NYSE Glitch !

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Seems a bit ironic in light of the goings on in China and Greece or am I just being paranoid ?

Sorry this was my fault. I unplugged a cable that said "NYSE - do not unplug."

Never underestimate the risk of a one line code change.

I heard it was a coding error in a firkin-per-microfortnight approximation.

United flights grounded world-wide, NYSE halted for ~3 hours and WSJ website down for a bit.....Homeland says they are not connected. However, makes me wonder!

Since trading went on on the other stock exchanges, including all the ones listed on NYSE.... nothing for the avg investor....

Now, if you were booked on a flight with United, you got screwed... no backup plan in place.... not as big of news, but IMO more damage done...

Who really cares about WSJ... different sites go down all the time...

It's easy to say it is a glitch, keep a straight face and keep on trucking. If they got hacked, they won't admit it due to shaking confidence. More than likely we will learn the truth someplace down the line. Dollar to a donut they were hacked, along with United and the WSJ.

Since trading went on on the other stock exchanges, including all the ones listed on NYSE.... nothing for the avg investor....

Now, if you were booked on a flight with United, you got screwed... no backup plan in place.... not as big of news, but IMO more damage done...

Who really cares about WSJ... different sites go down all the time...

I have tried two different times unsuccessfully to buy an illiquid stock and I finally got it today, so maybe glitches are good! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

United flights grounded world-wide, NYSE halted for ~3 hours and WSJ website down for a bit.....Homeland says they are not connected. However, makes me wonder!

+1, I am not sure I trust DHS making such a quick determination. I heard the hacker Anonymus tweeted something last night "Wondering if wall street is going to have a bad day tomorrow"

Don't worry, I have my tin foil hat on.

Did DHS officially say there was no connection? When I was tuned in all I heard at that point was the usual Ralph Kramden hummina hummina line about "We have no reason to believe at this time" and "We have no evidence that..."

I heard a report that they attempted a "routine" software upgrade before trading started this morning and there was a problem with the supposedly minor changes that were made. No word on exactly what software was attempting the upgrade.

I heard a report that they attempted a "routine" software upgrade before trading started this morning and there was a problem with the supposedly minor changes that were made. No word on exactly what software was attempting the upgrade.

Wonder who the poor person was that approved or did the change? Wouldn't that be a wonderful discussion item on your review or termination papers. :thumbdown:

Here's one that sort of went immediately into the memory hole almost as soon as they read it. Or maybe I missed more reporting than I realized?

Early in the event it was mentioned (CNN or MSNBC. I watched both alternately) that before trading today there was a bulletin published, I assume by the NYSE, telling traders they might not want to trade stocks on "this list". Or maybe it was a list of stocks that would not be up for transactions at all today? I heard nothing else about this as the day went on.

Last edited:
Did DHS officially say there was no connection? When I was tuned in all I heard at that point was the usual Ralph Kramden hummina hummina line about "We have no reason to believe at this time" and "We have no evidence that..."

Yes, Jeh Johnson of DHS and White House briefing secretary Josh Earnest said so

Sorry this was my fault. I unplugged a cable that said "NYSE - do not unplug."

Hilarious!

Reminds me a cartoon I saw many years ago. Some depiction of a super-secure super-advanced computer system, but someone could just pull the plug. But... it was 'protected' with a piece of Scotch Tape! :LOL:

OK, maybe you had to be there...

-ERD50

I was trying to read the WSJ and day trade on my United flight. Dang, things never go my way.

Hah!

-CC

I flew United to Savannah, GA from Houston at noon today and there were no issues. Matter a fact, the whole group of United terminals in Houston indicated no issues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom