Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by plex View Post
Medicaid will kick in at 133% PL or lower. That also happens to be the point when food subsidies kick in for some states.

Medicaid would be free, but for someone on the borderline between Medicaid and a full subsidy on the health exchanges, it may be preferable to get that income above 133% PL with roth conversions to get on the health exchanges. While free sounds great, Medicaid will likely not be nearly as universally usable as a policy from the health exchanges. I'm sure there will be comparisons available in 2014.
I thought the Medicaid expansion was the one part of the law the SC struck down.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yeah, I knew the phaseout of the subsidy was (IMO) pretty punitive in solidly middle class income brackets. But I had no idea there was a "cliff" this steep.
It is correct. Check out the subsidy cliff/marginal tax for a 64-year-old with a family of 4.
Disclaimer - I am an independent insurance agent. If the above message contains insurance-related content, it is NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient depending on specific circumstances. Don't rely on it for any purpose. I do encourage you to consult an independent agent for insurance-related advice if you have a question that is specific in nature.
dgoldenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone know what the definition of "income" is/will be? And will what they use for 2014 be based on 2013 or 2012 tax returns (or something else)?
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravis View Post
What I got from that calculator and tables was that if your income is 125% or less of poverty level, healthcare for you and your family is free.

[mod edit]
I am less than 125% of poverty level. I wonder if that means what I paid in health insurance for the year will come back as a tax refund? Or do I need to buy insurance at all?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I'm too lazy to try to read all of the stuff about this, but am I accurate if I say that since I am on Medicare/Tricare that I will incur no new federal taxes under this legislation?

That almost seems to easy.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Anyone know what the definition of "income" is/will be? And will what they use for 2014 be based on 2013 or 2012 tax returns (or something else)?
I tried to look it up way back. I recall thinking that it comes from a fairly high level on your 1040 (above AGI). Don't count on getting special treatment for dividends, IRA contributions, or muni interest.

With respect to "which tax year" I think it will be based on 2014 income with penalty / subsidy payments trued-up at tax time in 2015.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:50 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Here's an article about a guy requesting a pay cut in order to qualify for better health care for his daughter: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/30/us...certainty.html
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I'm too lazy to try to read all of the stuff about this, but am I accurate if I say that since I am on Medicare/Tricare that I will incur no new federal taxes under this legislation?
I know how you feel. I had illusions of writing a blog post on this topic but I gave up after an hour's research.

The short answer is that Tricare beneficiaries are exempted from this legislation. I may be glossing over the finer points but that's the Cliff Notes version.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post

If you exceed the capital gains limits ($250k married?) you would get hit with the extra Medicare surcharge. That's all that comes quickly to mind.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
If you exceed the capital gains limits ($250k married?) you would get hit with the extra Medicare surcharge. That's all that comes quickly to mind.
I'm kinda confused on that, but I thought the Medicare surcharge only applied to income taxes on earned income-- not cap gains.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 06-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm kinda confused on that, but I thought the Medicare surcharge only applied to income taxes on earned income-- not cap gains.
Nope, starting 2013 that threshold is based on your AGI which includes cap gains and other taxable passive income.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Nope, starting 2013 that threshold is based on your AGI which includes cap gains and other taxable passive income.
Sheesh. I sure hope TurboTax is on top of all of this.

Either that or I'll just have to try to keep our AGI under $250K-- yeah, I think I can make that work...

Old 07-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Either that or I'll just have to try to keep our AGI under $250K-- yeah, I think I can make that work...
There ya go! A simple strategy LOL!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I thought the Medicaid expansion was the one part of the law the SC struck down.
Not quite. My understanding is that the SC ruled that the penalty from the Feds for states refusing to expand Medicare can't exceed simply not getting the federal subsidies for that expansion (100% for the first 3 years, then 90%).
Old 07-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Not quite. My understanding is that the SC ruled that the penalty from the Feds for states refusing to expand Medicare can't exceed simply not getting the federal subsidies for that expansion (100% for the first 3 years, then 90%).
That is my understanding as well. From SCOTUSblog http://www.scotusblog.com/2012/06/co...aid-expansion/
Quote:
The Court’s decision on the constitutionality of the Medicaid expansion is divided and complicated. The bottom line is that: (1) Congress acted constitutionally in offering states funds to expand coverage to millions of new individuals; (2) So states can agree to expand coverage in exchange for those new funds; (3) If the state accepts the expansion funds, it must obey by the new rules and expand coverage; (4) but a state can refuse to participate in the expansion without losing all of its Medicaid funds; instead the state will have the option of continue the its current, unexpanded plan as is.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote