antivirus on a computer though.
Avira Antivirus for private users | Antivirus Software Comparison
scroll down to you see the green box that says download now. Just make sure you get the free. If you do not want to try this then Microsoft's version will work but again I urge you to buy the malwarebytes lifetime version. I have worked on computers with Norton that had many infections just like any other paid version. Why pay for something when these companies supply it free and it is just as good as long as you run the malwarebytes along with it. If you want to try the Microsoft software the go here
Microsoft Security Essentials - Microsoft Windows

I am only trying to save you money. Go to some of these malware forums and read if you do not believe me.
Am I infected? What do I do? - BleepingComputer.com is one of many I belong to and have for years.

Save that $50 and put some gas in your car. oldtrig
oldtrig, thanks for the advice. I will definitely look into it - not so much for the $50 but to get what works for others. As mentioned, I have Mac, so not sure what all translates. I'm assuming the websites will say what/where/when/who, etc.

Thanks for your patience with us dinosaurs, luddites and flat-earth folks.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Koolau, you are welcome. I only try to help people keep their PC's safe. I am always testing things. I use spare hard drives sometimes to try and get infected so I know how to remove the bad things. If I use OpenDns and set the security setting to the highest it will not even go to a bad site. I have the DNS setting set in my router. You will love it and no, I do not work for opendns.

I challenge anyone here to try it and come back and tell me what you think? If you have small ones at home that surf the internet then by all means install it. Read more here. Buy it if that what it takes. $19.95 is a steal to protect those children.
OpenDNS - Parental Controls

The internet is full of many bad sites that young minds have no business viewing.

Good call Lsbcal. I have also used that and installed it on many PC's. It also free and we all like things that cost nothing.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
oldtrig, thanks for the advice. I will definitely look into it - not so much for the $50 but to get what works for others. As mentioned, I have Mac, so not sure what all translates. I'm assuming the websites will say what/where/when/who, etc.

Thanks for your patience with us dinosaurs, luddites and flat-earth folks.
Koolau,
Since you have Mac OS X, the PC advice has limited application. I actually run no AV software on Mac OS X. If you have $50 to spare each year, I'd say continue with your approach for piece of mind.

There are several free AV apps for Mac. But of course you might have to watch some popup ads every once in a while.

On my client's PC's I use paid AVG. On my own PC's I use free Avast. Over the years I've found that the larger paid suites (Norton, McAfee, AVG) have larger footprint, and significantly affect performance. And they are not 100% effective.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #56

Quote:
OpenDNS for Homes and Families
The free version works fine.
While I do use AVG, OpenDNS looks like a much more effective, and additional, layer of protection. Thank you for the link and all of the information you have provided in this thread. I have been working in IT for over 25 years yet was not aware of these folks.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #57

You can create an account at OpenDNS, and in that way you can access statistics they maintain for you, and allow blocking of additional stuff. Or you can just enter their DNS into your router, or perhaps just one device to see what it's about.

OpenDNS nameservers from OpenDNS.com are:
Old 02-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Koolau,
Since you have Mac OS X, the PC advice has limited application. I actually run no AV software on Mac OS X. If you have $50 to spare each year, I'd say continue with your approach for piece of mind.

There are several free AV apps for Mac. But of course you might have to watch some popup ads every once in a while.

On my client's PC's I use paid AVG. On my own PC's I use free Avast. Over the years I've found that the larger paid suites (Norton, McAfee, AVG) have larger footprint, and significantly affect performance. And they are not 100% effective.
On my Mac, I don't use anything. As an IT consultant, I suggest AVG or Windows Security Essentials for most cases, plus Malwarebytes in all cases.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

You welcome Coolchange. We can all learn from one another. Thats the great part of this forum. I know this is off topic a little but I got to tell what happened to me yesterday.

Like I had mentioned I have been working on computers for many years but sometimes we all get stumped. Well yesterday I had an older HP running windows XP home. It would freeze when booting and never get past the windows logo. I remember this happening a few other times so I removed the CMOS battery and tested it with my meter. It showed 2.1 volts.

I headed to walmart to get a battery and was back in no time with the new one installed. Of course as long a time as I had the battery out I lost the date and time so I just reset that all in the system BIOS. No problem now, the computer booted fine and runs like new money.

One problem, when I would use internet explorer 8 and go to most any website I would get a security error ( the yellow bar at the top of the webpage) I could click the bar and it would continue on but I knew something was not right. I also tried to get windows updates and would get an error.

I know this computer was working last month perfect because I removed several trojan from it. Everything I read and tried failed. I would still get this on a yellow bar at top of page ( to help protect your security, internet explorer has blocked this website from displaying content with security errors. Click here for options) I reset IE several times, same error. Now, I got to thinking. If it was working before then it had to be something I did.

It was. I set the date and time to 2-2-2012 instead of 2-2 2013. That little mistake cost me several hours of work. I even posted in a forum I belong to and nobody could figure out the problem. I tried just about everything. I was just about ready to reformat. I am sure glad I waited. Who would ever thought that little year change would have caused this but yep, it will. I should have known something like that was the problem when I could not get windows updates but I just plain overlooked it. When the time is incorrect your browser will see most security certificates as outdated, thus the warning. Live and learn. oldtrig
Old 02-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

oldtrig, do you recommend any particular browser over another for safety and speed? I realize you need virus and malware protection with any system, but just wondered if one is better than the other as a starting point. Google Chrome seems to run a little faster for me.

Sorry if you have already addressed this.