Novel and scary phone scam

I know this is an old thread, but I saw a good article on CNN this morning about this very scam. The article includes details about how scammers use social engineering to get your personal information, for example, from small companies:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/27/business/phishing-bank-scam-trnd/index.html

"A small company could easily be tricked into giving up personal customer information over the phone if a clever hacker has just enough information to seem credible.

Small banks and companies have been known to put out member newsletters or even hold member appreciation events where it's posted on social media and people are invited to accept or decline the invitation, according to Ron Schlecht, managing partner of security firm BTB Security.

A savvy hacker could've used that information to find members of that bank and use social engineering to find information such as their home addresses and phone numbers in order to phish them."

I was going to mention I saw similar coverage on the morning news only to see the video is the same one (I guess CBS and CNN are kahootz).

I had a call from Bof A fraud Dept following a request for a large wire xfer. The guy asked for personal info and I refused. He said he understood and asked me to call the regular customer service number to verify a transaction. That led to voice directory hell. There was no reasonable way to find anyone familiar with the issue. They don’t use case numbers or anything like that. I finally got it resolved but it was because I added a new payee to the bill pay system.

We've received monthly messages out of Texas on SS. My wife called back to see what they would say. They asked for birth date and she said she wanted a little more info and they hung up.

Yesterday I got a text that my Netflix account was not able to charge me for the latest bill. Knew it was a scam but checked my CC statement which was billed for Oct 2nd. Sent them a text back that they must think I have "Stupid" written on my forehead.

These people are relentless.

Saw a story the other day on the morning news about the scammers being more sneaky by posing as the bank fraud department and faking a one time pin during the scam.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs_this_...scam-targets-bank-customers-via-text-message/

This is like the tale the OP described, where they ask you for the verification code via text they prompted during a Reset Password attempt. Never, EVER read one of those codes over the phone to a stranger, no matter how convincing they sound.

As mentioned earlier, we retired folks seem to get many unwanted calls daily. My newest tactic goes like this:

"Hello Mr. mickeyd, this is Bob calling"

"Oh, Hey Bob. I have been waiting for your call. I have your check right here, all I need is your address...Bob" and I hang up and block the caller.

I know this is an old thread, but I saw a good article on CNN this morning about this very scam. The article includes details about how scammers use social engineering to get your personal information, for example, from small companies:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/27/business/phishing-bank-scam-trnd/index.html

"A small company could easily be tricked into giving up personal customer information over the phone if a clever hacker has just enough information to seem credible.

Small banks and companies have been known to put out member newsletters or even hold member appreciation events where it's posted on social media and people are invited to accept or decline the invitation, according to Ron Schlecht, managing partner of security firm BTB Security.

A savvy hacker could've used that information to find members of that bank and use social engineering to find information such as their home addresses and phone numbers in order to phish them."

My old company did this, the HR dept sent them a file with all the past and present employee information in it. :facepalm::facepalm:

Of course the employer didn't notify anyone, I heard from an existing employee :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I once got a call from a solicitor and I asked if I could think about it and call him back. He stated they didn't give out phone numbers so I had to decide right then. I declined and hung up. Then, since he had said his company's name; I looked up their headquarters phone number, called them, said I had been chatting with 'Bob' from their Los Angeles office and got cut off. Could they give me his number so I can call him back.

They did - I called him back and he freaked out. Thought I was now stalking him. Made him nervous as hell and gave me a big laugh.

One of my credit unions requires me to provide a secret code word for every contact. Another uses a unique PIN for telephone contact.

I once got a call from a solicitor and I asked if I could think about it and call him back. He stated they didn't give out phone numbers so I had to decide right then. I declined and hung up. Then, since he had said his company's name; I looked up their headquarters phone number, called them, said I had been chatting with 'Bob' from their Los Angeles office and got cut off. Could they give me his number so I can call him back.

They did - I called him back and he freaked out. Thought I was now stalking him. Made him nervous as hell and gave me a big laugh.

I'd have to question the honesty of someone who tried to sell me something, but wouldn't let me contact them. I know that salesmen want to make an immediate sale, but I won't buy if they won't give me time to think about it.

One thing to remember, the security codes being talked about are for when YOU initiate the communication. The banks will always default to your address and/or phone number on file to contact you and you are assumed to be you. If they need to confirm information, they should provide it for you to confirm.

I got an automated call from the "Social Security Administration Department" today to inform me of a problem with my account involving criminal activity and law enforcement. I had answered my cellphone accidentally. They gave me a number to call but I hit the callback button instead to satisfy my curiosity. A polite young male voice answered "Good Morning, Social Security Administration. How may I help your?"
I was tempted to play but decided not to waste my valuable time.

A good reminder to thank the 'helpful' caller for the information and letting them know that you will call your bank/credit card/brokerage directly to verify the issue.

That's exactly what I would do!

Right.

NEVER discuss your account if someone calls you. NEVER.

Hang up immediately and call your bank and go from there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom