Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Obsessed with value?
Old 03-22-2005, 03:40 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My fear is that while were away we'll be feeding all the area critters too. The cats did a crummy job of defending the outdoor food supply. The neighbor said he was filling the bowl everyday! Lotsa coons, skunks, possum, etc. I think I'll give the electronic one a shot but my cats hate collars and get free of them easily. Still considering options.

BUM

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2005, 03:48 AM   #62

Obsessed with value? Not me... Its been spring for a week fer chrissakes. When do the garage sales start?

Old 03-28-2005, 06:50 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Ahh garage sales... one of the great by-product phenomema of the American consumer society...luv'em.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:26 AM   #64

Garage sale, yard sale, tag sale, estate sale, flea market, last stop before the dump. What else are these events called?

This subject probably deserves it own thread. I dont know which I like better, going to - or having a garage sale. Tools of the trade: A wad of singles and fives in the console and rope in the trunk.

How do you think I got this laptop?

BUM
Old 04-16-2005, 03:39 AM   #65

Hello BUM and all. I was tempted to list all the stuff we have here which was acquired at garage sales, yard sales, etc. Too long. Some of the best stuff has been
free, as in "picked up along side the road free".
Most of this was easily resold. Right now I have sitting in the pickup a 12 HP riding mower I picked up a week ago. Don't know if it runs, but the motor, tires, wheels
and battery will get me $50 easy with a free ad.
Easy money! BTW, if I wasn't so busy with other stuff
this would be a fun "no pressure" income producer
(selling other people's castoffs).

JG
Old 04-17-2005, 07:23 AM   #66

JG

Good thing we dont live nearby. I can see it now 2 pickups heading for the same pile of crap...

Last night me and DW are on the way to the restaurant and I passed a nice looking oak spindle-back kitchen or writing desk type chair. On the way home it was still there! Not any more! Dragged it out this morning in the light of day... its beautiful nary a scratch on it.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:28 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I lived in the SF south bay area, they used to have "junk clearance" once a year. Everybody put everything they didnt want in front of the curb in the street. Was a nice way to keep people from becoming junk collectors. At the end of the week, the city came by with dump trucks and dozers and scooped it all up.

I was always amazed at how huge the piles of junk were. Most homes had a heap the size of a train car out front.

Hordes of people in pickup trucks drove up and down all the streets that week, guys jumping out and grabbing stuff.

Some poor $^%# was moving that week and had a couple of dressers out in his driveway, went in the house, came back, they were gone.

I think I figured it out though. The city picked up a lot but a lot of people just took each others junk.

We're having our cul-de-sac-wide semi-annual yard sale in a couple of weeks. Which is good...I have a garage full of stuff ready to go...the end result of shoveling ~4600 square feet of stuff from two homes into 1800 square feet...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 06:56 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

When my boys were a bit younger and we'd be going somewhere in the car we would often see many of those white plastic 5 gallon pails on the side of the road. I would slow the car a bit and say "I'll pull off the side and you run back and see what shape that bucket is in. If it doesn't have holes bring it to the car!" Whoever was in the front seat would lok at me like I had just lost my marbles and say "M-o-o-o-m, no way!" "Oh, come on, you can never have too many of those, it'll just take a sec" then I'd continue driving and they would start to breathe again. To this day when we pass one, they'll give me that out of the corner of the eye look, and say "Don't even think about it!"

Judy
Old 04-19-2005, 01:47 PM   #69

Quote:
When my boys were a bit younger and we'd be going somewhere in the car we would often see many of those white plastic 5 gallon pails on the side of the road. I would slow the car a bit and say "I'll pull off the side and you run back and see what shape that bucket is in. If it doesn't have holes bring it to the car!" Whoever was in the front seat would lok at me like I had just lost my marbles and say "M-o-o-o-m, no way!" "Oh, come on, you can never have too many of those, it'll just take a sec" then I'd continue driving and they would start to breathe again. To this day when we pass one, they'll give me that out of the corner of the eye look, and say "Don't even think about it!"

Judy

Judy,

You go girlfriend! Can't have too many buckets. Need one myself for the next project..sump pump pit...yukkies.

BUM
Old 04-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #70

Obviously, I pick up buckets, tiedowns, lumber,
and anything
"set out" for the taking. If it's free, I take a look.
If I can use it or sell it, it goes in the truck.

JG
Old 04-21-2005, 06:02 PM   #71

Today's gem. A park bench! Cast iron ends. Came out fine with a coat of rustoleum gloss black. The nasty slats after a hard belt sanding turned out to be redwood! Woohoo
Old 04-22-2005, 08:15 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Today's gem. A park bench! Cast iron ends. Came out fine with a coat of rustoleum gloss black. The nasty slats after a hard belt sanding turned out to be redwood! Woohoo
Hey, Bum-- the park people called, and they want you to return the bench...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 08:37 AM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm buying a truck! I passed up $400.00 worth of stuff on the side of the road for cleanup day this morning. Is the bad gas mileage worth it?

Bruce
Old 04-22-2005, 08:49 AM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yep...a truck and one of them 3 pronged grappling hooks, 50' of rope...you could have yourself quite a load of goodies...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 09:27 AM   #75

Quote:
Hey, Bum-- the park people called, and they want you to return the bench...

Ahhh bench? bench? What bench? Oh that bench! Yeah, the town moved it here to keep the BUMs out of the park. ;D