Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2008, 12:04 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
My question until receiving these dividends, was, how much of these dips correspond to a drop in dividends, and how much to a drop in share price?
You can find a distribution history here:

VWINX: Historical Prices for VANGUARD WELLESLEY INCOME FUND - Yahoo! Finance

Since Wellesley is mostly bonds, the distributions are primarily a function of the coupons on the bonds they hold, not on the economic effects on stock dividends. I summed up all of the distributions in a spreadsheet at one point, and the distribution from the fund is pretty erratic. It actually peaked back in 1997.

The dividends from the stock component should be pretty steady, except in periods of extreme economic stress (see my graph).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2008, 12:12 AM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
You can find a distribution history here:

VWINX: Historical Prices for VANGUARD WELLESLEY INCOME FUND - Yahoo! Finance

Since Wellesley is mostly bonds, the distributions are primarily a function of the coupons on the bonds they hold, not on the economic effects on stock dividends. I summed up all of the distributions in a spreadsheet at one point, and the distribution from the fund is pretty erratic. It actually peaked back in 1997.

The dividends from the stock component should be pretty steady, except in periods of extreme economic stress (see my graph).
That's nice to know. Thanks for the cool link. I wonder why it shows a September 27, 2006 dividend of $0.00 immediately after a September 22, 2006 dividend of $0.23? Odd.

Going to bed. Have fun...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:43 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The "dividends" shown on Yahoo include all distributions, including ST and LT capital gains, so you really should look here to get the breakdown:

Wellesley Distributions

What Vanguard calls a "dividend", includes stock dividends and bond interest (but not cap gains). Your 1099 form will indicate what portion of the dividend is qualified for the 15% rate.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:39 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by figner View Post
If a company goes under and S&P replaces it in the index with another company, does the price and yield of the index reflect the loss taken on the gone-under company?
Thanks for the replies - while searching around for the answer after I posted the above, I ran across this description of how the S&P indices are calculated. Most of the examples use the S&P 500:

http://www2.standardandpoors.com/spf...dology_Web.pdf

To summarize, the answer to my question is "yes," as some of you already posted, but I like to look at references.

twaddle, I agree it's more likely a company will be dropped before it goes BK, so I guess I'm really more interested in how any loss/replacement is reflected in the index.