Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Now watch gasoline prices can you say 4 dollars a gallon
Old 04-22-2006, 11:06 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When we drove across the country to move to South Carolina, we spent 2 nights at the Venetian in Las Vegas, followed by 2 nights in our backpacking tent at the Grand Canyon. Went from ogling the fountains at the Bellagio to ogling the canyon. From eating sushi at an expensive Japanese restuarant, to tuna casserole on a plastic tablecloth at our picnic table, heated on our camp stove. From a luxurious travertine bathroom with bidet, to the public cold-water-only campground sink and smelly toilets. From waiters and busboys, to DIY. And from a sterile but very clean and beautiful hotel room to a tent with mesh "ceiling" so we could watch the stars as we fell asleep. The next 2 nights were spent at a B&B in Cortez, CO (near Mesa Verde). We arrived just as an elderhostel group was getting a presentation on Navajo culture, and they invited us to join them. Diversification is not just for portfolios* 8)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2006, 12:05 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
LOL! Many campgrounds have pools and hot tubs. The resort we are staying in now has two of each - including a set in the "adults only" section.
Audrey, care to elaborate?
Old 04-22-2006, 05:05 PM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
BPP:

Many SUVs are no safer than a midsize car. Yes they do well in two vehicle accidents because of their weight as you point out. However they tend to roll over in severe manuevers and have relatively poor breaking ability due to their weight. Their mixed safety record(s) are well documented.
Back when we bought our SUV, I looked at all the crash-test ratings then available, and the top ratings were all on SUVs and minivans. I haven't had occasion to look into it lately, so maybe that has changed, but at the time, it was overwhelmingly lopsided. This was before the roll-over ratings came out, but I don't think that is a big issue where I live. Maybe at expressway speeds, but in my town you just can't go that fast. However, you are very likely to get T-boned at an intersection by someone blowing through a red light. (That is how we lost the previous car, which admittedly influenced our selection process for its replacement.) Maneuverability and stopping distance are not even part of the equation in that case. Mass and body construction are everything.

Quote:
From a best personal safety perspective you should consider a very large car. They actually have the best overall safety record.
Like what? I wouldn't know where to buy one, except at luxury or import car lots. Plus, it would be hard to park. For affordable mass, one is stuck with SUVs and minivans.

If an affordable, armored Prius came out, I would happily go for that. And actually a hybrid version of the SUV I now drive has come out, but it costs 50% more than what I paid for my present car, so I'm not seriously thinking about it.

Bpp
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:32 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
whats the story on all the oil canada has?* * cant we get more?
Canada is not currently a major oil exporter. *If the price goes and stays above $80 a barrel that could change.
Look who is not even on the list the good old USA.

when I said our national security was in the hands of undemocratic states I was reffering to most of the countries below not Florida or the red states.

Rank Country Proved reserves
(billion barrels)
1. Saudi Arabia *261.9 *unstable undemocratic.
2.Canada * * * * 178.8 * * *great stable democratic ally but almost all * * * * * * * *reserves *(174 billion barrels) are uneconomical oil sands

3.Iran * * * * 125.8 * Unstable undemocratic (hate us) terroists fanatics
4.Iraq * * * * 115.0 * *Unstable no functioning central government (hate us)
5.Kuwait * * * * 101.5 * *Unstable undemocratic
6.UAEmirates * * *97.8 *Unstable undeomcratic
7.Venezuela * * * 77.2 *Unstable (hate us)
8.Russia * * * * *60.0 Unstable undemocratic use much oil domesticallly
9.Libya * * * * *39.0 *Unstable (hate us) terroists
10.Nigeria * * * * *35.3 * very unstable extreme violence in producing areas.

Source: Oil & Gas Journal, Vol. 102, No. 47 (Dec. 10, 2004). From: U.S. Energy Information Administration. http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/international/petroleu.html .

These countries do not care about Americans having to pay $4.00 a gallon for gas.
I am sure many of them think it is funny to hear us bitch about it. *

Iran knows it can build all the Nukes it wants because with Iraq oil taken out by the Insurgency.

The US will never risk its economy over Iran getting nukes.

What we need is a national energy policy that rewards consumers for buying more fuel efficient car, boats, trucks ect. and takes all the money currently subsidising fossil energy production in this coutry and plows it into creating renewable domestic energy sources such as bio deisel, ethanol and some day hydrogen. *

This is not about electricity production. *While electricity production is getting much more expensive and creating a drag on the economy and the country could benefit from significantly incentivising efficiency at least the vast majory of the fuel that produces electricity is produced domestically so we are not putting our security in the hands of foreign governments whose citizens hate us. *

Unfortunately we have two oil men in the white house that despite all the evidence to the contray still think American can produce it way out of high prices. *It is not a conspirancy it is stupidity. *Of course Chenny did make $8 million in 05 from the sale of Halliburtan stock * so I guess he is more evil than stupid. * But I am sure George Jr. turly thinks is policy is right and we can drill our way out of this.

We can't!!! *3% of reserves (including ANWAR) and 25% of consumption. *The only thing Americans can do to bring down the price of oil is use less.
bearkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:05 PM   #105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp
Back when we bought our SUV, I looked at all the crash-test ratings then available, and the top ratings were all on SUVs and minivans.* I haven't had occasion to look into it lately, so maybe that has changed, but at the time, it was overwhelmingly lopsided.* This was before the roll-over ratings came out, but I don't think that is a big issue where I live.* Maybe at expressway speeds, but in my town you just can't go that fast.* However, you are very likely to get T-boned at an intersection by someone blowing through a red light.* (That is how we lost the previous car, which admittedly influenced our selection process for its replacement.)* Maneuverability and stopping distance are not even part of the equation in that case.* Mass and body construction are everything.

Like what?* I wouldn't know where to buy one, except at luxury or import car lots.* Plus, it would be hard to park.* For affordable mass, one is stuck with SUVs and minivans.

If an affordable, armored Prius came out, I would happily go for that.* And actually a hybrid version of the SUV I now drive has come out, but it costs 50% more than what I paid for my present car, so I'm not seriously thinking about it.

Bpp
Bpp, I personally put a lot more stock in the data compiled by the IIHS (www.carsafety.org) than I do in gummint crash tests. Unlike the feddle gummint, the insurers have both a huge amount of real world data and a financial incentive to get it right. As such, I look very closely at the loss data on personal injury claims and their overall crash test results. According to the IIHS, you can buy two inexpensive sedans/wagons that have top notch safety results and get 30MPG on the highway: the Subaru Legacy and the Ford 500.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:11 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond
Audrey, care to elaborate?*
Adults Only means no one 16 or younger allowed in the area. Nothing more than that!

Audrey
Old 04-22-2006, 11:08 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Bpp, I personally put a lot more stock in the data compiled by the IIHS (www.carsafety.org) than I do in gummint crash tests. Unlike the feddle gummint, the insurers have both a huge amount of real world data and a financial incentive to get it right. As such, I look very closely at the loss data on personal injury claims and their overall crash test results. According to the IIHS, you can buy two inexpensive sedans/wagons that have top notch safety results and get 30MPG on the highway: the Subaru Legacy and the Ford 500.
Hi Brewer,

I looked at all the ratings I could find from government and non-governmental organizations in Japan, the US (including IIHS, as I recall), Europe, and Australia, and where they overlapped they were generally pretty consistent with one other. But, next time I'm in the market, I'll certainly have another look. Won't be for a long time yet though, I hope.

Bpp
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:37 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

i started to go car shopping yesterday.the lease is up and im getting rid of my xterra and am looking at a smaller cross over like the bmw x3...since i do like to camp and hunt and bike a car is inconvienient....while we were looking i started to think that if i got the smaller bmw 325i and rented a truck on the camping occassions i could get 20% better gas milage.........
well the more expensive x3 suv had a great lease deal 349.00 a month for 36 months.......the cheaper 325xi didnt have such a great deal 429.00 a month....i then figured at 80 a month more for the car for 36 months even at 4.00 a gallon the suv which got 20% less milage was the better deal by almost 2,000 bucks in the end...havent decided yet but i think im going for the little suv
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:23 AM   #109

Quote:
i started to go car shopping yesterday.the lease is up and im getting rid of my xterra and am looking at a smaller cross over like the bmw x3...since i do like to camp and hunt and bike a car is inconvienient....while we were looking i started to think that if i got the smaller bmw 325i and rented a truck on the camping occassions i could get 20% better gas milage.........
* * well the more expensive x3 suv had a great lease deal* 349.00 a month for 36 months.......the cheaper 325xi didnt have such a great deal* 429.00 a month....i then figured at 80 a month more for the car for 36 months even at 4.00 a gallon the suv which got 20% less milage was the better deal by almost 2,000 bucks in the end...havent decided yet but i think im going for the little suv
Math,

No such thing as a good lease. At 429 a month for 36 months your willing to pay $15,444 plus all the other fees to drive a car?

Vehicles depreciate the fastest in the first 2 or 3 years. Keep doing this every few years and it will cost you a forture. Vanity is the only part of the equation that makes sence if that's what makes you happy.

Old 04-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454
Math,

No such thing as a good lease.* At 429 a month for 36 months your willing to pay $15,444 plus all the other fees to drive a car?

Vehicles depreciate the fastest in the first 2 or 3 years.* Keep doing this every few years and it will cost you a forture.* Vanity is the only part of the equation that makes sence if that's what makes you happy.
My thought exactly.* Seems that he/she has other "priorities" other than ER...

I'm not saying he/she should not do "what they wish", however if you are looking "truly" to rid yourself of "the man", this is not the way to do it (disclamer, unless you are "rich" and don't give a dam...).

- Ron...
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:38 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

actually my leases worked out great...my current lease even worked out cheaper than the depreciation i would have lost had i bought it...i only pay sales tax on the portion on the lease not the entire car and best of all i dont want to own a car anymore after the warranty is up.....when i figured out what it would cost to buy my vehicle,add the optional warranty at the end of the warranty period,the major services due at that point plus tires ,they can have the vehicle back.........i own my 99 nissan altima..compared to what that car has cost me to keep it going for 100,000 plus miles i could have leased one almost every 3 years...besides the reliability factor on cars today seems to drop big time around the fourth year or so.at least in my experience..i own as well as lease but im going all lease eventually
Old 04-23-2006, 09:41 AM   #112
gone traveling

bmw x3?

Hummm 36 grand, lease ? Nutty to me. Buy the least expensive thing that is still nice, heck I picked up a 2005 toyota camry for 18,000 new last year 4 cyl 5 speed gets 35 mpg.

Should last 10+ years. Keep it washed and waxed, it will be a good friend for years.

dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:44 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

i wouldnt get the 325xi for 429 but the x3 suv at 349.00 is good deal.........and that includes all maintaince items. not 1 penny for anything for 4 years
im only pre-er at this point and we figure this is our last chance before er to get something a little crazy before going back to a honda civic later on ......
Old 04-23-2006, 09:52 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

i dont even want to talk about the volvo i bought.....in the 8 years i tried to own that car the only thing that i think didnt get replaced was the glove compartment door....actually i had a company car too so i drove it 6-7000 miles a year.once it became my main vehicle ooooh man i never wanted to own an older car again...nothing like new!
my buddy bought a chrysler minivan,,he is in his 4 year of payments and forgetting the fact he has a warranty the un-reliability factor of it has him wanting to get rid of it.....the thing depreciated so much hes going to get killed
Old 04-23-2006, 11:06 AM   #115

Quote:
actually my leases worked out great...my current lease even worked out cheaper than the depreciation i would have lost had i bought it...i only pay sales tax on the portion on the lease not the entire car and best of all i dont want to own a car anymore after the warranty is up.....when i figured out what it would cost to buy my vehicle,add the optional warranty at the end of the warranty period,the major services due at that point plus tires ,they can have the vehicle back.........i own my 99 nissan altima..compared to what that car has cost me to keep it going for 100,000 plus miles i could have leased one almost every 3 years...besides the reliability factor on cars today seems to drop big time around the
fourth year or so.at least in my experience..i own as well as lease but im going all lease eventually
Math,

You are the exact person that the auto dealers are looking for. I don't care how you do the math, You Lose!

I love this argument, "this way I don't have to buy a warranty"

What's cheaper a $1000 warranty or a new BMW??

But if you think it's a good deal it must be. At least you have the dealers and manufacturers on your side about it.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:36 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

well the buy out on my 2004 xterra after my 4 year lease is 13,000...a fair price....warranty 1800.00 tax on the deal 400.00 bucks,,new tires 700.00..60,000 mile service 575.00............timing chain at 80,000 840.00
hmmmm lets see ,,,ill go with new bmw
Old 04-23-2006, 02:17 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Adults Only means no one 16 or younger allowed in the area. Nothing more than that!

Audrey
Old 04-23-2006, 06:28 PM   #118

hate to bring this back on topic, but the following might be of interest:

OPEC Head Predicts Oil Prices Will Fall
DOHA, Qatar -* * *OPEC President Edmund Maduabebe Daukoru predicted Sunday that oil prices would fall from their current high of just over $75 a barrel to stabilize in the "upper fifties to lower sixties" as political tensions ease. ..."When the capacity is tight, you get a wide fluctuation of prices — up or down — depending upon the particular circumstances."

d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:38 PM   #119
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by d
hate to bring this back on topic, but the following might be of interest:

OPEC Head Predicts Oil Prices Will Fall
DOHA, Qatar - OPEC President Edmund Maduabebe Daukoru predicted Sunday that oil prices would fall from their current high of just over $75 a barrel to stabilize in the "upper fifties to lower sixties" as political tensions ease. ..."When the capacity is tight, you get a wide fluctuation of prices — up or down — depending upon the particular circumstances."

Nope he is wrong.

Prices will hit 80 or 90 a barrel before it ever hits 55.

$hit bin laden is still alive.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:01 PM   #120

Quote:
Nope he is wrong
yeah, right ... what would he know
d is offline   Reply With Quote