Join Early Retirement Today

Nuclear power plant I am a dope
Old 08-15-2006, 05:22 AM   #1
gone traveling

Nuclear power plant I am a dope

I now live 15 miles from one, and only a small mortgage, and now NOW it bothers me. I move away from NYC only to wake up today after my 10 mile run and think I made a terrible mistake.

I need to go bang my head against the wall.

seriously, I feel like a dumb idiot, I am taking my early retirement as of jan 1 but I am just not excited about it.
i dunno, there are things we have no control over BUT I HAD CONTROL OVER where to move, $hit I should have been at least 50 miles from the darn plant.

Homeowners would not cover a cent IF we were able to flee from an accident, but my 300,000 would be well green as toast and never able to recoup a cent.

Wondaful.

Oh check this link out, I just found it a second after I posted this, IT FITS my thoughts!http://www.yahoo.com/s/368766 I need to move to the moon!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Nuclear power plant I am a dope
Old 08-15-2006, 05:28 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

N.G. -

Don't fret!* Nuclear power is used in many countries, without any problem.* What you see/hear about are the "outliers" on the bell curve.

See the following for information, by country:

http://www.euronuclear.org/info/ency...world-wide.htm

How many of these plants have you NOT heard about?

Chill out!* There are a lot of other things that you can worry about....

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:37 AM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron'Da
N.G. -

Don't fret! Nuclear power is used in many countries, without any problem. What you see/hear about are the "outliers" on the bell curve.

See the following for information, by country:

http://www.euronuclear.org/info/ency...world-wide.htm

How many of these plants have you NOT heard about?

Chill out! There are a lot of other things that you can worry about....

- Ron
I know that it is a stupid and an irrational fear, I just am maybe a bit on edge with having to spend the next 4 months back up north finishing my contract out and then being early retired down here. I do like the area, less stress this has been a great 7 weeks since we sold the big house in NJ and got rid of the big mortgage, I sleep much better, but maybe it was seeing those cooling towers while on my kayak that well made me think I was a dope.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:21 AM   #4

Well, not entirely irrational.* Note that many European plants were constructed in more of an assembly line manner, whereas many U.S. plants were one-off's ... offered years ago as an explanation of our higher costs.* Not necessarily a benefit.

In Phoenix, we have one of the largest nuclear power plants in the world.* Most folks did not want to live close by, downwind (it's all downwind in Phoenix ...).

It is an interesting fact, and one that I always found notable in the debate, that our homeowners insurance policies have a specific exclusion for nuclear power plants.* "They're perfectly safe", but we won't cover any losses ... won't see a similar exclusion for refineries, chemical plants, etc.

Odds are, no problem.* OTOH, there used to be low emissions from such plants, the occasional accident, etc.* If it is too much, you can always sell and buy elsewhere, for transaction costs.* I like not being downwind at all from Palo Verde now that we're in TN, but it wasn't a big deal ... 'course, we were 60 miles away.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:10 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You need to invest in some Nuke Pills in case of an Accident

http://www.radiation-pills.com/

They will also work in case of a nuclear attack.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:16 AM   #6
Administrator

New Guy:

There really is nothing to fear. On a daily basis, it is safe to say that your radiation exposure will never be increased over natural background levels as a consequence of the plant. *That would be the case if you lived right next to the fence surrounding the plant. *The regulations require it and the system is designed to that standard. * I think you are really wondering what would happen in an accident.

In the history of the U.S. nuclear power industry, Three Mile Island in 1979 was the worst accident, and absolutely no one was harmed as a consequence. *The only property damage was to the reactor itself. *And if you have visions of Chernobyl, you can put your mind at ease on that score as well.

Chernobyl was a graphite moderated (a moderator of some sort -- graphite or water -- is necessary to slow down or "thermalize" the neutrons so that they can cause fission), water cooled plant, without a real containment system (so that fuel could be removed from the reactor while it was operating to be used in nuclear weapons). *The water coolant flowed through tubes and the uranium fuel was external to the tubes. When the flow of coolant stopped, fission did not stop, and, as was aptly demonstrated, graphite burns and can explode.

By contrast, U.S. light water reactors are water moderated and water cooled and the fuel is entubed, with water surrounding it. *As a result of this basic design difference, a loss of coolant accident is far less serious in a US plant. *When there is a loss of coolant, fission stops because there is also then no moderator. *At that point, you need only be concerned about the waste heat, which admittedly can melt the core, as occurred at TMI, but which will certainly not explode or burn like Chernobyl did. *And the US safety injection systems and containment systems are far superior to the Russian designs (among other reasons, because we don't use power plant fuel to make nuclear weapons and can hence build a real containment).

Nuclear power plants in this country also have very, very strict security. *In fact, I am convinced that one of the safest places you could ever be in the event of a terrorist attack would be in the control room of a nuclear plant.

As full disclosure, I was an officer on US Navy nuclear submarines for five years and worked as an engineer at a civilian nuclear power plant for three years prior to attending law school. *However, as a lawyer I currently have no connection to the industry, nor do my clients. *So, I offer the experience and observations of someone who has been on the inside, but I have no axe to grind.

In sum, I would live right next door to the plant without a second thought. *Nuclear plants are good neighbors. *They offer high paying jobs, they involve themselves in the community, they pay an enormous amount of property taxes and, in my view, they are quite safe.

Best wishes,

Gumby
Old 08-15-2006, 08:20 AM   #7

We are from the govenment and we are here to help you !

You are completely safe - Don't worry !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Atomic.jpg (42.6 KB, 202 views)
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:51 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Gosh, you can hardly tell that that used to be North Carolina!
Old 08-15-2006, 10:12 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Boom goes London, boom Paris... :P

Sorry newguy...

Sometimes you have to laugh to keep from crying...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby
There really is nothing to fear. On a daily basis, it is safe to say that your radiation exposure will never be increased over natural background levels as a consequence of the plant. *That would be the case if you lived right next to the fence surrounding the plant. *The regulations require it and the system is designed to that standard. * I think you are really wondering what would happen in an accident.
In the history of the U.S. nuclear power industry, Three Mile Island in 1979 was the worst accident, and absolutely no one was harmed as a consequence. *The only property damage was to the reactor itself. *And if you have visions of Chernobyl, you can put your mind at ease on that score as well.
Yeah, what he said-- except for the lawyers part.

You need to worry constructively.* I'd put your nuclear concerns at slightly higher than a meteorite yet lower than being struck by lightning. Hell, you already raised your life expectancy by a decade and lowered your risk factor by an order of magnitude-- just by leaving New Jersey.

OTOH you should read your local water-quality report or look what's happening to the wetlands... fear that!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:14 PM   #11

You may not need to worry about an excess of radiation, from living near by, but IMO, if there is an bad accident at ANY nuclear power plants in the country, the value of your property will likely be affected - maybe only for a while, maybe forever....I wouldn't live near one personally.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:43 PM   #12
Administrator

One might have assumed that the attack on the World Trade Center would drive down the price of apartments in NYC. It did, but only for a few months and mostly downtown because it was just too damned inconvenient to live there. Since about mid- 2002, the price of NYC apartments has skyrocketed. People have short memories.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:45 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
You need to worry constructively.
Easier said than done! Now I'll spend the rest of the day worried that I'll never learn how to worry constructively
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #14
gone traveling

My head is gonna explode.

Man I am really not afraid of the plant blowing up melting down or a terrorist attack, i just wonder how stupid I was to drop 300,000 grand on a house 15 miles as the crow flys from that plant that I had said years ago I would not live near.

I had a choice and could have been 50 60 or 100 miles away, Coulda shoulda etc.

I don't know maybe its one of those august days when nothing seems right, Too Hot Too Humid, the lawn looks like cr@p, school starts in 3 weeks, I still have to work until dec 22 up in new jersey and I saw The Devil wears Prada and miss NYC Go figure.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #15
Administrator

Where did you live in New Jersey? I'll bet you were closer to a nuclear plant than you think.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:15 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Where did you live in New Jersey? I'll bet you were closer to a nuclear plant than you think.
Warren county, 50 miles from limmerick in pottstown pa and 90 from 3 mile Island, 100 to Indian point, 60 to Berwick Pa.

I am just concerned about the factor of putting all of the proceeds from my house into a place that could lose all value, insurance is a joke there is none.

I was not thinking here on this factor.

I will propbably stop beating myself up about this in the morning.

Hey, life is a gamble, I am Kool with it.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:29 PM   #17

newguy:* You need to look at if your anxiety really stems from the 300K you put on your house or the fact that you live 15 miles from a nuclear power plant.* I'm willing to bet you'd find something else wrong with your substantial purchase, if it wasn't for the power plant.* It sounds like you have a little latent buyer's remorse.* *

I know, I'll shut and stop trying to be Dr. Phil......
Old 08-15-2006, 03:30 PM   #18
Administrator

Your home owner's insurance doesn't cover it because you would submit a claim under the Price-Anderson Act, which is federal insurance for those injured (property or personal injury) by a nuclear accident. *Here is more detail -- *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price-A..._Indemnity_Act
Old 08-15-2006, 03:34 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

NewGuy -- don't worry.* I have lived in Raleigh for a long time.* In my experience, hardly anyone even thinks about the power plant.* I can't recall even one other person worrying about it . . . relax!

edited to add: One of my good frends is a senior nuclear engineer at the plant. He is well known as one of the best in the country. The plant is very carefully run!
jeff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:47 PM   #20

Quote:

As full disclosure, I was an officer on US Navy nuclear submarines for five years and worked as an engineer at a civilian nuclear power plant for three years prior to attending law school. *However, as a lawyer I currently have no connection to the industry, nor do my clients. *So, I offer the experience and observations of someone who has been on the inside, but I have no axe to grind.

In sum, I would live right next door to the plant without a second thought. *Nuclear plants are good neighbors. *They offer high paying jobs, they involve themselves in the community, they pay an enormous amount of property taxes and, in my view, they are quite safe.
Spent the first 8.5 yrs of my working like desiging nuclear power plants and working inside operating ones. I'd much rather take my chances inside that reactor building than being outside getting hit by a falling plane or a lightening bolt. The reality is that these plants are safe to the surrounding public. The irrationality is the fear of the unknown.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote