Join Early Retirement Today

Not a market timer but!!??
Old 12-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Not a market timer but!!??

I have never purposely timed the market in anticipation of major market swings. That strategy has served me well. With FIRE on the near horizon and a growing number of "experts" predicting an major and sustained correction I am questioning the wisdom. what do you all think??

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

IMHO there are always "experts" predicting market movements in one way or another. Look at bond prices since 2010 when all the "experts" said they had nowhere to go but down. I keep my AA within an appropriate range and the rest of the time be just plain lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Old 12-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After selling everything at a super low a few years ago, waiting out the run up in the market, and then buying back in early this year just in time to make bupkis - I'd say the odds of a major and sustained correction are pretty good.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah we can always find "an expert" or two predicting a crash or a major ally on any given day. A small majority of the prognostications I have read over the last 6 months are pretty gloomy. It was much easier to take those with a grain of salt when RE was a long ways off.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When working I always wanted a long and deep drop in the market so I could get everything on sale.

Now I'd prefer it to always rise a bit, but I'll keep some cash or bonds so that if there is a deep drop, I can buy groceries or re-allocate.

That's the plan.....
Old 12-29-2015, 02:05 PM   #6

The market wil go up, down, or sideways. If you pull out, you are likely to be 33% correct.

Over the long term, the S&P will be the best investment out there. Of course, it may be different this time...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Unless the expert if filthy rich and long retired, they have no credibility, by default.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-29-2015, 02:29 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think you should choose an asset allocation that makes sense for your time horizon and ignore the "experts."
Old 12-29-2015, 02:37 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger View Post
. With FIRE on the near horizon and a growing number of "experts" predicting an major and sustained correction I am questioning the wisdom. what do you all think??
I think you need to question the wisdom of the "experts". This link shows they are lousy at accurately predicting the market so what makes you think they are right this time?

Stock Market Guru Grades - CXO Advisory

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

My current AA is pretty average for someone approaching 60 at 55/45 equities to bonds. After doing well by trusting AA for the past 30 years or so one would think I would feel more secure staying this way indefinitely. Even though my numbers are reasonably well padded the thought of a major sustained downturn after the paychecks from w*rk stop coming gives me the cold sweats. Didn't understand this feeling completely until very recently even though I have heard it expressed in many other threads.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:48 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Now when is the low again? I want to mark my calendar in preparation?
Old 12-29-2015, 04:26 PM   #12

I guess by now you've read/heard that managed funds don't beat the market 95% of the time. Aren't they run by those same experts? I just get too tired trying yo time the market.

Your thinking too much- so if you get out will a bell gong when it is time to get in? I've yet to hear one.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:34 PM   #13

If you haven't read it, read this book.

A Random Walk Down Wall Street: The Time-Tested Strategy for Successful Investing (Eleventh Edition): Burton G. Malkiel: 9780393352245: Amazon.com: Books
Old 12-29-2015, 04:36 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger View Post
My current AA is pretty average for someone approaching 60 at 55/45 equities to bonds. After doing well by trusting AA for the past 30 years or so one would think I would feel more secure staying this way indefinitely. Even though my numbers are reasonably well padded the thought of a major sustained downturn after the paychecks from w*rk stop coming gives me the cold sweats. Didn't understand this feeling completely until very recently even though I have heard it expressed in many other threads.
Wanting to permanently change your asset allocation to something more conservative as one nears retirement, is not like market timing really. Maybe you need a more conservative AA in order to not get cold sweats when thinking of a market turndown. Some here have 50/50, and then some really chicken-hearted members like me settle on 45/55 (equities/fixed) in retirement.

A 2-5 year cash buffer can be calming during a market turndown as well, although these are not so popular right now due to relatively low interest rates.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:44 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all of the perspectives.There is so much experience and wisdom shared on this forum. I appreciate it more and more over time. Hopefully my perspectives will help others down the line as I learn and experience more.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:46 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't consider myself a market timer but I also always have an exit strategy. I did move to all cash during the 2008 downturn because my 15% trigger I put in place was hit. The 10-12% pullbacks are not panic mode, they are just ways to buy some cheap stock... Its the 15+% pullback that one needs to keep an eye on and take action on in my opinion... however, you need to have gotten to the 15% pullback before one should ever really take action on it in my opinion... else its just basic pullback and stay the status quo... but that means you need to be ok with losing 15% as else your just playing a game that I don't think can be won... ie I don't expect to know the top or bottom, but I know when we are too far from the top or bottom to be comfortable.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:26 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
...I know when we are too far from the top or bottom...
How? Are you willing to share the metric you use to measure this?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
I don't consider myself a market timer but I also always have an exit strategy. I did move to all cash during the 2008 downturn because my 15% trigger I put in place was hit. The 10-12% pullbacks are not panic mode, they are just ways to buy some cheap stock... Its the 15+% pullback that one needs to keep an eye on and take action on in my opinion... however, you need to have gotten to the 15% pullback before one should ever really take action on it in my opinion... else its just basic pullback and stay the status quo... but that means you need to be ok with losing 15% as else your just playing a game that I don't think can be won... ie I don't expect to know the top or bottom, but I know when we are too far from the top or bottom to be comfortable.
Great, how do you know exactly when/how to buy back in? I stayed in throughout the meltdown and just kept DCA'ing new $ in and reached new portfolio highs in a few years, but I assume you did better.

Ever back tested your IP?

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:08 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

1966 - 2006. Hit some pullbacks, missed more than few. Read a lot of books. Watched Mr Market a lot.

Luckily always had some in balanced index funds which after 40 yrs turned out to be the big dog on the porch.

2006 went pretty much full auto - Vanguard Target Retirement.

heh heh heh - ok ok male hormones and all - have few good stocks(less than 2%) and would like Michigan State to upset Alabama and Carolina the Pats BUT it's is just football. Right?

After 22 years of ER trying to chill a little.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
... Some here have 50/50, and then some really chicken-hearted members like me settle on 45/55 (equities/fixed) in retirement...
Does it make that much difference?

From Oct 2007 to Mar 2009, the S&P dropped more than 55% (down to 45 cents on the dollar), while BND (VG total bond index) was roughly flat. A 50/50 portfolio would be down to 72.5 cents on the dollar, while the 45/55 portfolio was 75.3 cents.