Join Early Retirement Today

Not happy with my portfolio performance - What's wrong?
Old 09-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Not happy with my portfolio performance - What's wrong?

Hi Guys,

I'm 33, no kids, not married yet but after reviewing my portfolio: I've only managed about 11% gains over the past 2 years (started June/2010). I am starting to wonder if I need to adjust my approach? 11% just doesn't look very good especially the market has been on a tear since then.

My simple approach:

For a business professional that travels a lot, I don't have time to track the market and between fighting jetlag and business meetings, I only have time and energy to track global financial information and haven't spent too much time studying all the financial products the world has to offer.

From what I've read, it is really hard to outpace the growth of the S&P500 over time so I basically bought index ETF's such as SPY and QQQ etc when times are BAD and just let it ride. It has been a good ride since 2010 but are my returns pathetic or is it ok for an amateur?

I'm sittting on 50% cash and 50% invested in the markets - not sure what to do next......

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For 50/50 11% is probably not too far off. SPY two year return is ~30% and cash is roughly 0% which give about a 15%, then depending on when you bought SPY that could account for the difference.

Probably at your age I would be all stocks for max cap gains, with cash cushion ( 90/10 maybe ). You have time in the market to ride the volatilty. YMMV

Old 09-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You should have a simple, set-and-forget (almost) portfolio.

I've flown a lot on business and thus I've had plenty of time to read books. I suggest you get started here: Getting Started - Bogleheads
Then select 2 books from the reading list at that link. Then read those books and follow the advice.

You will learn that you don't have to study anything nor track the market. But you cannot sit in cash either.

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorikin_86 View Post
I'm sittting on 50% cash and 50% invested in the markets - not sure what to do next......

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Whatever is invested in cash will not grow. Inflation actually eats away at the cash, but that is another story.

At a 50/50 asset allocation, you are more conservative than me, a 59-year old. Of course you should have some cash based on your needs. But if you want more gain, you need to invest more of the cash, and more than likely in small cap fund, REIT, etc.

You can get a deeper analysis in many places, like forums at Morningstar. And you can really help yourself by reading a respected manual or book on asset allocation.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

why is a young person in 50% cash?
2011 was a flat year -0% gain for the S&P 500
2012 is up pretty well (about 14%so far) and perhaps
due a small correction with the fiscal cliff, Europe woes
and Iran/Israel and Mideast worries... mark
Old 09-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #6

You mention you started in 2010.

Were you dollar cost averaging in (like in a 401k) or was it a lump sum invested in 2010.
If it's the former - then of course you didn't get the full 2 years return on the amount because not all of it was in the market the full 2 years.

As far as performance compared to market... That's why I use market index funds... It matches the market by design. I don't trust myself or an actively managed fund manager's ability to predict and outperform the market. I choose to be happy with matching market performance via index funds.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you want something that is no fuss/minimal maintenance I suggest you check into the following:

Vanguard Target Retirement 2045 Fund (VTIVX)
Vanguard STAR Fund (VGSTX)
Vanguard Wellington Fund Admiral Shares (VWENX)

As others have suggested, your returns are low because you have too much cash earning next to nothing.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

If you're not going to educate yourself on what to invest in, then you're going to get lousy returns that barely beat inflation. If you want big returns you need to be looking for specific sectors or stocks that have great growth potential.

Look into precious metals and commodities, specifically the miners. My average agains over the last few years are in the 100-150% ranger per year in this sector. I still think there is a long way to go, considering FED policy and world wide currency devaluation.

Good luck!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbw888 View Post
Good luck!
I'd caution the OP that if you expect "big returns" you will need good luck - a lot of good luck.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
You should have a simple, set-and-forget (almost) portfolio.

I've flown a lot on business and thus I've had plenty of time to read books. I suggest you get started here: Getting Started - Bogleheads
Also check out the page on lazy portfolios:

Lazy Portfolios - Bogleheads
Old 09-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm waiting for the original poster to clarify if the 11% returns are including his cash or just the performance of his equity investments.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Considering you went with index funds, your results aren't bad. With such a long time horizon, you should be in managed funds.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james7 View Post
Considering you went with index funds, your results aren't bad. With such a long time horizon, you should be in managed funds.
Really?................Even though they'll perform worse than index funds?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Look into precious metals and commodities, specifically the miners. My average agains over the last few years are in the 100-150% ranger per year in this sector. I still think there is a long way to go...
Didn't these sectors take some big beating recently?
Old 09-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #15

Total Stock Market/ Total Int'l Stock Market/Total Bond Market, pick your allocation, rebalance once year or whatever works. Keep it simple
Old 09-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Look into precious metals and commodities, specifically the miners. My average agains over the last few years are in the 100-150% ranger per year in this sector. I still think there is a long way to go, considering FED policy and world wide currency devaluation.
Really 100-150% Where did you pull that from??
Looking at VG's precious metals fund (mostly miner stocks):
Dec 31 2009: 20.44
Sep 17 2012: 17.53

TJ
Old 09-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #17

Quote:
If you're not going to educate yourself on what to invest in, then you're going to get lousy returns that barely beat inflation. If you want big returns you need to be looking for specific sectors or stocks that have great growth potential.
You'll also be risking big losses.

Quote:

Good luck!
Great returns......I would not recommend making such stocks/funds a major part of an AA. The OP is doing nicely at 11%. I'm very happy that my 20/40/40 AA is returning 9% YTD. That's 6% more than my ER plan requires.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejayevans View Post
Really 100-150% Where did you pull that from??
Looking at VG's precious metals fund (mostly miner stocks):
Dec 31 2009: 20.44
Sep 17 2012: 17.53

TJ
I began investing at the lows in February/March of 2009. That fund is mostly large tier miners, and agricultural stocks. I pick individual stocks mostly, and mainly junior miners. I like First Majestic Silver, Great Panther, Silvercorp, Jaguar, Endeavour, Silver Wheaton.

Check them out. Most have had some pretty good gains over the last few years. You can also play ETFs, such as AGQ. If timing is your game, you can trade the volatility in these stocks as well.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #19

Quote:
I began investing at the lows in February/March of 2009. That fund is mostly large tier miners, and agricultural stocks. I pick individual stocks mostly, and mainly junior miners. I like First Majestic Silver, Great Panther, Silvercorp, Jaguar, Endeavour, Silver Wheaton.

Check them out. Most have had some pretty good gains over the last few years. You can also play ETFs, such as AGQ. If timing is your game, you can trade the volatility in these stocks as well.
Hmm, "play"...."timing"......"trade the volatility". If the OP is truly disappointed with 11% he might want to get familiar with such terms. He'd also probably get familiar with ulcer medication and beta-blockers.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Hmm, "play"...."timing"......"trade the volatility". If the OP is truly disappointed with 11% he might want to get familiar with such terms. He'd also probably get familiar with ulcer medication and beta-blockers.
Haha very true. I guess the best advice if you want higher returns is that you'll first need to grow a pair.