Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Now watch gasoline prices can you say 4 dollars a gallon
Old 04-18-2006, 07:29 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Whoo-hoo, warp speed, Mr. Sulu!

In London, Brent crude for June delivery at the ICE Futures exchange also hit an all-time high of $72.20 a barrel, before easing back to $71.91 — a 45 cent increase from Monday’s close.

On NPR this morning (best radio on the planet IMHO, BBC close second) an "expert" said we're going to see $100 oil soon, no question in her mind.
Praise the Lord!!!!

Black-oil Ed,
Riding pee-troleum in Cowtown, AB

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2006, 04:16 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Again, it's a "yawn situation".

As a long-term investor, following the idea of "many baskets", my funds that invest in oil (all aspects) are doing "better than normal".

On the other hand, one of my "core holdings", which I've had for many, many years (VGHCX - Health Care) is doing "worse than normal, YTD".

What does it all mean?* Not much.* Just further confirmation of not trying to "chase the hot stock/fund" of the moment....* 8)

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 04:42 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
I am glad I added to PCRIX at the beginning of this year just in case something like this were to happen.

Ka-Ching!

Old 04-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

When you sit back and think about it, the actual cost of drilling, shipping and refining has not really gone up much.

What is fueling the price rise is the bidding in the commodies markets. However, don't be surprised if when all is said and done, that collusion between the TIGHT LIPPED oil people was the major cause of the price increase.

The oil business is loaded with money, and money buys influence and control of the media.

Notice that there are no Senators, Reps or anyone in Government screaming about these prices and screaming for an investigation of the oil industry.* The silence tells us something.* The offshore bank accounts of these scumbags are flowing with bribe money. Ah Guarrentee it!!!!

The idea of a free market system is based on competition to keep prices in check. However, when a well OILED industry colludes, there is nothing to stop them from manipulating the price of crude, since they own the Government, the media and who or whatever else needed to keep the price of crude high.

If you believe anything else, then do so, but I see collusion big time.

Jug
at da corner of beaver and broad watching de girls wawk by.
jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:44 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug

Notice that there are no Senators, Reps or anyone in Government screaming about these prices and screaming for an investigation of the oil industry. The silence tells us something.
You are kidding, right?

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/18/news...tion/index.htm
camberiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:46 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jug
When you sit back and think about it, the actual cost of drilling, shipping and refining has not really gone up much.

What is fueling the price rise is the bidding in the commodies markets. However, don't be surprised if when all is said and done, that collusion between the TIGHT LIPPED oil people was the major cause of the price increase.

The oil business is loaded with money, and money buys influence and control of the media.

Notice that there are no Senators, Reps or anyone in Government screaming about these prices and screaming for an investigation of the oil industry.* The silence tells us something.* The offshore bank accounts of these scumbags are flowing with bribe money. Ah Guarrentee it!!!!

The idea of a free market system is based on competition to keep prices in check. However, when a well OILED industry colludes, there is nothing to stop them from manipulating the price of crude, since they own the Government, the media and who or whatever else needed to keep the price of crude high.

If you believe anything else, then do so, but I see collusion big time.

Jug
at da corner of beaver and broad watching de girls wawk by.
The price of aluminum has been shooting up, so it is going to be more expensive to wear that foil helmet of yours...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:17 AM   #27

JUG:

If you think the price of oil and gasoline are too high then just don't use any and just don't buy any.

These people that think they are entitled to $1/gal gas are really irritating.

I'll bet that you have two really big trucks.

Then you tell your friends
"Someone should do something about these high gas prices !" "Those oil companies are crooks !"
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:31 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
J

"Someone should do something about these high gas prices !" "Those oil companies are crooks !"
How dare you to lay the blame of the high gas prices on the 120lbs lady who drives a 4 ton V10 truck/SUV everyday to the mall?

How dare you to lay blame on the fat/lazy Americans who drive to the store that is 800 yards away from their homes, instead of walking?

How dare you to lay the blame on the millions of americans who have NEVER used public transportation in their lives.

Blame the evil corporations and the equally evil "sand [MODERATOR EDIT]" at the OPEC. They are the ones at fault here. :
camberiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:01 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Our kid is convinced that by the time she gets her license (late 2008) gas will be too expensive for her to be able to afford to drive.

I tell her that it's all a vast government conspiracy to keep teenagers off the roads.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:02 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
JUG:

If you think the price of oil and gasoline are too high then just don't use any and just don't buy any.

Look, I can well do without the car.* I live in New York City, grew up without a car, did much and still do much walking.

I have 2 cars, put 3K each year on one, a honda civic, and have a CRV, put about 7K on that.* If you told me Im not to use the car, then its ok.*

The problem is that most of us live in communities designed in ways that force us to use the car to drive that mile or so to the convenience store to pick up whatever we may need at the time.
This is the way the US is designed in recent years, not walk friendly.

Im looking at the oil situation not for my particular needs but in an objective manner, thinking critically without any emotion tied to it, and seeing* very clearly the manipulation that is going on.

Some people are saying the entrance of China and India into the age of the auto is causing this mass rise in bidding for oil.* The fact is that both countries did not overnight come into the age of the auto and build huge highway systems like found in the US and Europe.

The media that supports these stories I believe is manipulated to feed the frenzy of bidding up the prices.* Its collusion the way I see it, no doubt about it in my mind. What these execs have managed to do is buy huge influence in our house and senate, as well as other players around the world, causing these scumbag politicos to look the other way while the colluders rake in the bucks big time.

Our only defense is to stop driving, and Im all for a national boycott of oil, I can live with out a fillup for a long time, can you? I use public transport for most of my commute,and Im quite used to walking, can many of you do that?

Think what you would do as an oil company executive who is not affected by US anti-trust laws and how you would get together with your competition and come up with ways of increasing revenue on a mass basis.*

With the amount of money the big players have, it is quite easy to manipulate media and politicians to look the other way and do what is beneficial for you to meet your goals.

High oil effects us all and the country will sooner or later take a big economic hit if these prices are sustained.

jug
Old 04-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #31

I plan to take a leisurely drive from NYC to Tucson during the summer, the height of the driving season. Although, I am driving my 92 Camry and hope to get about 25 to 28 to the gallon, it going to be an expensive fuel trip if the average price will reach $4 by that time.
Let's see, 3000 miles / 25 * $4 = $480 Ouch.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:09 PM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
I plan to take a leisurely drive from NYC to Tucson during the summer, the height of the driving season. Although, I am driving my 92 Camry and hope to get about 25 to 28 to the gallon, it going to be an expensive fuel trip if the average price will reach $4 by that time.
Let's see, 3000 miles / 25 * $4 = $480 Ouch.
But your car is paid for, and gets close to 30 mpg. If you were to fly and two of you were going you would also need to rent a car when you got there, way more than 480 bucks .

I got a big kick today when a guy was filling up his large suv at 289 a gallon something like 60 bucks. Heck he only gets 15 mpg, stupid @ss and still owes 490 a month on the payments for another 2 years!!

My new 8 month old 2005 4 cyl 5 speed camry just got 38 miles per gallon on my 1100 mile trip down to north carolina and back to New Jersey. 299 a month payments. Heck I made it down 510 miles and still had a 1/4 of a tank left!!

If every american got his sorry fat arse OUT OF THE WASTEFUL SUV AND PICK UP TRUCKS we all would have a better time at the pumps ie Price. But alas americans are just efin stupid and spoiled.i
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
More doom and gloom.* It's already been discussed 8 months ago.* Didn't come true then either (yet).

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=4066.0
Well now that you brought it up, I'll just use my same response and I expect it will be as accurate now as it was then------* :P :P
<<<<<If they are talking about the national average for unleaded regular- - -I'd be willing to bet against $4.>>>>>
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:37 PM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
Well now that you brought it up, I'll just use my same response and I expect it will be as accurate now as it was then------ :P :P
<<<<<If they are talking about the national average for unleaded regular- - -I'd be willing to bet against $4.>>>>>
Did you read what the nut in Iran just said?? Oil is undervalued??

Look the oil markets efin FREAK OUT at anything from Iran, we will see 100 a barrel oil and yes 4 dollar a gallon gasoline by august. Heck it is just under 3 dollars a gallon now national average and the hurricaines have not even started.

$hit I bet we have gasoline lines all over the place sooner than later and boy will that su&k ! remember back in the 70s?? Waiting for 5 dollars of gas for 3 hours??

What would the lines be like today? More cars less stations, sh8t we all might need to throw out all the american politicians for not fixing the darn RAILROADS!!!

In europe gasoline is way over 4 dollars a gallon but YOU CAN GET ON A TRAIN AND GET PLACES!!!!!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:51 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

newguy88, you have officially used up your alotment of capital letters and repeat punctuation.

Gas lines will be because of an excess in demand, not a rise in prices, price rises will marginally reduce demand, not increase it. $5 gas and lines at the pump work against each other. Those lines in the 70's were due to gas rationing.

$4 gas is not going to wreck us. Gas is $3 a gallon now. So let's say a typical two driver family uses 20 gallons a week, $60 a week, ~$250 a month. At $4 that becomes $320 a month, an extra $70. Does that suck? Yes. But if I was really that close to the edge, I could switch to dial up and basic cable, or not go out to eat one time a month.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:56 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy88
But your car is paid for, and gets close to 30 mpg. If you were to fly and two of you were going you would also need to rent a car when you got there, way more than 480 bucks .
I realize the benefits of taking the car but being a tightwad and not having taken a long car trip in over 20 years, $480 seems like a lot of money especially as I am going alone. I was thinking about looking for someone to share my trip/expenses but that would unlikely happen since I am not making a bee line to Tucson and may take at least a month to get there.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:26 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

to bad we use so much gas in a week because it really is a bargain compared to a gallon of milk or water....think about all the exploration costs,the dry wells,,getting the oil from some of the worst places on earth,,,getting the oil out of these areas,,shipping the oil,,processing the oil...making gas out of the oil,,,shipping the gas and finally we get it..all for under 4 bucks a gallon...

lets see then there is milk...well we need a cow,,,,a milker and a bucket,,,,we pasturize the milk and put it in a container...,,,,there done! more than oil??
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:08 AM   #38

Most mornings I have my coffee on the eastside sun deck. There are 2 high rise townhomes being built across the street. Each day the workers typically show up in their pickups. Yesterday one of them arrived in a gas-saving Honda Civic. From the scaffolding above a fellow tradesman hollered down, "Hey Junior where's your manly car?".

I can't wait to see what happens today. Only two hours to go. Time to make the coffee. I really am retired.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:32 AM   #39

Our only defense is to stop driving, and Im all for a national boycott of oil, I can live with out a fillup for a long time, can you? I use public transport for most of my commute,and Im quite used to walking, can many of you do that?

jug
What do you plan on eating in New York when the trucks that bring the groceries are boycotting the oil companys?
Old 04-20-2006, 06:53 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
Our only defense is to stop driving, and Im all for a national boycott of oil, I can live with out a fillup for a long time, can you?* I use public transport for most of my commute,and Im quite used to walking,* can many of you do that?

jug
Quote:

What do you plan on eating in New York when the trucks that bring the groceries are boycotting the oil companys?
Most of us living here, just like the rest of the country can afford to probably eat half of what we are eating now and be in much better health and shape. Most of the crap carted in by the trucks is just that, CRAP.

The nation should unite and go on a boycott showing the thugs in government and in industry that we can counter their acts of collusion.

Thievery by thugs thrives when confusion and disorganization by those being robbed is the norm.

This crap about the American being the "rugged inidividual" is just that, crap. The thugs in industry and government tout this rugged individual stuff, while they themselves are very united at colluding and thinking of schemes to squeeze every last dime out of us.

jug