Join Early Retirement Today

Re: O.K., so seeking investment advice
Old 05-27-2005, 06:40 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
... DW and I figured our net worth would go up about 70k this year,
That's a great in light of the market. I would be happy even if the gain is flat.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2005, 09:03 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll go out on a limb here: PLMD. Pinned around 34 until they complete the tender offer next month, but looks to me like they will be north of 40 in a year's time. Pays a modest div, too.

Fair disclosure: I have been long this stock since the bad, old days.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:22 AM   #23

One small regional I am watching is VLLY. Valley is based in Las Vegas, NV. and very strong deposit growth which I like to see. But as I said the small regionals in good geographic areas are jumping up I believe in response to strong results and in anticipation of buyers. VLLY has not been public long which adds to the risk and it does not pay a divi yet. Saw it drop to $25 a week or so ago and it zoomed back to $30. I would think increasing rates would cool it off a bit but still waiting.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:14 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

VLLY looks OK, but has a TON of exposure to the vegas RE market. Better hope that doesn't blow up. I like FMAR better and it is a lot cheaper.

- George Orwell

Old 05-27-2005, 10:57 AM   #25

Yeah VLLY is high exposure to LV market. You have to pretty much assume LV growth will stay strong & real estate moderate. On the other hand, if a larger bank wanted to make an aquisition, VLLY is a very concentrated play on LV market.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:01 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

O.K., so stupid question on dividends, a yahoo quote on microsoft shows a 12% dividend yield. That can't be right! Could someone explain?
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:04 AM   #27

http://moneycentral.msn.com/detail/s...te?Symbol=msft

Old 05-27-2005, 11:07 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

ah, yahoo has a typo:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MSFT

Old 05-27-2005, 11:09 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

That would be the $3 special probably one-time dividend microsoft paid out last year. Very unlikely to become a continuing event.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 11:36 AM   #30

Damn I can't keep up with TH's daily name changes
Old 05-27-2005, 11:37 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Who the hell is "TH"?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:19 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I'll go out on a limb here: PLMD.* Pinned around 34 until they complete the tender offer next month, but looks to me like they will be north of 40 in a year's time.* Pays a modest div, too.

Fair disclosure: I have been long this stock since the bad, old days.
Well, clearly an opportunity was missed on 24 May. But everyone seems happy to pile into the auction's "sure thing".

Any idea how the price changes in these auctions after the tender closes? Does it revert to the price that PLMD pays for its own shares, or will it float with the market again?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 01:27 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
That's a great in light of the market. I would be happy even if the gain is flat.
I meant how much of our salary we will save + pay down on mortgage debt. If the markets go up, that will be gravy. This is the first year we've really begun to save big time money. We may be able to retire in 14 years after all!
Old 05-27-2005, 04:40 PM   #34

Interesting thought Laurence. I bet if you bought an ETF you would be less inclined to panic or feel buyer's remorse if it drops. Mentally you will prb tell yourself you did no wrong & made a good bet on a bad sector. But if you bought one stock you will prb tell yourself you did the wrong thing & made a bad bet on a bad stock. Think about it. 'Deep Thoughts' by Jack Handy.
Old 05-27-2005, 06:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Interesting thought Laurence.* I bet if you bought an ETF you would be less inclined to panic or feel buyer's remorse if it drops.* Mentally you will prb tell yourself you did no wrong & made a good bet on a bad sector.* But if you bought one stock you will prb tell yourself you did the wrong thing & made a bad bet on a bad stock.* Think about it.* 'Deep Thoughts' by Jack Handy.*
Is Jack Handy related to W.C. Handy? Just curious. Getting the blues over your stock picks can sure muddy the waters.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:19 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Reason why it sounds familiar to you John is that Jacky Handy is related to Mary Palm...

Laurence...you might be taking the same trend I took...I bought a lot of individual stocks, then bought ETF's...mostly QQQ's although I grabbed some sector picks...then REITS and managed balanced funds...then added some sector picks back to the reits and managed balanced funds. Someday I'll dribble into indexes I suppose.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:11 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Well, clearly an opportunity was missed on 24 May.* But everyone seems happy to pile into the auction's "sure thing".*

Any idea how the price changes in these auctions after the tender closes?* Does it revert to the price that PLMD pays for its own shares, or will it float with the market again?
My limited experience with tender offers is that the stock usually does very well after the tender is complete. I watched PPD run up about 50% after they completed their tender last year. PLMD's tender is a lot bigger as a % of the total shares outstanding, so it may be that things will be even more interesting. In any case, I don't think you'd want to buy just because of a tender offer; you have got to be interested in the underlying business. PLMD is the biggest supplier of diabetes testing supplies and related services to Medicare beneficiaries. They also have a rapidly-expanding mail-order pharmacy and a respiratory meds business in run-off. The current plan is to get into the business of providing diabetes management services to HMOs and other payors. Every study I have ever seen shows that diabetics who manage their disease are far less costly to the insurer and have better quality of life than those who don't. Should be an easy sell for PLMD, IMO. You also get the benefit of and incredibly fast-expanding potential market because all us fat ass Americans are getting diabetes at epidemic-type rates.

Still, do your own due diligence. I have owned this stock for years, and it has been a bit of a wild ride at times.

- George Orwell

Old 05-28-2005, 12:47 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
My limited experience with tender offers is that the stock usually does very well after the tender is complete.* I watched PPD run up about 50% after they completed their tender last year.* PLMD's tender is a lot bigger as a % of the total shares outstanding, so it may be that things will be even more interesting.* In any case, I don't think you'd want to buy just because of a tender offer; you have got to be interested in the underlying business.* PLMD is the biggest supplier of diabetes testing supplies and related services to Medicare beneficiaries.* They also have a rapidly-expanding mail-order pharmacy and a respiratory meds business in run-off.* The current plan is to get into the business of providing diabetes management services to HMOs and other payors.* Every study I have ever seen shows that diabetics who manage their disease are far less costly to the insurer and have better quality of life than those who don't.* Should be an easy sell for PLMD, IMO.* You also get the benefit of and incredibly fast-expanding potential market because all us fat ass Americans are getting diabetes at epidemic-type rates.

Still, do your own due diligence.* I have owned this stock for years, and it has been a bit of a wild ride at times.
Thanks, Brewer. I agree with your analysis of the stock but I don't have any experience with the auction process. I'll sit on the sidelines until the auction concludes and see how the price moves.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 08:58 PM   #39

I have not been reading the boards as much lately as previously. What is the deal with the different names TH? Is this in a thread that I missed? Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 09:02 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
I have not been reading the boards as much lately as previously. What is the deal with the different names TH? Is this in a thread that I missed? Dreamer
Ssshhhhhh...

Don't ask, don't tell. Information will be provided only on a need to know basis.

REW