Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Imoldernu, you must have been a late adopter. Excel was first released in 1985 and was preceded by Lotus 1-2-3 in 1983. I think VisiCalc was earlier. Electronic spreadsheets are so much more versatile, and they beat paper hands down for data editing.

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...
During the 2000s, our net worth was barely keeping up with inflation, then dropped below in 2008 and took until 2011 to recover in real terms. Then 2013 was a huge gift, and bumped the net worth up well ahead of inflation which is very nice.

We don't mind spending down. But we really like to stay at least even in real terms at least until the later years.

Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:21 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...
I was just playing with this historical inflation calculator.

Maintenance - Bank of Canada

Calculating for successive 30-year periods I realized that the period from 1964-1994 would have been disastrous for retirees on a fixed income. Inflation was 5.65% and the price of a basket of goods went up x 5.2. If the markets were not doing well, that could lead to rapid portfolio depletion. Historically, the annual inflation rate over the past century has been just over 3%.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by TimSF View Post
OK- really dumb question, but how does one "create a spreadsheet"? Is this an excel thing?
As MichaelB said-- yes, you can use Excel, or one of the free programs (Google Docs, Open Office Calc, etc). If you've never done it, let me put in a plug for investing the time to try it out. You'll probably find all sorts of handy uses for the tool.
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Instead the questions about % of net worth for home, car, or other categories... which often depends on current age, how about a look ahead to where you expect to be when you are older... 60's, 70's or 80's.

In short, when you look ahead, do you expect to ever spend down your capital assets or your nest egg?

There is such emphasis on Safe Withdrawal Rates, that it makes me wonder if the worry about security in old age, is causing many to continue in unsatisfying jobs.
We have never planned in terms of SWRs. I used a spreadsheet or the Fido RIP. We have a year by year budget and many years are unique: mortgage or no mortgage, college or no college, RMDs or not, tax situation changing, SS 1 kicking in, SS 2 kicking in, the non-COLA pensions losing value over time, etc.

We always manage to how much of do we want/need to have left at age 80 & 100 in today's dollars, at least for LTC, if not to leave for the kids. We could live another 50 years and I see people my age or older raising or helping to raise grandkids, needing LTC, getting serious illnesses, having disabled grandkids that need help, adult kids falling on hard times, or whatever, and I don't want to spend the nest egg to anywhere close to zero. It seems like over a potential half a century of potential retirement one or more of those kinds of issues needing large financial resources could easily crop up.

We are also more into capital preservation for our portfolio rather than heavy into stocks, so our returns will be rather relatively low and boring but somewhat predictable.

daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote