Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #61
Dryer sheet aficionado

As W2R and others have recommended now is not the time to make a stock/bond/cash allocation decision or a retirement date decision. The markets are rattled, you're worried, and in the short run, the investment climate looks bad. The markets will settle down. No one knows when, but 500 -600 point per day drops will pass.

When things calm down think about a stock/bond/cash allocation that you'll be comfortable with. Review your January 2017 retirement goal one year from now. A lot will likely change.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I retired 4 years ago in Oct 2011 just as the S&P 500 dipped into -20% bear market territory. The US had just lost its AAA rating. I would be lying if I told you I wasn't nervous. But I had committed to retirement and there was no turning back. As it turned out, the market then was undergoing a much needed correction and was preparing for a long period of increases. Let's hope this time is similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Old 08-26-2015, 06:25 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
I was nervous. I went shopping. In Home Depot I saw A Chinese man spend money.

I feel better now.

That is hilarious ...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:35 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore View Post
As W2R and others have recommended now is not the time to make a stock/bond/cash allocation decision or a retirement date decision. The markets are rattled, you're worried, and in the short run, the investment climate looks bad. The markets will settle down. No one knows when, but 500 -600 point per day drops will pass.

When things calm down think about a stock/bond/cash allocation that you'll be comfortable with. Review your January 2017 retirement goal one year from now. A lot will likely change.

And cooler heads will prevail as they always do.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:23 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore View Post

I have a interesting decision to make. I have till Friday to decide if I retire now or continue OMYing. As my personal situation has changed greatly over the last few months I was thinking I'd stay employed for now but here's the problem. My AA is way to stock heavy. Much of my NW is tied into my companys stock. That stock is at a all time high and is evaluated quarterly. Sale of the stock is closed one month before the next evaluation. I would have to give notice by Friday to get it in before the deadline. My plan is/was to sell a good portion of my company stock pay the tax man and set my AA to suit my risk tolerance. I'm concerned if I work another 2 years I may not be in any better or possibly worse shape financially than i am today. So yes this downturn is messing with my mind.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:43 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwinfla View Post
I'm concerned if I work another 2 years I may not be in any better or possibly worse shape financially than i am today. So yes this downturn is messing with my mind.
I totally understand. I ER'd 2 months ago and I have moments where I question the decision. How could you end up in worse shape financially if you keep working vs retiring ?
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
How could you end up in worse shape financially if you keep working vs retiring ?
+1

But it is most likely to put you in worse shape physically, mentally, spiritually, psychologically, physiologically ... I will stop now.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by steady saver View Post
My individual portfolio is 100% in stocks while our 401K is 88% stocks and 12% in a US Debt Index Fund. Another smaller, older 401K account is 100% invested in stocks.
What is the AA of your entire portfolio? Sounds like you may have too much in equities for comfort.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
What is the AA of your entire portfolio? Sounds like you may have too much in equities for comfort.
This is my question too - what is your overall stock/bond ratio? If it is just all of this, then it is probably too high with retirement only 3 years or less away.

In 2008, we were 93/7; which I was OK with - we were early 40s and not planning to retire until I reach 57. Once the markets started rebounding, I slowly started DCA-ing to get to a lower stock percentage, but even now we are still quite aggressive at 83/17, (but still have 11 years until retirement).

Market forces notwithstanding, I will continue over time to slowly lower our stock percentage - will work our way down to 70/30. Of course, having said that - I have some cash and I kind of feel like jumping in more stock funds with this pull back....