Join Early Retirement Today

Not so smooth with SSA
Old 10-20-2019, 06:23 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not so smooth with SSA

There have been lots of threads and posts noteing how easy and smooth starting Social Security payments have been for many. Not this time.

A little back ground... I retired at 63 and began collecting Social Security on my late wife's account. I turn 70 next February so it is time to move to collecting on my own account.

I was not sure exactly how to go about doing this with collecting on my wife's account so I called SSA a couple of weeks ago. The lady I talked to said I was not too early and I could apply by phone or in person. I said by phone. She told me someone from the local office would call to set a phone appointment in a few days. That was that so I waited for the phone call. It never came. Today I received a letter from the local SSA office informing me that my phone request for Supplemental Security Income had been denied.

It looks like I will be on the phone for a few hours tomorrow trying to straighten this out. Working with Government minions can be so much fun!

More on this saga as it develops.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 06:31 PM   #2

I'd make a appointment & go in. It may be a case of SS not being able to end your late wife's SS over the phone, along with starting on your record. I went in after my wife passed and they were very helpful. Showed that I could collect on her account, but would be taxed if income >$18k or so. So I asked about other options. He came up with a plan to collect at 65 on her account, then switch to mine at 70

The waiting area was the worst part but once I got to the window the guy was very nice and helped a lot
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:38 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm guessing most of us who had smooth sailing signing up for SS had "plain vanilla" situations, not the complexity your sign up presents. That said, it should still be something the SS folks are familiar with and can implement without the confusion you are experiencing.

Hope you get it straightened out without too much effort.

PS, I agree with Scrapr on going in person. I've only done that once but was pleased at how helpful the SS person was that I saw at the local office.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #4

I think I will do an in-person appointment. It means over 3 hours of driving, but this response makes me a little leary of trying to get it done by phone.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:56 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They required me to go in person to collect on my survivor benes, so I'll be going in to end them and start my own.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapr View Post
I'd make a appointment & go in. It may be a case of SS not being able to end your late wife's SS over the phone, along with starting on your record. I went in after my wife passed and they were very helpful. Showed that I could collect on her account, but would be taxed if income >$18k or so. So I asked about other options. He came up with a plan to collect at 65 on her account, then switch to mine at 70

The waiting area was the worst part but once I got to the window the guy was very nice and helped a lot
I went in person when I applied under my wife's account. The waiting room was interesting. It was packed and only a hand full were any where near 60. Most were in their 20s and 30s.

All SS accounts seem to be a bit different. In my case I have a large enough pension that any SSA income is taxed so I started on my wife's account when I retired.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:06 PM   #7

Yup. Go there.

DW has only spousal benefit. We tried to do it over the phone. After a while, we all agreed to do F2F. After that, strawberries and champagne.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

My son has an interesting situation. He went in to the office because he had trouble setting up an online account because he wanted to use the retirement estimator. He brought his birth certificate from Korea, his naturalization papers and his original adoption paperwork and the paperwork from when I adopted him when he was 30. The clerk wanted his original adoptive mother's maiden name (she was Korean), which he doesn't know (it's been 40+ years). It may be on the birth certificate, but he can't read it. The clerk kept saying to just say it phonetically, but since he doesn't know it, he can't say it. So she then asked for his adoptive father's name (he's American), which he does know. He said the name, she looked at her computer and said, no, that's not it. What?? Not sure how he's going to resolve the situation, and now he's wondering if there might be some kind of fraud going on because of the father's name problem.
PawPrint53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:51 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Today I received a letter from the local SSA office informing me that my phone request for Supplemental Security Income had been denied.
For me, applying for SS by phone did go smoothly (no need to wait for a return call), but a couple of weeks later when I got the letter stating that my benefits would begin on the requested date there was also a letter stating that my request for SSI benefits (which I never sought) had been denied. I assumed that the SSI letter was either routine or a glitch & ignored it.

Since you don't turn 70 till February your new benefit won't start till March, so it might be too early for SSA to process.

I'm guessing (& hoping) a phone call will resolve this.
lucky penny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky penny View Post
For me, applying for SS by phone did go smoothly (no need to wait for a return call), but a couple of weeks later when I got the letter stating that my benefits would begin on the requested date there was also a letter stating that my request for SSI benefits (which I never sought) had been denied. I assumed that the SSI letter was either routine or a glitch & ignored it.

Since you don't turn 70 till February your new benefit won't start till March, so it might be too early for SSA to process.

I'm guessing (& hoping) a phone call will resolve this.
The letter stating SSI denial is routine.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:53 AM   #11

We had an odd situation online. My account is fine, DW got locked out when trying to set up/login. Their support person suggested it might be an issue with Experian (or whichever credit bureau) and they also kindly unlocked her account at SSA.gov. We went online to credit bureau, all is good, nothing is frozen, etc. Went back to SSA, logged in, locked again.

So even though we've delayed the initiation of her benefits, we had a trip back to the U.S. scheduled so we just waited. Today is the big day! In-person visit to S.S. Should be fun?
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:00 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I went in person when I applied under my wife's account. The waiting room was interesting. It was packed and only a hand full were any where near 60. Most were in their 20s and 30s..
This was also like my first experience about 3 years ago. Seemed to be more a disability office than a SSA office. They had a security guard (Not Carrying) and a take a number machine. After waiting almost 2 hours they called my number. I told him i was THINKING about early retirement and wanted to get some numbers. I was told to come back and see them when i was ready to retire. I ended up doing it online this year and did call in once with a question and that person was very helpful.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
They required me to go in person to collect on my survivor benes, so I'll be going in to end them and start my own.
I did the same, best way to make sure they don't screw it up.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:35 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

If the original adoptive mother's name is on the document but in a foreign language, why not have the document translated and then he knows what it says. You could even get a certified translation.
marinauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
This was also like my first experience about 3 years ago. Seemed to be more a disability office than a SSA office. They had a security guard (Not Carrying) and a take a number machine. After waiting almost 2 hours they called my number. I told him i was THINKING about early retirement and wanted to get some numbers. I was told to come back and see them when i was ready to retire. I ended up doing it online this year and did call in once with a question and that person was very helpful.
I went in to the local office about a year prior to retiring and asked about benefits for my planning. The lady I talked to printed out reports that showed how much I would get for each starting month up to 70 both on my account and on my late wife's account. It was very helpful to my planning process. There was no security at that time. A year later when I went in to start SS on my wife's account the security guard and procedures were in place.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #16

I called SSA this morning, spent my hour on hold and talked to a rep. She confirmed that the SSI denial is a routine screening. I set a phone appointment for mid December which was the earliest available. I don't know why the first rep I talked to could not set an appointment. December is iffy for switching over in March so the rep suggested I do a walkin in November. I will do that on a Thursday or Friday at her suggestion to avoid the first 3 days of the week.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hermit, I had to go to my local Social Security office several times because someone had stolen my SS payment (identity theft). It is impossible to get an appointment at my SS office, you just have to show up and wait (for hours). I found a trick--I go in about 30-45 minutes before opening time and stand outside the door in the hall (there are usually several people doing this) so that I am one of the first to get a number when the door opens. Also, take a book to read.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

An important question about your claim... Did you wait until you were full retirement age (which I presume would be 66 for you) before you started receiving spousal benefits?? If you didn't, the benefits you've been receiving over the past umpteen years might have actually come from your own account and not a spousal benefit at all. If that's the case, there would be no big bump up coming and that might be the reason you got a denial letter. Hopefully, I'm wrong... but you still need to check that out!!
ScaredtoQuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Hermit, I had to go to my local Social Security office several times because someone had stolen my SS payment (identity theft). It is impossible to get an appointment at my SS office, you just have to show up and wait (for hours). I found a trick--I go in about 30-45 minutes before opening time and stand outside the door in the hall (there are usually several people doing this) so that I am one of the first to get a number when the door opens. Also, take a book to read.
Thanks. I'll do that.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #20

Go to the most rural SS office you can drive to. It will be so much easier than one in a more urban environment.

That said (voice of experience here), I have to admit that every SS person I've dealt with, both in person and over the phone, has been excellent.