Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-20-2009, 05:02 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Down 15 % after withdrawals down 9 % if withdrawals are thrown back in.

ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
I just went back and did the math. We are still down 10%. Last 1 1/4 years, we put all of our 401k into Stable Value - instead of plowing it back into the market. We were unsure of the employment situation (fears proved correct) so we wanted to be able to bolster our bond allocation when we did a rollover.

Our investing instinct was to plow money back into the market when it was so beaten up, but in an abundance of caution, we just rode it out and took our licks. However, given that we are 62, almost 63, we definitely needed to consider the circumstances. We are in the process of doing a lot of adjusting. Of course - the big enigma for us now is the bond portion - and the controversy over looming interest rate hikes.

molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #23
21sep07 192k
21sep08 179K
21sep09 175K

Not sure how much I contributed into the account during that time. Somewhere around 15% of my salary.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #24
Portfolio balance is up about 10% since Sept 2007. Keep in mind we have continued to actively contribute. So, in terms of actual return on investment, we are down - not sure how much. I don't know how to run those calculations, so I just keep it simple and look at the overall net worth.

We are almost back to the personal portfolio high reached in June 2008.
simple girl
less stuff, more time

(48, married; DH 52. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH will fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:56 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I forgot to capture a snapshot of my exact porfolio at year end 08, and I'm still DCAing in every month and reinvesting some nice 30 day dividends off my muni funds.
So don't make me think and do the exact math - I'm FIREd!
Actually, my overall PF value is getting pretty close to where I was Jan 08.
So that means I'm still in Lossland.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:24 PM   #26
It can be sort of fun to look back at the peak and commiserate about how much richer we were then, but we shouldn't let it get us down. If you retired before that crash, it is very possible that you are "still in the black" even if you show a big decline since the peak. My portfolio is certainly like that. Down 11% but my investments are still worth a (very little) more than I paid for them.

I don't know how the others do it, but if you are with Vanguard when you click on the "Performance" tab in your "My Portfolio" screen, the default is "Balance Trend", which can look pretty ugly. It is easy to overlook, but there is also an "Investment Returns" tab.
rose-colored glasses.gif
Have a look at the "Market Appreciation/Depreciation" column, you might be pleasantly surprised.

My apologies to those of you who know all of this better than I. I just just recently discovered that tab and figured others might have overlooked it also.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:43 PM   #27
Down 11%. Was 50/50 then and now I'm 38/62 and I plan to sell equity rallies to stay there until next year at this time.
“I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” Alan Greenspan
Bikerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:38 AM   #28
I'm down 15% from my all-time high. I'd like to put more into equities, but I'm maintaining an AA that needs a couple of more tweaks away from equities. So even if the market comes totally back, I'll probably lag a little behind.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets
I've only been working 2 years so mine is almost cheating, since very small starting account balance but....

For the period (03/23/2009 - 09/23/2009) 51.31%
For the 12 months ending 09/23/2009 28.25%

HornedToad10 is offline   Reply With Quote