Oct 2007

It can be sort of fun to look back at the peak and commiserate about how much richer we were then, but we shouldn't let it get us down. If you retired before that crash, it is very possible that you are "still in the black" even if you show a big decline since the peak. My portfolio is certainly like that. Down 11% but my investments are still worth a (very little) more than I paid for them.

I don't know how the others do it, but if you are with Vanguard when you click on the "Performance" tab in your "My Portfolio" screen, the default is "Balance Trend", which can look pretty ugly. It is easy to overlook, but there is also an "Investment Returns" tab.
rose-colored glasses.gif
Have a look at the "Market Appreciation/Depreciation" column, you might be pleasantly surprised.

My apologies to those of you who know all of this better than I. I just just recently discovered that tab and figured others might have overlooked it also.

Down 11%. Was 50/50 then and now I'm 38/62 and I plan to sell equity rallies to stay there until next year at this time.:)

I'm down 15% from my all-time high. I'd like to put more into equities, but I'm maintaining an AA that needs a couple of more tweaks away from equities. So even if the market comes totally back, I'll probably lag a little behind.

I've only been working 2 years so mine is almost cheating, since very small starting account balance but....

For the period (03/23/2009 - 09/23/2009) 51.31%
For the 12 months ending 09/23/2009 28.25%

Back
Top Bottom